It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GULF OF MEXICO FULL OF UNEXPLODED BOMBS...could this be the cause of explosions on seabed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Here is something about the asphalt volcanoes in the Gulf....if some of these unexploded bombs were on or near one of these when they erupted, it might cause quite a bang! Be sure to click on the video link at the very bottom of the page to see what they look like!

www.marum.de...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks for the thread Kat. Just been having a flick through it. I wasn't aware that the GoM was basically used as a munitions dump, so thanks for the information there. My question is, how many more WW2 bombs are decaying at the bottom of the oceans that we don't know about? Okay, maybe they have been defused, it's the effects of what's in the water and what effects these may have that's the issue. I can fully understand your concern about what's been showing up on the Rovs these past few days, pretty explosive stuff to say that BP are proclaiming 'V' for victory already. I'd be questioning every little scenario too if I lived as near to the Gulf as you do. It's a concern and a worry. Some people are simply following the 'spin' and the drop in media attention - ahhh, it's all fixed folks, go about your business, nothing to see here. BP's spin doctors must be running out of 'spin' by now surely? Nope, keep spinning the yarns why dontchya. BP are hanging onto this well nomatter what. If they kill it, they're out of that wells equasion. They've drilled into a damned fault and they have no way of knowing how to stop it. How can you stop it with mud when it's a mud and oil gusher?

Back to the plot (as it thickens as much as the mud!) The explosions that we've been witnessing the past few days are definitely 'eruptions', be it mud, silt, methane, hydrocarbons, whatever, but there's something definitely happening down there. I've heard people on the drill side say it's nothing more than silt coming up from the Rov thrusters. But then they would say that wouldn't they? Silt gushing through cracks and fissures on the sea bed are apparently a 'natural' occurrence in a lot of volcanic undersea areas. I've watched an undersea volcano (only a video mind) but some of the feeds that I saw yesterday were very reminiscant of that same vide, they weren't 'normal' underground seeps.

Question everything Kat and get answers, hats off to you for looking for them, at least you're looking! If it was left to BP and the government, they'd have you swimming in the water and eating the fish!! (smells nice, honest!) What a shinola PR stunt for Obama to take Michelle to Florida. Wonder if we'll see him swimming in it? Bet the bloody sea food he eats has been tested too!!

S&F to you chick for continuing to look for the truth!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
PS Kat: Just found this PDF file - not sure of it's 'credibility', but it shows you a few of what could still be lurking at the bottom of the Gulf.

www.dailypress.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

C&C Technologies Inc., and Applied Marine Technology Inc.
Copyright 2007, Offshore Technology Conference

In 2001, the Government published a report entitled 'Offshore Disposal of Chemical Agents and Weapons Conducted by the United States'; however, bounding coordinates (i.e., longitude and latitude) were omitted from the final publication out of concern for public awareness and safety.

The Department of Defense (DoD) is conducting research to determine the exact dumping locations and the types of hazards that these abandoned munitions may present. The DoD is releasing information on these locations on a need to know basis.

Historically, the standard practice had been to store and transport ordnance and fuzes separately. Ordnance, in particular, larger ordnance such as bombs and munitions, generally did not contain fuzing systems and were disposed of at sea in bulk. Standard operating procedures for flight deck operations required aircraft payloads to be fuzed prior to air operations. These procedures allowed aviation ordnance men to determine the time setting and target specific fuzing configurations prior to fuzing the ordnance.

Other Sources of Disposed UXO Military munitions can also be found on the ocean floor for reasons other than the convenience of disposal. Emergency disposal of ordnance and live-fire practice rounds by both ships and airplanes are two examples.

In the event of misfires, hung ordnance, or damaged ordnance, the standard procedure was to jettison the faulty items over the side of the ship immediately. In the event of an in-flight emergency, aircraft carrying live ordnance practiced the same emergency action procedure of jettisoning of ordnance payloads.

Seafaring vessels and aircraft have been conducting live-fire practice evolutions at sea since long before WWII. Conservatively, it is estimated that five percent of the ordnance expended during those evolutions can be found on the ocean floor.

Accidental Detonation and Effect
Of primary concern during any evolution is safety. Evolutions involving operations on the sea floor where ordnance exists demands extra attention to safety.

Inadvertently contacting a UXO in an unknown state could have catastrophic consequences to both humans and equipment. Accidental detonations can occur with just a minor disturbance of the UXO. The condition of the ordnance, and whether it is fuzed or not, will be a significant determining factor in how sensitive it is to outside influences.

Pressure, as a function of water depth, and size of charge are all factors that must be considered when determining the expected effect of detonation to equipment and personnel.

Effect on Equipment/Infrastructure
The obvious destructive power of an explosion is seen on the news on a daily basis. An underwater detonation is no less destructive and can result in severe damage to equipment, infrastructure and support craft and could possibly result in injury or death to personnel.

Of primary concern are the AUVs, ROVs, and the sub sea infrastructure itself. Water depth, explosive weight and the proximity of the equipment or structure to the UXO; factor significantly in the damage caused by a detonation.

There are at least 5,400 tons of sulfur mustard in waters off the Atlantic coast and 9,100 tons off the Pacific coast.

[edit on 14-8-2010 by StealthyKat]

[edit on 14-8-2010 by StealthyKat]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Check this out! This could be the cause of the tar balls, the seafloor leaking oil and gas, and even the exposions. The Gulf has many asphalt volcanoes and mud volcanoes.... news.discovery.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join