It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
My question is what is love? Are the various stimuli that cause the brain to release the neurotransmitter dopamine worthy of the name? When you're with that special person and you feel your heart start thumping madly, the lightheadedness and warm pulses passing through the body, wouldn't it be improper to say "I love you" instead one would say "I'm experiencing love" or "I dopamine you". After all wouldn't a rose by any other name smell as sweet? I'm sure all the ladies are shaking their heads at me. Fellas, you feel where I'm coming from right?

Next I'm going to share with you a brief parable about my life, a non sequitur, which got me thinking about this whole topic.

----------

Some years ago I read a book by a famous existential writer who thought nothing should exist besides objective sensual experience. What of things like murder, love, guilt, or friendship? All were meaningless innovations summoned by the weaknesses of the human spirit because the universe was amoral and chaotic in a true way that humans as lesser beings couldn't comprehend.

O, what a wonder of philosophy I stumbled upon. I was all like, "This is the TRUTH guys. You NEED to read this!"

In my moments of solitude I would envision:

"Man, if people would just stop giving in to all these meaningless abstractions real work could be done for the cause of humanity. We could focus on serving the ultimate cause of fighting injustice. This is what it's all about! Follow me to the underground revolution!"

Sounds funny, but this was perfect knowledge for me at that time. I believed the only mission one could have in life was serving this cause and the ardor of my dedication was such that I would camp out at busy intersections waiting to help old ladies cross the street, thus redefining human nature solely with my selflessness.

I was Jesus Christ meets Leon Trotsky. You could smell freedom upon my breath and sacrifice in my sweat.

Which brings me to love.

While I was reading another one of the famous existential author's books I came across a curious sentence that read (paraphrasing) [All of my work about rebellious posturing is cool and all but when it comes down to it only love can change the world] basically refuting everything he had ever written.

It shocked me at the time and my views about the universe have changed dramatically since.

----------

So what is love? - This idea that people think can topple governments and save lives.

Is it merely a schoolgirl fantasy?

Is it just some idea people throw out there when they have nothing better to say?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by AProphet1233]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 8-8-2010 by born2BWild]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Do you have any kids? Not a really good example because there are "questionable" parents out there who dont treat their kids right, but if you have your own you may understand the answer to your own question. Science can be really silly at times.

top topics

join