It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The definition of a "troll".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have seen this term thrown around so willy nilly lately, it is ridiculous.

Simple facts:

Anytime a poster starts a thread that is infalmatory in any way they are considered a "troll", whether or nor they actually believed in what they were posting.

Anytime a site is humorous, it is labeled as a "troll blog" because it is not serious enough.

It is very tempting to call any poster I disagree with a "troll", though I will not because it is a cop out.

The true "trolls" on this site, usually incite very intelligent, and well researched debate.

My definition of a "troll" is "devil's advocate".

I know, not as fun, because you can't bash people as a devil's advocate. Yet these are likely the most intelligent people on our site.

Not only because they start intelligent conversations between others, but because they are able to argue the "other side" to see the reaction.

From now on I will scan posts for those who are accused of being "trolls", I will add them to my friends list and read all of there future posts. I will reply to every single one of them. We need mopre debate in this world and far less agreeable apathy.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If you went on the Aliens/UFO forums on this site and had a solid argument on why they don't exist you would probably be called a troll.

Being a troll is just being a man with different beliefs.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There are a lot of fakers and hoax creating dummies here. I think that they should be branded as trolls. Seriously, they suck.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I live under a bridge.
Am I a troll?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Gee, I'm not only a troll, but a disinfo agent and possible "government blogger"!
I also am ignorant, unimaginative, blind, boring, and who knows what all.
I think many topics here are interesting, but I think many are BS!
It's the "believers", no matter what the topic, that are disturbed by scepticism. Dogma is very powerful, people that KNOW THE TRUTH want their beliefs accepted unquestioningly by others, hardly what ATS is supposed to be about!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I take it you are not new to computers. You have visited other forums before, not just this one, correct? Gaming forums, car forums, dating forums, alternative subject forums. Doesnt matter there is always some idiot out there that feels big and proud behind their keyboard inciting people. A troll does not promote intelligent discussion, I disagree with you there. They insist on being disruptive and hoping the other acts on their emotion.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythic Chris

Agreed completely, any time you state an idea that directly goes against the "main stream" on this site, you will be labeled a troll. Though I bet the post on aliens not existing, created one heck of a long conversation. Thank you "devil's advocate" or "true poster" and continue, you are in the right either way.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I thought the definition of a troll is someone who de-rails a thread and tries to point it in a different direction to what the OP intended...

EDIT:spelling

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Ir0nM0nkey]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jdmmade

"There are a lot of fakers and hoax creating dummies here. I think that they should be branded as trolls. Seriously, they suck. "

If it is an all out hoax, I agree completely. Though if it is simply someone speaking "unpopular" opinions I will side with them.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Thank you Old Dragger, I will keep up with your posts. I may not agree, but you at least deserve an intelligent response, that does not attack you or your motives.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ir0nM0nkey
I thought the definition of a troll is someone who de-rails a thread and tries to point it in a different direction to what the OP intended...

There we go. Thats the definition of a troll. Either stop em dead in their tracks or play their little games.

[edit on 8/11/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ir0nM0nkey

"I thought the definition of a troll is someone who de-rails a thread and tries to point it in a different direction to what the OP intended..."

This is not the case anymore. The posters themselves are being labeled "trolls" because people disagree with them.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

My definition of a "troll" is "devil's advocate".

This is wrong...though there are plenty of cases where being a 'DA' may be misidentified as a troll.

If someone comes into a thread talking it up to everyone that disagrees with him/her, and nothing to back it up - troll.

If someone comes into a thread talking it up to everyone that disagrees with him/her, and backs it up with links, photos, tangible evidence, or profound personal experience - DA.

Trolling is an art that usually leaves the 'target' dazed and confused if done correctly. Being a DA is just another way to say I told you so - dime a dozen around here.

And BTW - did you ever get that soap box fixed..?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Troll: n.

One who starts threads asking, "What is [snip] troll?" because they were too lazy to look it up in the Urban Dictionary.

Mod Edit - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Troll: A person who comes into a thread and states an opinion that is the complete opposite of the majority with no sources to back it up. Generally written so it looks like a redneck wrote it, and done so that they can get a rise out of people.

Trolls will then proceed to lean back in their chair, put their feet on the desk, and laugh as swarms of people tell him/her how wrong he/she is, when he/she was never serious in the first place.

They derail threads, make worthless posts, and serve no other reason of being here except for the purpose of trolling.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm not just any troll...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ed7f9a8603d5.jpeg[/atsimg]

I'm Successful Troll.

Tremble before my awesome trolling power.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I appreciate you throwing this all out there. I totally agree with you and with no doubt in my mind, I am pretty sure that I have been labeled a troll. It doesn't bother me. I don't care what others' think of me personally. No one likes to respond to my postings anymore and that's cool. I can say that at least my postings stirred something inside their brain on the subject at hand- and if it got them to think, then i say i accomplished what i sought after!
...If that is considered negative, then I don't want to be good

Now, can we kick these other bums out from under my bridge already?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorZeno
Troll: A person who comes into a thread and states an opinion that is the complete opposite of the majority with no sources to back it up.

And often the opposite of the opposite opinion, the original opinion (OP) is just about as well [snip] sourced, even if it contains numerous references.

Self Edit - Self Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 12-10-2010 by EnlightenUp because: I like ointment

[edit on 8/12/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
oh god, I love the ones that go against their beliefs and call you a troll even if you been on this site for a long time. I had a few people call me a troll because I believe racism is in the gaming industry in some companies. People make me laugh hardcore.

:shk:

top topics

join