It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The blaspheming conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This is probably nothing and it may be my active imagination getting the best of me, but has anyone noticed how much blaspheming occurs in movies and TV? I'm not religious, so I am not deliberately picking it up every time I hear it, but I noticed recently that almost all (if not all) of the movies I have watched recently beat you over the head with "Jesus" "Christ" "Holy" and "God" and very often in combination with swear words. So the question is.. how did blaspheming become so pervasive in our language to the point where we hear it ad nauseum? Is it possible that it is in some way intentional?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
My feeling is that curse words are loaded and emotional ... they send more power than a non-curse substitute ... and most of what you see in movies and television is hyperbolic. Ever notice how much violence and death you see in the movies? I know the world's a nasty place, but I've never seen someone get killed (in real life) in my 40 years. And I've only rarely seen someone carrying a gun in public. The movies would have you believe shoot-outs, car chases and ultraviolence were pervasive everywhere, rather than just in the localized regions it actually is.

I also believe it's common to use language for the purposes of achieving a specific and desired rating. A non-children's movie being rated G is the kiss of death, so they'll throw in enough mild cursing to hike it up to a PG, or more likely, the default PG-13. Same goes with any movie that wants the panache of an R. Just a few words can do it.

It's been going on so long, a movie doesn't seem right to movie makers without tons of language, so I think it's in there now just because it has been for so long.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm not whether it's life imitating art or art imitating life but the use of God and Jesus in swearing is very instinctive in real life. If you've ever seen a more serious role playing game with it's own deity mythology you will see people fumble their when letting curse words slip. It leads to quite a few "Oh God...I mean gods" and "Jesus Ch...$^%".

new topics

join