It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Back to School? Bring Your Own Toilet Paper

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Baloney

Ummm, you foregot football. Southern states are about church/bibles and football. Not necessarily in that order.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think it's just cheap teachers. Those are things that probably are supposed to be paid for with their pocket money so they just tell the kids to bring them. Parents need to stand up against that crap and just not bring anything.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Teachers are not required to pay for TP and all other bathroom supplies. The district of the school is required to that. What would your thoughts be having to teach numerous kids or teens a day and bring supply's for all of them daily five times a week?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Obama Obama Obama!

It's like Beetlejuice with some of you people.

I'm not a fan either, but OMFG! My kids have been taking toilet paper (and a list as long as your arm of other crazy stuff, like band-aids) to school in Colorado for 7 years.

Sign of the times? Yeah -- sign of the 2000's.

I'm in Colorado and there was no toilet paper or baindaids on my daughter's school list (Douglas County). On her list was the basics that didn't surprise me at all: folders, pencils, journals and some supplies for art (wipes, etc). There was nothing unusual. No paper towels, trash bags, and so on. So its not all of Colorado. Must be based on school district because it is not Colorado wide.

With that said. I remember being super excited to buy school supplies as a kid and I remember it being a huge long list. We even brought kleenex. Do not believe "wipes" existed back then (now I age myself :duh
So, Im not sure the outrage with kids bringing in supplies. I went to school in the 70s and kids buying school supplies were ALWAYS a part of school. This is nothing new. Now the TP, yeah, sounds like some school districts do not know how to manage their money. But this is nothing new.

[edit on August 16th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

You're probably right. I would imagine the list is determined at the district level. Mine are in rural El Paso county. Let me see if I can dig up the "shopping list" from the internet.

Hrmm, no luck as school started 2 weeks ago. Of course, as you know, the lists are provided to Wal Mart about a month before school starts, which is where we generally shop for cheap school supplies.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
this is really a corporate and school system scam office supply corps say put out these bullcrap lists as mandatory and we will give you a huge discount or a kick back. lots of crap on those lists are never used. clorox wipes for kindergarders PLEASE.what itteligent person is going to let a five yearold use such harsh chemical wipes. dumb arse sheeple seem to feel like they are helping by going out to get this crap i keep reminding my poor friends that our constitution gurantees every child a right to a free and public education in the district in which they live. elementary schools have no business having a multi million dollar football field built when they are putting children in mobile homes converteted into class rooms. i would know i worked at a school like that as a temp janitor they had 2 sets of bathrooms for boys and girls and a population of 860 kids so 4 stalls for boys and 6 for girls k thru 5. but football field with lighting for night games
and bleacher capacity for 2000 a full size gymnasium and i think they are vtalking about adding a pool. but they don't have a text book for all the kids so some of them recieve school textbooks on cdrom

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

But aren't they required to bring some of the stuff on that list? If not, my bad. It's just the school being cheap.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Well maybe in an elementary school they can bring toys they purchased. In Cali the school districts are so stripped for cash that numerous of the schools are closing down. California being the leading welfare state in the U.S. should show how many else where how hard it is to be continuing getting limited money from the state. Also others on disability, elderly, food stamps, etc.
When you see protest on the news in California know ahead that jobs and schools are a leading cause for the protest.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Im not sure how some think a teacher or the disctrict can pay for every supply all the kids need. Are you willing to pay more in taxes?

My tax money (real estate taxes) go towards the school district. But what about all those kids whos parents do not pay real estate taxes....that means all the parents who DO would then pick up the tab for those who DONT.

Now, its up to the school district and those who vote to ensure that they follow a good budget and dont waste money.

In order for the district to supply ALL supplies, I would bet my real estate taxes would have to sky rocket and I would still be covering for those who do not own a house. No thank you. Id rather pay the little amount for supplies, than have my taxes raised!

I think it is selfish that those who do not buy supplies expect ME a tax payer to pick up their tab. Just my .02

[edit on August 16th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The school system shouldn't provide all supplies, just the ones that have nothing to do with education. For instance the schools should pay for toilet paper and the parents should pay for pencils, paper, etcetera.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Just my opinion, but in my dealings with town and school commitees, superintendents, etc...they are voted in and out just like our senate and congress...get involved!! If you don't like something in the system, attend the local meetings and DO something about it...Our family recieved our "lists" this year and my k-gartener has to bring NOTHING-all supplies are provided through donations, my 2nd grader has the typical list you refer to as pencils, crayons, etc...Does this mean a "free" ride for my k-gartener, Oh, NO!! I will still donate pencils, crayons and such for his class, can I provide for everyone, No, but just a little from a few helps...I will also donate boxes of crackers, tissues, hand sanitizer for my childrens classes...my thoughts are with the few parents who may not be able to afford to do so, and instead of criticizing, I will step up for my children and their friends/ classmates to help out with what I can...It TRULY does take a village, besides...I love being able to do these things because I enjoy watching my children and their friends play sports, music, etc...and in order for these programs to NOT get cut either my taxes go up, or people donate...I choose the latter...every "little bit" adds up to a thing called community... I could never morally accept my child coming home and telling me his little friend "Johnny" doesn't have snacks at snacktime because his parents are on hard times...In my childrens class it's called sharing which is key to promoting the change we want to see in our childrens future...like I said, just my opinion...

edited to add the donations for our kindergarten classes come from local business in the community as well as parents...

[edit on 16-8-2010 by rockhndr]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Am I to think you are referring to renters in the statement you made about people who don't pay taxes?? The rent is calculated according to the LANDLORDS bills for running an apartment complex, so in the real world...taxes ARE being paid through the landlord...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

First of all...the article talks about ONE school with toilet paper on the list and this school is in Honolulu (Im sure they have their own system of things of how they need to work out supplies).

Toilet paper is not a normal item asked for by schools but now Im not surprised really that the school was in Honolulu that was asking for this.

About all the other stuff...I dont see the big difference.

Everyone wants to whine about things it seems. Your child is getting a public education....your child will need things while there at the public school.

I have no problem with having to send my children with a list of things they will USE AT school. They are at school during the week more then they are at home during awake hours. Our taxes do pay for a lot in the schools!!

There is always places that will help also, if you cant find a way to pay for the items, just ask the teacher.

For 3 kids this year, my school lists were very high. One just started preschool....so he actually had the most stuff to take. Everything from paper towels to crayons to antibacterial wipes. The older kids just need binders, paper, pens, pencils and odds and ins. Places like preschools are going to have larger lists of dry goods....like paper towels ect. Preschools may even ask for the toilet paper but I have yet to see that myself.

Its tough on the kids that can not get all the things they need...so instead of just sending your kids with what YOU THINK they need...ask for a little help so you can get their list of supplies. It takes a village, to raise children. There are always places that will help you fulfill your lists for your child's education.

Someone mentioned something about the south and schools. I do live in the Bible belt....I have no issues what so ever with this being a issue in the schools. We moved from the north to the south in mid swing of school time and there was no difference in the school system that involved anything about religion or faith. The preschool my youngest goes to is in a church...and they will have daily bible lesson for 20 mins....but this is by choice..there are plenty of places I could of took him that was not in a church.

I guess if you have such a issue with the school lists of items they are needing...maybe home schooling if more suited for you.

Even if I did see toilet paper on the list...I would not complain. This is my child I am sending to someone else for their education. Im happy to send them with supplies.

LV

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A lot of people who have posted are completely CLUELESS as to what is going on.

I'll sum it up: The School Systems are BROKE! The local governments are BROKE! The State governments are BROKE! The National Government is BROKE!

See a trend here folks?

While we dig a 14 TRILLION dollar whole fighting wars and giving foreign aid, our children are being pumped out from schools straight out of "Idiocracy".

Those of you without children are saying "Well why should I care?"
I'll give you one good reason:
The children of today will be the adults of tomorrow that will be wiping your butt at the nursing home. Do you REALLY want a moron who doesn't know right from left to be wiping your butt when your 90 years old????

[edit on 16-8-2010 by bismarcksea]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

I'll sum it up: The School Systems are BROKE! The local governments are BROKE! The State governments are BROKE! The National Government is BROKE!

See a trend here folks?
I definitely see a trend.

I am broke too.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Actually, they used TP as nose-blowing and tear-wiping tissue and to wipe up spills when my son was in school. Instead of paper towels and the regular tissues, which were usually too rough. They just stuck the roll on each table when they were doing projects. Just saying it might not be because the school is not providing TP for its usual purposes.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

You actually made a valid point and I do agree with you.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I remember my father telling me that when in primary school, they had to bring a sod of turf l for the school-rooms open fireplace .

That was Ireland 65 years ago.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Honestly this comes as no surprise to me. In my son's school, we have an utterly crazy list of about 50 items we have to buy for 'school supplies.' At the bottom of the list they have printed in bold font for the parents not to label anything with the student's name except 2 folders.

Why? Because they're communal supplies.

Verbatim it states, 'Please do not label the supplies with your child's name. We share.
Only label two of the bracketed folders with your child's name.'

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Wow!

And I thought school was crappy back when I went.

Sorry, you knew somebody had to say it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join