It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colombia, Venezuela restore diplomatic ties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Colombia, Venezuela restore diplomatic ties

www.washingtonpost.com

The leaders of Colombia and Venezuela have reestablished diplomatic relations, saying they are starting to repair confidence undermined by years of mutual recriminations.

The announcement came after a four-hour meeting Tuesday in the Colombian city of Santa Marta between Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and Colombia's new leader, Juan Manuel Santos. The two restored ties that Chávez severed last month in response to accusations that Venezuela has become a haven for Colombian rebels.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.bbc.co.uk
www.dawn.com

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As part of my ongoing vow to bring some good news to ATS here is a story I found today. It would appear that relations between the two countries have improved dramatically after a four hour meeting in which the leaders met to discuss the previous souring of relations.

Juan Manuel Santos, to me seems to be the driving force behind this 'reset' as he is the new guy on the scene. He has assured the Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez "he is not going to allow the presence of outlaw groups in his territory." Which was the inherent cause of the fall out originally.

Let's just hope this is the start of a true thawing in relations, and that it is not a temporary arrangement. As long as the US refrains from meddling too, I see no reason why there shouldn't be stability in the region.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Providing this is permanent, and not just the calm before the storm, The NeoCons and the corporate elite will no doubt be fuming. Their plans for the removal of Chavez has had a setback.

Uribe (the previous Columbian President) was said to be setting an anti-Venezuela agenda for Santos, but Santos appears at least to be trying to set his own agenda of having good ties with Chavez.

We shall see how things play out.

new topics

join