It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding topics for threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I've seen many good topics in my short time on here, but I want to be more involved by starting threads of my own. I've started one here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But as you can see it's simply something I've found and posted a link to.

I just wondered if anyone could give me tips for finding up-to-date news to share? Or some ways of finding interesting articles etc.. or any other way of coming up with an interesting thread?

It's probably common sense to most on here, however this is my first ever registration to a forum

Hope you can help

Kyle

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Finding new topics can be quite difficult, sometimes you can just go at a new topic form a different perspective or elaborate on a existing conspiracy. For inspiration you could try reading through a few threads from other members.

When it comes to the news stuff, well i don’t really use ATS for news but I do use allot of news sites so when i find something other members might be interested i’ll post that.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I usually like to remember various things i see and hear through out the day..not just for posting for purposes but also just for GP.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

I just wondered if anyone could give me tips for finding up-to-date news to share?

You could always join twitter and start following various news stations giving you up to date news as it happens.

Oh and if you join under your ATS username you get 5,000 points as well. (This thread explains)

Or at least I think you still do anyway...

ETA: Fixed link

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It sounds like you're trying to put the cart before the horse.

All things are potentially very interesting, but it takes someone who is interested in the subject to make someone else interested. So, in other words, find something that interests you and follow it until you can't. Your other thread is about a NASA scramjet... research other NASA projects (hey, why not Project Omega - what's NASA doing researching algae biofuels? Does that mean they need to find alternate fuel sources? Does that mean that Peak Oil is real? If PO is real, what does the govt have planned to deal with it? etc, etc) Everything is connected to everything else and if you follow it long enough, hey maybe it will even take you to the secrets of the universe, or even God.

But make it fast. Time's running out.

edit to add: use google alot. with the "&" and pdf. Or just create your own google news feed with your own search terms. It's not hard to find the info, just hard to accept that no one is going to spoonfeed you the truth. Sounds like you've made it over that hump.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by jcrash]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There are various firefox add-ons you can use, i personally don't bother usually...any topic you see will wind up being posted pretty soon after by another member. If you care about flags i guess it matters about getting in their first. If it matters to you i would suggest picking a topic and researching for a few weeks and then posting a large thread on it rather than posting breaking news.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hello there I have a site for you which gives a round up of interesting news stories;

www.rense.com...

I usually have a geoffrey duke on here once every few days. He tends to post up interesting news stories that are generally conspiracy related.

Word of warning though he may be secretly an anti-semite not just and anti-zionist. So take his own articles and the headings he gives them, with a pinch of salt! Good luck

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

'may' be? he is a raging anti-semite, that is no secret... but of course any rational person can sift through the BS and filter out the good parts, there are a lot of interesting things on Rense that shouldn't be discarded simply because of this.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think, In general,
Most people just post things when they come across something interesting.
I don't think most people go searching for something interesting just to make a thread on it.

Some probably do,
But I think the majority of posters just find good stuff as they are surfing through cyberspace, Think " hmm, ATS folks might like this"...
Come to ATS, Do a search for whatever it is you are wanting to share, to see if it is already posted, and if not.. create a thread to share whatever it is that you found.... or want to share.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I would say... Anything that grabs your interest and something you have a view on!,

You know when you read an article and you go huh?? and you feel you have questions then post it up!

Tell us a little about it and ask your questions too...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
In these times if you are looking for a popular thread that gets flags and stars, you should consider starting a thread about simultaneously converting to Judaism and Islam, and your resulting internal conflicts, and of course when all else fails... Anything wikileaks will do!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
What I do, is find something I am passionate about and knowledgeable on. The latter is probably the most important. Then, do your proper research to make sure you have facts straight and present it in a fun and readable manner. If you are really passionate about a particular subject or occurrence, then it should be relatively easy to put out a thorough and comprehensive essay or article on it. I know this advice is really vague, but such advice should be, since your writings should come from your own mind and passions. There are so many different angles and topics not yet covered by ATS. I think the most important thing to remember, is don't just put something out there for the sake of starting a thread (unless it's news that peaks your interest). Make sure that you believe in it and that the well-researched evidence can speak for itself. It has to be something that you want to get across to the world because if it isn't or if you are just throwing threads out there, it will show up in your efforts.

If current events or news is your thing, then start threads on topics that haven't been started yet. When I start news-type threads, I only do it when I come across an article or event that I think is important for everyone else to see and read. I read through various news sites every day anyway and if there is something that I believe others should see, I start a thread on it. I only do it for news that I think is important or that people need to see.

Remember, each thread started by you, should mean something to you. It should all be backed up with sound research on your part, which takes some effort, though enjoyable effort it is. I have noticed, the more passionate you are on a subject, the more knowledgeable you tend to be, thus the much better your thread will be. People will be able to notice the amount of hard work and dedication you put into your threads. Also, if you are passionate about a subject, you usually want to educate others on your knowledge, which in turn helps you to put it into a clear light for others to understand what you are trying to get across.

Also, take it seriously, as if there are real and viable consequence for either accurate or inaccurate information. Again, if your passionate on a subject, it should matter whether people dismiss your information or accept it as sound evidence to your theory. This really matters because you could either turn people off, or expose them to the truth, as you perceive it. Your threads will reflect your intelligence and the level of interest in what you are writing about.

Finally, have fun with it, though you most certainly will if the passion is there. If you only start threads on issues that are meaningful to you, you will not only have fun doing it, but the reader should have fun reading it and it should be a great contribution to all of us. Accuracy of information is key, as well as research and readability.

The RARE thread:

Research - Is the thread well researched, sourced and cited?

Accuracy - Is the information presented, accurate? Is the evidence based on fact?

Readable - Is the presentation readable? Is it written in a clear and precise manner?

Essential - Is the information presented, important to you and the readers? Does it have a point and is it necessarry?

If you follow this advice, I'm sure that ideas for threads will be almost endless and your contributions would be greatly appreciated. If this sounds a bit much, it really isn't as most of this stuff comes naturally anyway.

--airspoon

[edit on 15-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hey people, thanks for all the advice. I'm already thinking up a thread to post based on NASA and another one specifically for the Hubble replacement.

Glad to see there were no critisisms, thought I might get ripped apart to be honest

Again, thanks for the help. Keep an eye out for me!

Kyle

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think the threads that are the most interesting are written by those who have an obvious interest in the topic and have done a lot of research, providing interesting links, videos, and their own analysis/perspective, etc. so that if a reader wishes to learn more, they have a place to go and review. Not to mention, provides a way for a reader/responder to continue dialog with questions, theories, insight, etc. My biggest pet peeve is sloppy or lazy opening posts, but it does happen a lot. See ya around.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Possible topic for someone to check out:

I was looking ar the film/video of the crash of the Hindenburg a few minutes ago, and on one segment of the one I was watching was was several shots of it over New York city.

At about the 57-second point there is a light-colored ball-shaped object that appears to move between the zeppelin and the camera plane. It could be a weather balloon, I suppose. It appears to move to the right, but the motion of the airship and the plane are to the left, so the object may be more or less statioinary in any horizontal motion. Just what we need, a highly debatable unknown!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
search engines. Type in the date, and key words of certain subjects you are trying to find. Or go out and about in your local area, and uncover something right in front of you.

I noticed a railway bridge, that is cracked and damaged, that they have two railway cars parked on. I haven't brought it to ats attention, becaus its not news worthy, but perhaps what you uncover will be.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Well thanks for the advice, I'm glad to see people helping out a noob
haha.

As for the footage of the Hindenburg you mentioned, I found it -

Don't think it is anything, but could be interesting

Thanks again everyone!

Kyle

new topics

top topics

join