It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child falls from eighth floor…while adults shoot video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by -Thom-

Well that’s fair enough... we all have our opinions and all i can do is express mine...

I do understand what you, and operation mindcrime, are talking about... but i personally see it like this...

If everyone just stood there not knowing what to do, waiting for others to help, or in shock i would understand it. However, they didn’t... they filmed it!!!

Answer me this one question...

If you see a human being on the floor horrifically injured after an accident... and you are not medically trained and do not know how to help the person... would you get out your mobile phone and start filming???

Seriously, come on people, can we not see just how sick this is?? Its turning a tragedy into a freak show and then we make excuses for it!

The " bystander effect" Pfft

I am starting to wonder if there is another psychological effect at work here... an undiscovered one that make us decent humans think up excuses, for the inexcusable, just so that we can comfort ourselves with the thought that some people are not completely selfish moronic buffoons...

Sometimes a spade is a spade!!

Just my opinion,

Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by -Thom-

Seriously, come on people, can we not see just how sick this is?? Its turning a tragedy into a freak show and then we make excuses for it!

I am starting to wonder if there is another psychological effect at work here... an undiscovered one that make us decent humans think up excuses, for the inexcusable, just so that we can comfort ourselves with the thought that some people are not completely selfish moronic buffoons...

Just my opinion,

Peace

I can never star your posts enough, esp. this one!

Very well said, thank you.

sl

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Fair enough....

On a side note, do you remember when those two planes struck the world trade center?? What, out of all the footage, is the one think that stayed with you the longest??

Was it the fireball that was created when those planes crashed? Or was it the people covered in dust roaming through the streets like zombies?

Changes are pretty big the most horrific thing you saw that day (as did everybody else) were those people hanging out windows and leaping to their death. We all watched. In horror......but we watched non the less.

Are we all disturbed psychopaths?? Nope, it just human nature....

A sick, twisted, dark, macabre nature but very much part of what we are...

Just my humble opinion.

Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Oh yeah sorry I forgot people have a secret morph power to suddenly turn themselves into a giant trampoline!!!

Get real, this was an awful event that has just been sensationalised by spin, to make it a more interesting story to sell papers!!!!

Geeze people!! Why are so many people blind to the truth these days??

Korg.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by -Thom-

Well that’s fair enough... we all have our opinions and all i can do is express mine...

I do understand what you, and operation mindcrime, are talking about... but i personally see it like this...

If everyone just stood there not knowing what to do, waiting for others to help, or in shock i would understand it. However, they didn’t... they filmed it!!!

Answer me this one question...

If you see a human being on the floor horrifically injured after an accident... and you are not medically trained and do not know how to help the person... would you get out your mobile phone and start filming???

Just my opinion,

Peace

Totally different situation. A seriously injured person is more strongly associated with help and action -because there is an evident emergency situation. Ofcourse, the child walking at a roof or whatever, also is an emergancy situation. But the association is different. Besides, nobody really knows how it went, for all you know the child was just walking there, and fell suddenly. People in that kind of situation easily expect parents to turn up and call the child. So the situation doesn't demand immediate action. Remember: I'm not talking about common sense or ratio here, I'm talking about reflexive responses. I do not try to talk it right, I just explain the mechanism.
By the way, Kitty Genovese was severely hurt, raped, and that situation promted research of the bystander effect (actually, the bystander effect was called into existence after that particular incident If I remember correctly). Is that less sick than the situation with the child? Please tell me, because you are implying that it's not a psychological mechanism at work, but just appaling human nature. Which, ofcourse, is wrongly and emotionally put.

I understand you emotional response though.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by -Thom-]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Hmmm. Well i was going to write my initial reaction to this artical..humans can be absolutely unpredictable creatures while being completely predictable in other ways..its sad this happened and i think it does show a great deal of mentally in humanity as a whole..youtube matters, the reactions and attention they get from taking such a video and showing it to family and friends is more important these days even and thats a scary thing id have to say..
But. then there is the question of what the hell could anyone have done at this time that the child was free falling? im pretty sure my first reaction would be absolute terror, but in that terror it would make me MORE active in trying to soften the landing somehow or catching the child, but from 10 stories even a softer landing or them landing on someone trying to catch them also could have killed both child and the person trying to help..not to mention how quickly one must actually react in order to be of any use at all.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by corruptedtesssa]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Why did they get out the mobiles.?
Seeing a kid standing at window is no reason to whip out a phone and start filming.
If it were people would be crowded around windows everywhere.

It is obvious they saw it was a dangerous situation and wished to film the potential tragedy about to unfold.

As a previous poster mentions someone could have hauled their lazy backside upstairs to knock on the door.Called out "hey kid get away from the window"

This issue is close to my heart as it reminds me of an incident in my friends life.

My dear friend dived off a jetty and pulled a 5 year old girl out of a sinking car.He did not have time to pull out the girls mother and grandmother.Sadly they died.While he and a friend pulled out the girl (2 man job in a quickly sinking car) and administered CPR a crowd of over 50 gathered to watch as car was consumed by the water,the two women drowned.And they should all hang their heads in shame.The death of two women caused by their selfish complacency.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mumma in pyjamas

Why did they get out the mobiles.?
Seeing a kid standing at window is no reason to whip out a phone and start filming.
If it were people would be crowded around windows everywhere.

People record stuff all the time, It's called reporting. They simply did not have enough physical time to do anything other than to record.

I might also add that life in Asia is not quite as clean cut as it is out in the west. Things happen out there daily that would make a westerner squirm.

A case of desensitised muted emotional response? maybe?? A case of helpless to do anything... definitely.

Korg.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

This is not a case of someone standing right next to where she fell and chose to do nothing!!

Just exactly what do you propose these people should have done????

Then what is it? It is apparent that they saw a dangerous situation about to unfold as a tradgedy and instead of interjecting themselves, they decided to film it. They could have looked for a blanket or anything to break the fall. They could have ran up and knocked on the door to alert the parents and they certainly could have called the authorities.

The people who took images were not close enough to attempt a catch and a fall from 8 stories is actually enough distance to reach terminal velocity...

An object will fall roughly 8m/s². Considering that the girl only fell roughly 20m, it is not enough to reach terminal velocity.

even if you were able to attempt a catch you would be flattened as would the girl be.

Not if you found anything to break the fall. Things such as a blanket or coat even. Apparently, these people were filming the little girl as she was playing near the window. All it would take, is for someone to run upstairs and notify the parents.

It would have been over in an instant.. exactly how do you suppose anyone could have helped???

See above.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This:

She got dressed and, without adult attention, was playing on the windowsill. There were quite a few people on the busy road near the house. Shocked by what was going on, many stopped to watch the “show”. However, no one lifted a finger to prevent the tragedy.

And this:

It was only three to four minutes later that Kristina noticed a cat walking on the windowsill and tried to reach out for the pet. Her little hands slipped and the girl fell down.

Suggest there was time for the onlookers on the street to TRY to prevent her fall. Any one of the losers could have called the police or went to the family's door instead of recording the girl. I'd even be willing to concede that the onlookers lack of intervention was due to their not realizing what the danger was, had they just went about their day, but the RECORDING of the scene suggests they KNEW the danger and chose to watch it unfold... Disgusting behavior.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Edit by second thought.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by -Thom-]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

your society is rotten, anywhere else in the world a thousand people would have rushed to her and tried to save her. no-one has to destroy america you guys are self destructing before your eyes.

Kristina Sulanova was still breathing. However, she died on the way to hospital in the small city of Miass in the Urals.

Now I may be an ignorant American, but I don't recall the place they mention in RUSSIA TODAY being anywhere near Texas(yeehaaa!):

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by -Thom-

Totally different situation. A seriously injured person is more strongly associated with help and action -because there is an evident emergency situation. Ofcourse, the child walking at a roof or whatever, also is an emergancy situation. But the association is different.

I think that maybe you should read (or re-read) the linked story...

“There were many onlookers downstairs, but none of them were rushing to help her. Only a minute later a man ran to the girl. Others were just standing and filming everything on their mobile phones,” she said.

This, to me, suggests that the onlookers not only filmed the child before the fall... but also stood around filming her while she lay on the ground dying.

This, i believe, makes my example a very similar situation.

I really don’t understand how people can try and justify the behaviour of these people...

They were filming this on MOBILE PHONES!!!!

Devices thats primary function is to MAKE PHONE CALLS!!!!

So instead of using the secondary function of their phones, for their own personal selfish reasons, why didn’t they use the primary function and phone for help???

And even if they all thought that someone else had already called for help.... it is still extremely distasteful to film a dying child on the floor!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join