It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Destruction of My Generation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yadda..(and all you other whiners)

So I didn't spend more time editing for grammar on a forum post to whiners. If that is the best attack that you can bring against me, Grammar then my work here will be easy. I see that you lack the will to argue against a single one of my objections to what has now become a room full of whiners comments.

I went to college and now I can't find a job...

Really? Maybe it is because you spend too much time pissing and moaning online about not having a job instead of going out and getting one. As well, you mean that you have a college degree and you are incapable of starting a company? Have you ever heard of the idea of making your own job? Of course not because you are of the entitlement mentality. You think that you are owed a job because you got a degree. Ha! No wonder no one will hire you. Perhaps they can see in you what your really made of and they don't like it. Perhaps you gloat about your so called education and your pride offends the one your looking to for a job. But that thought never occurs to you. No, the entire world is just wrong and everyone else is to blame for it.

Guess what life is not fair... and no one told you that it was so stop lying about what false beliefs everyone supposedly told you when you were a kid. Perhaps you need to grow the hell up and stop looking back on grade school and college as “The Time of Deceit.” From what most of you whiners have said, I wouldn't hire you either. Why? Because instead of overcoming whatever deficiencies the company has (because no company is perfect) you instead would highlight the flaws of the company and blame external factors for why you couldn't succeed at the job you applied for. You would do this without even considering the fact that the person who hired you did the same job you have just six months ago and never had the problems that you have with it and succeed fine.

You people need to buck up and get the friggen program, “Life is What “You” Make it!”

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

So I didn't spend more time editing for grammar on a forum post to whiners. If that is the best attack that you can bring against me, Grammar then my work here will be easy.

You didn't have the time to edit your own post for grammar, yet you were attacking the OP's grammar and spelling! You can't see the problem with that?

I have no arguments against your opinions on the subject. I have learned that it is very rare to change someone's opinion no matter how good your argument is.

However, your attack on the OP's grammar and spelling was both disgusting and laughable.

A certain phrase does come to mind: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

edit to add:

I just wanted to point out that you're an ass.

[edit on 8/15/2010 by yadda333]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by badgerprints

I think he has good reason to blame someone. If we think about Social Security shortages, trillion dollar deficit, etc. We are in deflation now and will get worse leading to very high inflation. If the Fed doesnt make some drastic changes soon we might get hyperinflation. No one want to make a move before elections. Politics will be the death of our society.

No argument there. I never said he shouldn't blame somebody but it doesn't change anything.

I prefer to blame congress.

Still doesn't pay the bills.

We all make our decisions and do what we can with the situation at hand.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
So I'm an ass huh? Good!

So, have any of you whiners become a member of one of the political parties? Did you vote in the primary? Did you volunteer for a local representative's campaign? Do you go to church regularly? Do you hold a position at your church (as in, you actually lift a damn finger to do something other than just show up).

When was the last time any of you whiners ever picked up a piece of trash in your neighborhood? Have you picked up trash outside the local Target or Walmart? Have you ever give a restaurant review to a local restaurant online? Have you ever sent a letter to your local newspaper editor about the events in your city? Are you a member of your local tea party? When was the last time you volunteered for anything at all to better the world around you? Do you visit and minister to the prisoners in jail? Do you volunteer at the local soup kitchen to feed the homeless?

HELL NO! You don't do these things! You're too busy pissing and moaning about how bad you have it. Poor friggen you!

You don't do any of these things! You just sit on your duff and whine, piss, and moan about how terrible it all is and how it's all outside of your control and you can't do anything at all about it.

Funny, I don't see any illegal Mexicans whining about not getting a job. Do you want to know why? It's because they are go-getters who will not stop until they do what needs to be done to better thier life. You whine about not having a job and I work with people who have held two jobs working sixty hours a week with no days off for fifteen years. Do you know how pathetic your comments here sound to these people? Do you know how lame and worthless you appear to those who actually try to bust there ass to fix what's wrong with this country?

The woman who works next to me lost her son six months ago in a car accident. Every day she tries to hold it together to keep her job and a roof over her head. Her husband beat her and cut her with a knife, so she left him and is alone in her grief over her lost son and the struggle to pay for all the associated bills. She is grief stricken to the core, but does the best she can to stay positive and try to help the world around her.

A customer of mine has been bed stricken for twelve years with painful and utterly debilitating medical conditions. Does she whine about it to me? No! Instead, with tears in her eyes, she told me that she is happier now than she has been at any other time in her life because she is realizing how much of an inspiration she has become for so many people. She said her suffering is a blessing that has awoken in her the deepest and most serious of spiritual commitments that she never thought she was able to have.

But you? Well, let's see here. You don't lift a damn finger to help anyone do you? You! You don't do anything to better the world you whine about do you? Of course not, because if you did, then you wouldn't be saying everything is crap. Instead, you’d be saying, “This is the best time of my life, and I'm so glad that I have been given such an opportunity to make such a difference at a time when it is needed the most.”

But you just go ahead and keep whining about it all. You just go ahead and let everyone else do all the work of trying to make it better. After all, your entitled to be a lazy, good for nothing, piece of crap right?

Let me tell you a little secret. You don't have to just sit there and feel miserable about the world. You “Can” get off your duff and do something about it. Because, if you haven't figured it out all ready, there is only one thing that will make you feel better about yourself and the world around you and that is when you finally get off your duff and try to truly make yourself and the world better in every way that you can. When you start doing that, you, and your life,keep getting better, no matter how bad everything else around you gets.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Hot_Wings]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hot_Wings

All I can say is that it appears you have anger management issues that go well beyond the posts in this thread.

It is funny that you mention church work in your tirade. lol.

How is my grammer?? haha

God bless you sir.

Have a nice day.

My volunteer service is my business but I am sure myself and many others on this thread can match you hour for hour, if not better.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Badger,

Good point. But, I want to make it clear that I am not making excuses. In fact, for the situation I was brought up in I am not doing so bad for myself. Just thought it was interesting to post what my generation was taught and the realities my generation faces today. The reality is very different than what we were told it would be.

I mean really, how many times were we told to hurry up and buy a house. "It's the safest investment there is!" What a joke.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

I'm a bit older than you but I would just like to say I grew up in horrible circumstances and it seems I have managed to come out with a more positive attitude then your self
I admit in my early 20's/ late teens i was bitter but I did a lot to work through it.Now I am comfortable and happy.
I am still unhappy with the state of the world but I AM HAPPY.

My dad left when I was two
My mum had a series of unemployed losers as boyfriends
I was beaten badly
I was raising my sister from when she was two and i was nine.
My mum and various boyfriends sat in her bedroom all day taking drugs
Mum NEVER worked we lived off welfare for the entire 17 years I lived at home.
No computer.no car no after school activities.

Hearing you complain makes me a bit sick.

When your parents pass away most of your generation will get a house and a car and money and I will get a bill.

Your parents screwed you over a little bit but your life attitude will screw you up more than your SNES and nikes ever did.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by mumma in pyjamas]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Those of us that were teens in the 60's and 70's were sold a great big bag of lies. We believed in our great country and had pride and patriotism.

In the 60's we began to see that our parents had created a multitude of problems for us to try and fix. They built the factories that pollute our air.

I heard my parents blame their parents for life's ills. It's a pass the blame game.

In 1969 I had my first child and I vowed to always be truthful with him and not hide what our government was doing to our country.

He was born with his feet and legs backwards. It took years of treatment and surgeries to correct the problem. My daughter is 36 and an excellent mother and business woman.

He is 41 today and owns more than one business and excels in sports and martial arts. He is a winner and he did it himself in spite of being in a one parent home and that parent was a dyed in the wool hippie.

But this old hippie taught him that truth and love would take him a long way. I never lied to my children even when the truth hurt.

If any generation got the bad deal it was the boomer generation.

I am sorry to say I have little pride in our country. I don't feel pride when I see our American flag.

But the really bad deal is the children of the lost generation. They can't carry on a conversation without texting their friends and answering texts. They don't know what a good game of hide and seek is.

This new generation has no idea what is going on in the world and they sure aren't getting a decent education.

I guess they will blame their parents when they fail.

I was taught we are all equal and all have the same oppertunities. Not true.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by dizziedame]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If one generation "pass' the buck", they have failed. This includes generation x too.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

I hear you senor'. Which is why responsible parenting is the best way to change the world for the better; so based on that thereom, we are in for a humdinger of a time. Don't ask me to expound upon responsible parenting, I might expose myself.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I cannot believe some of the things that I am reading on this thread.

Firstly, Fair play to all those who have found their way... yes I understand that life is not fair. We are all literally peasents and no matter what that is unlikely to change but this lost generation stuff? geez... let me tell you a story now... from both sides of the coin.

I have a degree, a worthless piece of paper. I used to do drugs and was very naive and stupid and let people take advantage of me and screw me over.

My brother has no qualifications and whilst I was at university he had no job and used to do drugs.

I came home, spent 18 months without a full time job. Me and my brother were at home, aged 23 and 20 with no job at all. Bored sh!tless... We'd both quit the drugs though. Now... we both have jobs, he's moving out but i'm staying here. I'm 24 now and I've just got myself a bank account that costs to keep. £150 a year... why when I don't have £10,000 in their with the interest at 1.5% to make it worthwhile? Why? Because I see it as motivation as I'm paying my debts and I wanna live comfortably and I get free mobile phone insurance as well as a few other discounts.

Anyways enough of that for now... let's go on with this... Whilst on the dole... I was sent to a job club. I found it impossible to get a job but then I saw what the figures were hiding. You hear all these figures in the UK, add a couple more million to it and that's your figure, it's worse than it actually is. You don't see the people actually there most of the time and when your "in training" and not classed as unemployed all for £30 extra, I saw what I was with and I knew I'd find a job. The older people were highly unlikely to find work due to employers looking more towards younger employees but the younger generation were simply unemployable due to their habits. Small amount of jobs available and any young person who genuinly wants a job will eventually find one. Hell I read a report that a lad who had no qualifications stood on a roundabout on a duel carridgeway holding a sign saying "please give me a job" After two hours in the soaking rain, somebody pulled over and offered him an interview. After five minutes, he got the job!

But the majority of these young people out of work do Drugs, Have a bad attitude, They're not punctual, They're constantly ill or late, They're on their mobiles all day. I'm up against them? There calling me a geek as well? Some scratty little 18 year old with no qualifications, on the drugs calls me a Geek? I laughed at him. I thought it was hilerious... This lost generation is these people who don't want a job and who are unemployable. Nobody will touch them with a barge pole... Seriously, if you aint got a job and you want one don't worry about it... all you need to get a job is a bit of initiative. As one person said... if your overqualified then don't put it down. If your worried about not having a working history then make it up. Seriously... get your mother to pretend to be "Betty Smith" of such and such and if they ever bother ringing up... seriously for normal everyday jobs they wont but if they do then your covered. Basic initiative here... Obviously the higher field of job your going for then don't lie... but McDonalds jobs and things like that... make it up... as if they are going to check?

I work in lab testing food and I have no science qualifications at all and to be honest I didn't lie to them, I told them the truth. I had been keeping myself busy by volunteering for free so I put myself as employed but let them know in the application for that I wasn't employed so it didn't simply get thrown away. That's initiative... they saw that and realised that I really wanted the job. I volunteered and was getting my backside out of bed at 6am in the morning for free. That shows commitment. Emplyoers want to see someone who can learn, have a good attitude and 99.9% attendence and commitment.

continued...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I've been there since January... I got kept on full time end of May and I was struggling to learn but now I'm fine. All because I put the effort in. I've had one day off and I was literally bed ridden that day... they knew this because I wasn't fully well for a good week after I had that day off. They understand that people can be ill but they know when your taking the piss.

I'm sorry if people disagree with me here but if you think that you deserve a job or the life that you can get everything with a flick of a coin then you are completely misguided. If you think that it's all a utopian sociaty and you get a degree and that job is waiting for you at the end of it then I'm sorry but wake up. Yeah it's a recession and now it's survival of the fittest. Stop pointing the finger and get on with it. A recession is where winners are made. I'm not talking being millionaires here... I'm talking about sorting your lives out and winning in life. Getting somewhere. Having a plan and making it full proof.

I spoke about banks earlier... "Oh the banks did this, the banks did that..." Yes they did and they will continue to do so. A bank is not a friendly place... they try to give you things to benefit them but it has to benefit the customer as well... just in my case they have to have £10,000 of my money for it to be worthwhile for me... but I'm saving anyway, I'll get it back and I'll start and get money from the bank but if you think I should wait and save £10k up and then get the upgrade, they will give me the next upgrade... whereby again it benefits them but it can benefit me if I have what... £30k in there? You have to give a little to get more, speculate to accumilate. It's ok as well... as I'm now covered for up to £75,000. So if the bank went bust, I'm covered for anything up to that figure. People did not realise this... it's their own fault so all those who lost thousands and got pittance back (i.e £50K Instead of £100k) should have realised back then that £50,000 was the limit and once you had that amount then open a new account up and put money in there. Never ever take things for granted in life, work hard and do your homework, that's why we do it in school.

Sorry for the rant but whinging and whining and pointing the finger is not going to help you. Things happen in life and it happens because it simply does. Were peasents... it's a rat race... I would also like to live in a utopian sociaty... I would love a car... I can't afford one, theirs no need as I work a mile away from home. I would love a mortgage and to own my own home.... I can't yet... why rush when you will crash and burn? It just takes some time... Why work for a major company when they keep relocating? They've been doing that for years, surely you didn't think "it would happen to you?" People say it won't happen but then people in those positions lie all the time if it benefits them. You can't trust the majority of people in life just trust yourself and when in doubt do your homework...

thanks... and best of luck to everyone and I hope somebody finds what I've said motivating and helpful. I whinged on ATS about life in the past, I got some tough love from some members... it worked. I hope I'm returning the favour here...

Remember... hard work will eventually pay off. It might not get you where you want to be but you will be fine but always plan for the worst. Take nothing for granted as unfortunately things can go pear shaped very quickly. That's life... it's a bitch... sadly...

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. As I have stated a couple times in this thread, I am doing fine, and don't have a "negative" attitude. The thread is about a generation as a whole being manipulated by societal norms and niceties.

Most of my thread that did I describe to not directly relate to me, but what I am seeing my friends/colleagues work through.

Many people have very tough lives, I just think this generation is having a unique experience, most expect to do better that the generation before them, but for those in the United States, I believe that the success of the nation peaked, I believe, and we are now on the downside.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. As I have stated a couple times in this thread, I am doing fine, and don't have a "negative" attitude. The thread is about a generation as a whole being manipulated by societal norms and niceties.

Most of my thread that did I describe to not directly relate to me, but what I am seeing my friends/colleagues work through.

Many people have very tough lives, I just think this generation is having a unique experience, most expect to do better that the generation before them, but for those in the United States, I believe that the success of the nation peaked, I believe, and we are now on the downside.

Just my 2 cents.

I was born after 1975 and before 1985.I am in that generation.I stated I was older as I misread your OP thinking you were 25.
What I was trying to point out is that you may have had a cushy middle class upbringing along with all your friends.That is not the experience of your entire generation.
In fact:
The official poverty rate rose to 11.7 percent in 2001, the first increase since 1993. One in five black children lived below the official poverty level as did 16 percent of all US children—about 12 million US children.
source
www.wsws.org...

Your country was in recession in 1993.This when the generation you are referring to were teens and children.
You see your privileged friends struggle when the reality of all their hopes and dreams were not being achieved.Disappointing, probably.

Your friends should try living as one of the millions of Americans living in poverty.Those in poverty have a very hard time escaping it to create a better life.Issues such as a greatly reduced chance to be granted job interviews due to undesirable addresses, lack of suitable transport options, domestic pressures, for instance feeling obliged to care for otherwise neglected siblings.

You state that we expect that each generation expects to be "doing better" than the previous generation.But it seems you are measuring success directly against MATERIAL wealth.

The lesson which should be becoming apparent to your friends is that the expectation of "doing better" may actually be fulfilled if they interpret as more than just the accumulation of material goods and financial excess.

The lessons of Buddha, the over privileged child who learned material wealth was not the essence of being is an ancient one.
The conclusion that this situation is somehow unique to your generation is unsound.

Your friends feelings may be real and valid.However a little research and alternate interpretation may be all they need to discover though their feeling are actual their perception and conclusions may not be.

I hope they can move past the wounding of their ego's to live happy and comfortable lives.And come to realise that those with shelter,food,employment,health care and hopefully a bit extra for a little something nice are indeed living a successful life.When there are so many in the world who have no opportunity to experience what we all take for granted.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mumma in pyjamas
The lessons of Buddha, the over privileged child who learned material wealth was not the essence of being is an ancient one.
The conclusion that this situation is somehow unique to your generation is unsound.

Your friends feelings may be real and valid.However a little research and alternate interpretation may be all they need to discover though their feeling are actual their perception and conclusions may not be.

I hope they can move past the wounding of their ego's to live happy and comfortable lives.And come to realise that those with shelter,food,employment,health care and hopefully a bit extra for a little something nice are indeed living a successful life.When there are so many in the world who have no opportunity to experience what we all take for granted.

That is true. Many are born in to situation much worse than our own. That being said, it is interesting when an entire generation is lied to and brought up on a culture of lies and manipulation. I believe the generation that raised the current 20-30 year olds was more concerned with feelings than reality. Reality can be rough once you are forced to face it.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a poignant lesson I learnt, ironically not in school, but at the first job I had as an adult.
I was working at a company as a labourer during the summer to earn a bit of cash, the yard boss( who is not quite a site foreman), is in charge of taking inventory of stuff and instructing us to load it onto trucks that go to various sites, he was a nice bloke in his early 30's who kind of took pitty on me and showed me how to get on in this line of work with the least hassle possible. Anyway after working with him for a week we got talking about his life and how he ended up in this job. He said he started labouring at my age because he didn't have the best education, and wanted to start earning a living and not be stuck in education for the next half a decade; and then have to repay huge fees. He applied for council houseing for himself, and began drifting from dead end job to dead end job. As he was a male on his own he was refused state housing and so began renting a small property, which began to drain his wages and leave him with a pittance at the end of the week. The small ammount of money he was left with he used for groceries.
He told me that having worked for 13 years, he had not risen in wealth at all; but that he earned enough to live on and it had become harder and harder to scrape by.
He then told me that people he knew, that had had kids and started scrounging off the state lived better then he ever had or in all likelyhood ever would, that the rich got richer, the poor got poorer; and those that didn't work got looked after by the state. He then told me that throughout school teachers had said that he could do anything he wanted. That was an utter farce, the rich need the poor, the poor need the rich; and for capitalism to work the majority of people do not get to do what they want.

The point to this is that the blame lies not with your fathers generation or the generation before that, but a system that is inherently currupt that, thrives on inequality, and that can constantly adapt to ensure that nothing ever changes. It is a system that works because it accomodates everyone and procreates from human greed and laziness. It is human nature that inadvertantly leads to an unfair society.

So to summarise.. life isn't just about you, trying to justify your failings by blaiming someone else is pointless,
the system is flawed but provides you a life that grants you the luxurys of not having to hunt for food, or fight to survive. If you wan't more the system rewards ingenuity, and very hard work.

You reap what you soe in this society.

edit on 23-10-2010 by ahoote because: .

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahoote
So to summarise.. life isn't just about you, trying to justify your failings by blaiming someone else is pointless,
the system is flawed but provides you a life that grants you the luxurys of not having to hunt for food, or fight to survive. If you wan't more the system rewards ingenuity, and very hard work.

You reap what you soe in this society.

edit on 23-10-2010 by ahoote because: .

No it is not about the singular person at all, I agree.

And thanks generation prior to mine, I don't have to hunt for food!!! Wow civilization has come leaps and bounds lol.

The point of the thread is that my generation will be forever changed by the past few years. Probably for the best.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I am 25, very intelligent, but very lazy, and very disillusioned with modern, western civilization. Despite my laziness, I do not take handouts. At least not from the government. I graduated high school with a 3.5, but did not apply myself as much as I could have, and thus do not have a college degree.

I am in the upper middle class, and have generous, loving parents. Unfortunately, they are taxed a ton, and like most single white, males, I can not get a loan because my parents make too much on paper. I live in San Diego, and can not get to a place that my intelligence would normally grant me. My parents can not help me, because despite how much they make, they still struggle.

My own inability to be "successful" is partly due to my own laziness, partly due to to economic climate, and partly because my parents exist in the financial aid gray area.

I am debating whether or not to get a degree, but after seeing what has happened to most of my peers with everything you discussed, I am totally intimidated.

Where do I fit in with this theory/description of yours?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by inivux
I am 25, very intelligent, but very lazy, and very disillusioned with modern, western civilization...

My own inability to be "successful" is partly due to my own laziness, partly due to to economic climate, and partly because my parents exist in the financial aid gray area.

I am debating whether or not to get a degree, but after seeing what has happened to most of my peers with everything you discussed, I am totally intimidated.

Where do I fit in with this theory/description of yours?

I think your description is exactly what I am talking about.

Our generation is poorly prepared to take on the challenges we will face. You admit that you are lazy, while this is a personal trait, it is also a product of the way you were raised and the education you received. We have been raised to expect things to come to us easily.

Your choices are not the best. You either decide to suck it up and go to college, either leeching the money from your upper middle class parents or taking out 40k in loans that will take you forever to pay off and do not guarantee a good paying job.

I wish you the best of luck. Find your niche, a job you can enjoy. Then do what you can with the salary you make. The best advice is to NOT buy a house or waste too much money on a house. Those status symbols of previous generations will get our generation nowhere.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I was born in 1976 and told by my parents I didn't need higher education. They told me if I worked hard I could achive the american dream. My grandfather had an 8th grade education and retired with a full pension and enough money to live in vagas all winter. Same with all my grandparents they had it good.

My generation has it a bit differnt. I made good money in the late 90's working in the factories but slowly I saw it all stripped away. I started out at $8 an hour and worked my way up to $16 an hour by 2002. I remember after work one day thinking I'm gonna get a peice of the american dream.

After that came a series of layoffs job after job till there was hardly anything left.

Now I'm stuck working in retail (similar to Walmart) for minimum wage. The compay I work for opens thier books and tells us how much they make anually. Which is $2 million a month on top of all overhead. They have roughly 300 employees.

One of my former factory jobs no one in the shop of 300 employees made less then $15 an hour. There anual profit was 2 million a year on top of over head. Which was union by the way.

My grandparents had pensions I get 401k. On minimum wage I need every penny I have to eat how am I gonna save for retirement. So instead I op to chain smoke myself to death.

"You know why they call it the American dream? because you have to be asleep to belive it". George Carlin

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join