It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In breakthrough, nerve connections are regenerated after spinal cord injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

In breakthrough, nerve connections are regenerated after spinal cord injury

www.eurekalert.org

Researchers from UCI, UCSD and Harvard deleted a cell growth inhibitor called PTEN

Irvine, Calif. — Researchers for the first time have induced robust regeneration of nerve connections that control voluntary movement after spinal cord injury, showing the potential for new therapeutic approaches to paralysis and other motor function impairments.

In a study on rodents, the UC Irvine, UC San Diego and Harvard University team achieved this breakthrough by turning back the developmental clock in a molecular pathway critical for the growth of corticospinal tract nerve connections.

They di
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
With all the doom and gloom being posted, I find this to be a refreshing reminder that not all of humanity is bent on destroying the human race. While those affected by spinal paralysis may be small in number, their suffering is no less important. I hope this discovery can be used to help those who have previously suffered from spinal injury paralysis and can be used as a quick and effective means to help future ones.

www.eurekalert.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
S & F!

Saw this article and thought it could be one of the greatest medical discoveries of at least this century.

Think how many paraplegics there must be and what it would mean for them if they could even partially be cured.

Now have to hope it won't be the standard" at least 5 years" before treatments could begin.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wonder if this discovery will have impact on those disabled with nerves dying. My poor sister for whom I caretake is afflicted with this, and I support all the research that goes on in the nerve regenerating field. Thank you for sharing this news.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I wonder if this discovery will have impact on those disabled with nerves dying. My poor sister for whom I caretake is afflicted with this, and I support all the research that goes on in the nerve regenerating field. Thank you for sharing this news.

microcurrents can start regeneration.look up robert o becker,etc...you can even do it yourself using 1.5 volt battery and pads and resistors.

look it up in google.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Star and Flag!

Hopefully this is the begining of something beautiful! You are right it is a welcome break from the doom and gloom.

It was only a matter of time before we saw this progress and I'm glad I will be able to see it within my lifetime!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Researchers from UCI, UCSD and Harvard deleted a cell growth inhibitor called PTEN

I agree that this is very exciting news and hopefully it will lead the way to radical new treatments but............... playing devils advocate, has anyone stopped to think "why" nature created a growth inhibitor in the first place?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

microcurrents can start regeneration.look up robert o becker,etc...you can even do it yourself using 1.5 volt battery and pads and resistors.

look it up in google.
Thank you I will. So google microcurrents. That sounds like a tens unit.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

Im sure it is to prevent nerves growing through to the outside.
Imagine how painful it would be with exposed nerves poking out the ends of your fingers and other parts of the body.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

Never thought of it that way but you could be right, damn that would nip a bit.

top topics

join