It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 daed 12 hurt at off road race. Is it a crime?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...
Ok now if you read the whole story you will see this has happened in other races .
the thing that bothers me is some of the racers were accutly Charged with a crime.
Now with a illegal road race if someone is killed i can see charges being in order.
But at a sponsored sanctioned race I cant see how any racer can be charged with a crim (unless he ment to run them down)
people know there is risk involved in a off road race when they are standing not 3 feet from trucks doing 60 mph. If your so stupid as to not stand back 20 feet and get ran over how is it the drivers falt ?
as this crowed showed by pelting the guy with rocks.
You tie a rubber band to your but and jump I say no way can you sue or have the guy who runs it charged with your stupidly.
A crime is any thing that a person knowing does that harms someone else.steals your car threatens you exct . How is a victimless crime even a crime ?
You have a joint ( which harms no one) and can be charged ?
I watch a lot of scifi and many of the worlds they creat are strange places with weird rules and contradictory laws . and even a miss mass of technology.
Then I take a real close look at the world were i live . And see a even stranger world then any scifi world ever made.
a world were killing some one is murder and yet were killing some one also makes you a hero . a world with high tek computers taht are almost on par with star trek and yet we use 100 year old technology to power our veicials .
and world in wich you pee and poo in the same water you need to drink.
I find it funny that so many people need to create a conspiracy (UFO) government wants you dead kind of thing. when the real world is MUCH more strange then any conspiracy any one has posted here.
preach love, live hate ,preach acceptance ,find something different then point it out . preach green then turn up the air , preach caring for the earth then clear another parkinglot ,
we have very high ideals humans do but fall very short of them

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The articles said nothing about the racer at the off-road rally being charged. He was pelted with rocks and had to leave. The only racer at a sanctioned event to be charged was a drag racer. Why he was charged with anything (even though a woman was killed) I can't understand. He had a blowout and the tire killed her. Not really his fault as far as I can tell.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
man read the article people I never said HE was charged only pointed out in the article it shows other racers HAVE been charged if you would have read it you would have seen that part. Racers have been charged with deaths resulting from accidents during a race . READ the whole thing not just the top
HERE read slowly In Selmer, Tennessee, a dragster went out of control and smashed into spectators during a fundraising festival in June 2007, killing six people and injuring 22. Driver Troy Critchley, 38, was convicted of misdemeanor reckless assault charges and sentenced to 18 months probation.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
you ask if its a crime.....

if its a sanctioned race then race organizers should be held responsible if the spectators are injured or killed....not the drivers.

Or in the case of a "rally" type event...the spectators should be aware of the dangers involved in watching a race close-up, and without barriers.

Its the drivers job to go as fast as possible..entertain the crowd and win the race. they have enough to think about.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

This isn't an uncommon occurrence at all. Yes, the event was sanctioned, but if it can be determined the people in question did not do enough to protect the safety of the crowd they can be charged with a crime. The organizers should be brought up on charges as well. There were no barriers to speak of. That is absolutely insane considering the speeds these cars get to.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
man read the article people I never said HE was charged only pointed out in the article it shows other racers HAVE been charged if you would have read it you would have seen that part. Racers have been charged with deaths resulting from accidents during a race . READ the whole thing not just the top
HERE read slowly In Selmer, Tennessee, a dragster went out of control and smashed into spectators during a fundraising festival in June 2007, killing six people and injuring 22. Driver Troy Critchley, 38, was convicted of misdemeanor reckless assault charges and sentenced to 18 months probation.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by xxcalbier]

Why are you telling member, asktheanimals to go read the article when his post makes it very clear that he did in fact read the article? His first sentence starts off with "The article says" and he clearly did read it as he is saying the exact same thing YOU are saying... Perhaps it is you who needs to re read that post?

That said, no, I do not think it is a crime. It is an unfortunate event that happened, but there was no intentional act of malice. There are risks involved in going to any race. Especially ones like this where you get up close. Today we have learned that risk. Death and injury.

It was a horrible accident and I do not think anyone should ever be charged for it. I am glad this driver did not get charged for anything and I think it sucks that drivers in the past have...

top topics

join