It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Delhi-Metallo-1 (NDM-1) infects 37 people in UK!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

New Delhi-Metallo-1 (NDM-1) infects 37 people in UK!

hisz.rsoe.hu

A 'superbug' that is resistant to the most powerful antibiotics has reached the UK. Scientists are warning the bug, an enzyme called New Delhi-Metallo-1 (NDM-1), could spread across the world as nothing is being developed to treat it. There has been 37 reported cases in the UK, mainly among patients who travelled to areas of Asia for cosmetic surgery, transplants and cancer treatment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
news.sky.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
One part that got me worrying is: "The NDM-1 problem is likely to get progressively worse in the foreseeable future. "The potential for wider international spread and for NDM-1 to become endemic worldwide are clear and frightening."

Is this the big one that will wipe out a big % of humanity? I am quite concered as I will be starting my new job in September within a hospital.

hisz.rsoe.hu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
For balance reasons - here is a thread already in the Educational subsection about it.

News and education are different - so fire away guise!!

-m0r

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Well i did a search before making this thread and there were no results! We must have started our threads at the same time.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
And the topic is being discussed at this thread as well, just a different news source.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now, with much sarcasm I contribute this thought =

'Well, we just need a global healthcare system, then this sort of thing couldn't happen....'

oh dear oh dear

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

The vector is the hospital. This is hype just like the MRSA bug was touted as the super-threat that would kill us all. If you are not spending large amounts of time in hospitals then I wouldn't worry too much about it. In 9 cases out of 10, that's where you get it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

No worries man you both started at the same time. This was news (now Disease and Pandemics) and the other education. 2 different ways of looking at the same problem. I only linked for balance in case teachers or what not were coming here.

I'll probably link back to this one now that you are out of the news category for the same reasons.

-m0r

Room for an edit here

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I'm in and out of Hospitals on a daily basis because of my work and I tend to be in Gastrointestinal areas (lots of bugs there) adn Radiology (not so many there).
Usually my biggest concern is the surfaces in the main General PUBLIC parts of the hospital because I notice that peoples hygiene is appauling.....

There are now lots of alcohol gel dispensers around and so it is the very least you can do to use these. The best defence though is to maintain your own personnal hygiene continuiously throughout the day.....

One sobering thought I'll leave you with is this.......

I was in a procedure and doing some training and a patient with Hep C and TB came in.. for a normal diagnostic procedure ( a check up basically).
Being a patient with these medical conditions then it is normal for the clinical staff to 'gown up' and use face masks and visors for the fear of airbourne droplets getting carried to others in the room.

The Procedure was fine etc etc next patient......... At lunch time I was speaking to a colleague and having a cup of coffee before leaving and looked behind me to see the very same patient in the Public area, coughing and interacting with friends/ family and the general public.... Made me think that you just do not know do you, who has what or what condition there in......

You can only take responsibility for YOURSELF !!!!

On the subject of this new bug, it is a little worrying when you realize it has become resistant to our current strongest antibiotic. I know there are synthetic antibiotics being developed but the bottom line is that sooner or later in human existence we WILL be caught out by a bacteria, virus or something else..... it's called Evolution !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
oh boy.

If this isn't the final straw then i dont know what is. I've been looking for an excuse to escape this mess of a country for .... well since i was like 5.... being brought up in london, makes you very streetwise (for all the wrong reasons). Though in many ways i've highly romanticised London society in my mind, currently. But its still just an ugly depressing little island.

Ill find my way out sooner or later... perhaps if this kicks off big time i can truly escape without any dreadful feelings of regret for having left such a beautifully open and incomprehensibly diverse society in London. But as some have said, survival of the fittest is an inescapable truism, lets hope we wont have to apply the same terminology (inescapable) to whatever percentage of the human population may or may not be regretably lost..

It does scare me alot though... london is THE worst place to be right now.. im #ting it... goddammit i thought the thames would flood before anythign equally catastrophic like this goes down. I knew spending all that money on that inflatable boat was a stupid investment... someone remind me never to spend so much tiome on that survival forum again... lool..

aah im joking of course.. im sure this will all just blow over like swine flu or cheronobyl... blow over get it... aah .. aaaaaahHHHH aaahHHHH CHOOOO!!

[edit on 11/8/2010 by DizzyDayDream]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sounds to me like another scare tactic like the Swine Flu epedemic that was set to kill millions of people.

Big Pharma made billions of £$ over nothing. Id imagine they have a stockpile of drugs they havent sold and have tried to pull the same tactic as with swine flu.

The UK government spent billions on Tamiflu...theres still case loads of it sitting about unused.

I dont think this is a problem, its being hyped up to sell drugs

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
An amazing 0.000060246788430962274% of the UK population is infected.(if google public data is accurate)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Like a couple of you have said, its probably going to go the same way as swine flu. Get blown out of proportion, with people paniking and thinking its the end of mankind as we know it. Only to fizzle out after a couple of months just like swine flu did!

Im so anoyed that i had the swine flu vaccine, i had so much pain in my arm that i could not lift it for about 2 weeks. But i had to have it done as i worked in an intencive care unit!!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
just heard about this on a news update i dont think its anything to worry about.

i found the Symptoms

Possibly the most terrifying attribute to the superbug NDM-1 is its remarkable ability to attach itself to a variety of bacteria hosts and still yet crosses over to other bacteria that is present. This is not only a characteristic that is rather unique, but a deadly characteristic as well because this silent superbug is able to perfectly mimic the symptoms that the common bacteria would cause.

For instance, E. coli is the leading cause of urinary tract infections. Were a person with a UTI to also be invaded by the superbug NDM-1, their symptoms
would not change. The UTI would continue on with its normal symptoms of burning during urination, back pain, etc. The only difference that would be notable is the resistance that the urinary tract infection would have to antibiotics that would normally clear up a UTI. Only then would it be likely that doctors
would become concerned and NDM-1 would probably be discovered. Unfortunately by this time, many others would have been unknowingly infected.

Source: www.infobarrel.com...:_What_is_NDM-1%3F_What_Are_the_Symptoms%3F__How_Can_I_protect_Myself%3F

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 6dark6energy6

6dark6energy6

You make a good point about this new 'bug'.. it appears to be quite a clever little fellow.....

The comparisons and annoyance that it is another 'swine flu' to control the masses are a little off here because there is NO remedy for this bug...

As I suggested earlier, humanity will get caught out sooner or later by a micro-organism purely because their evolutionary rates are quicker than ours and are technological ability to protect ourselves......

I believe as it stands at the moment, if you contract this (and yes it is a miniscule amount currently) then you are in a little trouble... will depend really on how fit and strong and able your natural bodies defenses are.....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Originally posted by [davinci]

(Same topic, multiple threads)

This is something that I discuss regularly with my mother, a life long nurse. One of the things that she points out is that there was actually a few scientists in the 70's/80's who warned about the over-use of not just antibiotics but also antibacterials as well.

It is well known for a long time that both of these things will kill 90ish % of the target, however the remaining 10ish % will be naturally immune. Over time evolution takes it's course at a greatly accelerated pace resulting in only those organisms that are immune.

If you really want to tweak your brain, maybe that is a conspiracy in itself...People's fear of germs helps to create germs we should fear.

Although I don't watch alot of TV anymore, there is a commercial running now from J&J about a hands free soap dispenser. I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head when I see it: The entire premise is that it will automatically dispense a measure of soap without being touched, thereby saving the user from coming in contact with potentially harmful bacteria.

What makes me laugh is that it is an Anti-bacteria Soap.

"Buy this, you won't get germs on your hands IMMEDIATELY before using an anti-germ product to clean your dirty hands".

Redundant or insane?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

This is one way to spread nasty bacteria and disease around the World... new strains will form which could be pretty bad for a lot of people....

What i've seen over many years is these immigrants who come here to the UK do have disgusting habits such as not swalling and always spitting (no, i'm not chatting about what your dirty minds are thinking
)... also they cough up flem and spit it outside on the pavements or near your doors even.... i've also heard that some people don't use toilet roll (i dont know about this last one bt if true then its disgusting and bound to spread plenty of nasty germs around)....

frankly i've just become even more disgusted then i was when started my reply!!

flagged!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Wow, you didn't read the article did you? Is has little to do with dirty immigrants you seem to be disgusted with. Each infection occurred in a medical center of some kind. No one got it from bad hygiene. Those cats who don't clean themselves too well? It's gross, but they are more likely to not catch it than you are you.
www.nytimes.com...

Daily exposure to germs and viruses increases one's immunity to the them. Daily exposure to dirt and dander makes one more able to deal with it in a healthy manner.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by boo1981

frankly i've just become even more disgusted then i was when started my reply!!

Frankly, in reference to your post, disgusting is the word that comes to mind, yes.

Maybe you should consider also the fact that the "dirty immigrants" who have invaded our blissful haven of utopian attitudes and behaviour, may actually know how to wash their hands after cleaning themselves in a far more hygenic way than when using tissue, as we do.

Ignorant people like you, are really the ones who are making this country intolerable.. hence my above post. Where in the UK are you from exactly? I just wonder how many "immigrants" youve ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I personally am very humbled by the respect and dignity of those who were unfortunate enough to come to this depressing little island, ppulated mainly by ignorant fools such as yourself. Its a shame really, its people like you who give us Brits a bad name. Have you seen the slogan above every single thread on this site? It reads "Deny Ignorance". Bear that in mind next time you insult millions of people at once.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DizzyDayDream

But they do cough up flem and spit outside your door.... i live next door to a Somalian family and the Father does just that when he's just come out from being inside.... why? why didnt he do that inside? I've seen em walk by the front and stop cough up flem and then spit on the rass area....

those are the ones i'm chatting about.... i don't know why you are having a go at me when i'm just reporting on what i see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears...

Like i said i don't know about the toilet tissue thing as i have no proof of this but i have heard that a couple of times and both times they were referring to pakistanis.... do you know if this is true? If its a false lie then i apologise for causing you unrest but i still think the coughing up flem and spitting outside someones front door and out front by passers by is pretty disgusting.... and that's what i'm referring too!!!

Please do read the posts properly before getting all defensive.

And NO... i read the article on another media website so didnt need to read this one posted by OP

edit : here is a link to the article..... notice the headline reads 'hospitals on alert for IMPORTED superbug!!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by DizzyDayDream

edit : here is a link to the article..... notice the headline reads 'hospitals on alert for IMPORTED superbug!!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

mmmhmm, imported by people who went to India to get cheap plastic surgery. Where did they get those bugs? Medical centers. Plenty of British citizens go to india for cheap plastic surgery. This stuff doesn't develop in toilets and dirty hands, nor would have washing their hands killed the crap.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by antonia]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join