It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan says finds 1.8 billion barrel oilfield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Afghanistan says finds 1.8 billion barrel oilfield Published: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010 | 4:51 AM ET Text Size

www.cnbc.com

KABUL - Afghanistan said on Sunday it had discovered an oilfield with an estimated 1.8 billion barrels in the north of the war-ravaged country, where U.S. and other foreign forces are trying to tame a Taliban-led insurgency.

The discovery of the basin between northern Balkh and Shiberghan provinces was made after a survey conducted by Afghan and international geologists, said Jawad Omar, a spokesman for the ministry of mines.

"I do not know its price in the market. But the initial survey says there are 1.8 billion barrels of oil and I think there will be more than what it is estimated,
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2010 by TheOracle]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I think the USA knew the existence of untapped oil reserves for a while. There are no just wars, just a evil resource stealing, empire funding war machine operating in the guise of freedom and war on terror. Just like in Iraq, don't expect western military to leave, they first have to put in place a puppet government they can exploit and leave a few thousands of boots in case the people are trying to reclaim their sovereignty.

www.cnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yeah- what a surprise.. i bet nobody had a clue that under all that opium
there would be oil and minerals..if only there was someone who could assist in their exploitation, but i can't think of anybody off hand.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
In order to make peace we must blow everyone to smitherines, we must shed blood over the streets, we must kill children we must kill women we must kill in the name of peace, to find billions of barrels of oil in a place of conflict is pure coincedence surely?

what is it you people don't understand

can you think of a better way to make peace ?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Petraeus described Afghanistan as a tough and enduring fight that would require its "character and its size being scaled down over the years." If the U.S. loses, there would likely be a bloody civil war followed by a takeover by extremists. If the U.S. succeeds and Afghanistan stabilizes, the country could become the region's new "Silk Road" with the potential to extract trillions of dollars worth of minerals, he said.

...with the potential to extract trillions of dollars worth of minerals, he said.

...with the potential to extract trillions of dollars worth of minerals, he said.

They also found precious metals and minerals in Iraq a few months ago, along with the obvious oil. There are at least 14 permanent US bases in Iraq. There is no withdrawl.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good information.

Now the US only need to take Iran which holds the world's 3rd largest oil reserve. In 2007 Iran stopped trading oil in US dollars. Can't have that.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Back in the late 90's I used to trade oil futures and as a result I would read lots of information on expanding oil markets. There was information about oil surveys and exploration around the world.
This information impacts the markets and as a result Oil prices.

It was reported that Afghanistan had as much if not more oil than Saudi Arabia. ALL of it undeveloped.

So when the WTC were brought down with the hijacked airliners piloted by terrorists armed with deadly box cutters AND immediately afterwards we zipped our armed forces over to Afghanistan.

I began to question the entire story, having known long ago about the vast amounts of untapped oil to be found in Afghanistan.

I also reported recently here in ATS that Afghanistan is also the new Saudi Arabia of Lithium, which is the key component necessary in the new Lithium-Ion batteries used in laptop computers, cellphones and even Electric Vehicles, such as the new Chevy Volt.

So in looking at all of the mineral wealth in Afghanistan, as well as having already installed our US paid Puppet Afghan President Hamid Kharzai. It is exactly what we have done in Iran and Iraq in the past to gain access to their resources.

And that is the real reason as to why we are there....as usual it's all about Money.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Star and Flag for the good information.

The bad news at current global consumption rate of 85 million
barrels per day this oil would last about 21 days.

www.nationmaster.com...

The good news is we can grow oil in the desert with vertical hydroponics
and algae and instead of exporting trillions to the middle east
we can keep our money at home and reduce one the largest
aspects of our trade deficit.

It would also kick start a new industry.

Instead of Middle East nations building multi-billion dollar mega cities
like Dubai with indoor ski resorts we could have some permanent
long term job creation.

Once we get the hydrogen aspect perfected we can switch over to
biological hydrogen production.

en.wikipedia.org...

They did manage to get the fuel tank issue sorted out via
nano tech based on carbonized chicken feathers.

New Hydrogen Fuel Tank Tech

More headway is being made, but for now all the billions in infrastructure
will work with the bio oil, and in time we can transition to the hydrogen
path as it will take time to make the switch.

The money we make and save growing out own fuel can make
jobs and help pay the way to the cleaner hydrogen fuel cell
electric vehicles int he future.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Biofuel is great don't get me wrong, but gasoline is only a fraction of oil's use. Everything from plastics, paper, textiles..need oil in their fabrication and algae cannot replace that.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Why bother when they already have a trillion dollar opium trade including western contractors and military to help with production, exportation and global distribution?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think this is another brick we should keep an eye on for the future.

See what kind of a house the US will build down in Afghanistan.

For now though, it's too early to say.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Biofuel is great don't get me wrong, but gasoline is only a fraction of oil's use. Everything from plastics, paper, textiles..need oil in their fabrication and algae cannot replace that.

The algae oil can be grown in a manner of exact replication of
the oil that comes out of the ground.

They can use different species of algae to get different end products.

www.oilgae.com...

The crude in the ground was made from more than dead
dinosaurs.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

top topics

join