It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does the Navy rank?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
With the upcoming naval exercises, I started wondering, how does The US Navy rank compare to other Navies of the world? How do the Navies of other countries like Singapore, The British, and Russia rank?

Thanks
-dnnx

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
the US navy is number one of course everyone knows this but for second place its a close call beetwen the british and russians but i Think the british have a slight atvantage.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
navies
largest : japanese (i kow this sounds stupid but its true theve got like hundreds of small patrol boats)
best trained : royal navy (has to be we have the best trained sub crews and marines and normal guys on the block)
firepower and tech: usa/ russia (both are good at fire power and large numbers and good tech)
stealthyness (american nuclear ones and russian desiels)

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Taking into account the specific mission of each country's navy (e.g. coastal defence, projection of power, strategic deterent, patroling sea lanes, etc.) it is clear the US Navy is superior to all others.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
what the duty of every navy is to protect its coast and the US navy is not superior there.
and how can u say that every navy has a diffrent role ?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, IMO there exist navies whose sole purpose can be defined as coastal defence, i.e. Japan (although it seems the US is pushing them to go blue water) or Canada.

Those Navies do not have to concern themselves with transport of personnel, material, and support across a body of water to begin and sustain continued hostile action against an adversary.

Oh, and you may be correct with regard to the US Navy's abilities to defend the coast.

However, please note that in times of conflict, the US Coast Guard and all its assets areplaced into the defense department's naval operations.

Good point Devillwasp

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
aint no way japan will get blue water what with all the restrictions on it .

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah, they (Japanese people and Government) have been very reluctant to go blue water. And they have used their previous expansionist WWII experience to justify their position.

Then there's those pesky restrictions you so rightly mentioned.

However, and I may be wrong, I believe those restricitons are self imposed.

And with the America's rising deficit, and the apparent escalation of the threats from North Korea and China, it may not be out of the realm of possibility for a Japanese government to be able to justify an offensive role for their Navy.

Still, it is clear that, regardless of assigned mission, the best sailors are from the UK and the US.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
the US navy is number one of course everyone knows this but for second place its a close call beetwen the british and russians but i Think the british have a slight atvantage.

this is true. the russian fleet is so rusty its amazing that they can still float those ships

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

this is true. the russian fleet is so rusty its amazing that they can still float those ships

the british although not a very big navy still has superior training over the russians.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
What about Singapore? I keep hearing how they are rapidly becoming a major player...
Anyone have any details on them?

-dnnx

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
US Navy

This is a transcript of an ACTUAL radio communication between a U.S. NAVY ship and Canadian authorities off the cost of Newfoundland, October 1995. Radio log released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10/10/95:

CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees South to avoid collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees North to avoid a collision.

CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: This is the captain of a U.S. Navy ship. I say again, divert.

CANADIANS: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.

AMERICANS: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES
WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

CANADIANS: This is a lighthouse . . . Your call.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
haha i would have F up that lighthouse with one cruise missle

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
US Navy

This is a transcript of an ACTUAL radio communication between a U.S. NAVY ship and Canadian authorities off the cost of Newfoundland, October 1995. Radio log released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10/10/95:

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees North to avoid a collision.

CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES

Out,
Russian

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice one russian.

I doubt that really happened thou.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

didn't you watch the news last year when that russian sub sank and all hands were lost? I think a better way to put it is "it's amazing they still have any left floating"

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

US Navy

Out,
Russian

Haha, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Can`t wait to share that around some American friends

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Don't let the story get around too much. Or we might get sent on a pre-emptive strike.

E_T

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   

haha i would have F up that lighthouse with one cruise missle

It would have to be nuclear tipped to destroy also that rock.

www.snopes.com...

www.ahajokes.com...
www.aviationhumour.co.uk...
www.specialoperations.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
what the duty of every navy is to protect its coast and the US navy is not superior there.
and how can u say that every navy has a diffrent role ?

This is a severe over-generalization. Navies run blockades. Navies support invasions and interdict shipping on the open sea. Navies fight piracy and smuggling. Navies even spy.
I had an old friend who was a Naval intelligence officer. He told me that US Sumbarines used to sneak into Russian ports (I think it was vladivostock specifically but i'm not sure) and record the sound of every Russian submarine's very first voyage, so that they could be tracked and identified around the world, and so that potential defectors could be located and monitored, as well as "politically reliable" captains who would likely be used for major ops against America were followed this way.

The U.S. Navy has the most stealthy submarines, which makes us the mark to beat for intelligence, nuclear deterence, and the ability to cut down other navies.

The Russians supposedly had incredibly fast submarines and super-cavitating torpedoes that would have been impossible to outmanuever, which gave them the edge in a straight-up fight.

The Brits have carrier superiority over the Russians though, so the Russians couldn't stand up to them on the surface, which makes the sea safe for Russian destroyers and their ASW choppers to play cat and mouse with Russian subs. (that would be a really interesting war, until America showed up and started ambushing Russian subs by using brit destroyers as bait, and it would get laughable when we invaded Russia and T-90s tried to slug it out with Challenger 2s and M1A2s. but i digress.

EDIT: It bears mention that the US has shifted its focus to brown water operations, and if they aren't careful to maintain their submarines they will one day find themselves completely powerless to operate anywhere in the pacific or Indian oceans, courtesy of China (or even a re-born Japanese navy, if they were to ever attempt empire again).

[edit on 21-6-2004 by The Vagabond]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join