It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Looks to Legalization as Drug War Murders Hit 28,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

President joins calls for debate after figures reveal extent of violence since launch of military offensive against cartels in 2006

Mexico's president, Felipe Calderón, has joined calls for a debate on the legalization of drugs as new figures show thousands of Mexicans every year being slaughtered in cartel wars.

Calderón's new openness comes amid tremendous pressure to justify a strategy that has been accompanied by the spiraling of horrific violence around the country as the cartels fight each other and the government crack down. Official figures released this week put the number of drug war related murders at 28,000.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Finally someone is using logic when addressing this issue. I wonder how quickly the American government will shoot down these "debates."

The "War on Drugs" is one of the stupidest things one can imagine. I am not in favor of any drug, but if someone really wants to poison his or her body, why not at least take the criminals out of the buying'selling equation?

[edit on 6-8-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

[edit on 6-8-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
ABOUT DAMN TIME.
Watch the finances of the cartels take a nosedive now.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If the Mexico Prez actualy manages to push this through he will be dead within a week. The suspects? Either the drug gangs or the CIA... Take your pic

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

For this reason, as Shen Long posts below yours, I suspect the cartels will be targetting him. The CIA too most likely. But at least he is trying to make a change.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
ONLY ONE PROBLEM...

The cartels aren't selling it in Mexico...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

I read it as, it will be legal=no more going after the cartels on the USA's behalf.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Interesting...

So like they are giving in to the cartels basically then?

They won?

If the US wants to do something about it, they come and do it?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Finally some common sense...ALL drugs should be legal, unless your use of drugs directly effects the liberties of others then neither the state nor any anti-drug zealots should have any say in the matter. Of course as usual it all comes down to $$$ and not the health and freedoms of people....so i very much doubt this debate will accomplish much.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeanius

I don't know if it's saying "you won" so much as admitting it's an unwinnable war. 28,000 deaths due to this war; it's time to stop. The US is already in Mexico I believe. If America wants to stop drugs, stop them at the border.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

America could stop drugs if they wanted to.

However, it keeps our private prisons full of non-violent and easily controlled people, and portions of our government bring it into the country using the profits to fund black projects, cartels, dealers, dictators and more.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm hopeful that Mexico will see the light and stop the losing strategy of prohibition

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
legalize marijuana and hemp. put everybody to work and make everything under the sun out of hemp. it's the way out of the depression in more ways than one.
the mexicans could stay home and grow it.
its the meth and crack that need real attention.

new topics

top topics

join