It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VA Lawsuit against Federal Healthcare Bill will Go Forward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

VA Lawsuit against Federal Healthcare Bill will Go Forward

www.loudountimes.com

Virginia’s lawsuit arguing that the federal government’s health-care reform is unconstitutional will move forward.

On Aug. 2, U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson ruled against a motion filed by U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, in which Sebelius asked Hudson to dismiss the suit.

“While this case raises a host of complex constitutional issues, all seem to distill to the single question of whether or not Congress has the power to regulate – and tax – a citizen’s deciVirginia’s lawsuit arguing that the federal government’s health-care reform is u
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com
www2.wsls.com

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this. I am glad that the case is moving forward but I am confused about the issue the court is seeing here. Virginia also passed a law making mandatory healthcare ILLEGAL in the state, aside from this lawsuit.

As far as I can see this is just another instance of federal law vs. state law, and according to the Constitution, unless that federal law happens to be an amendment to the Constitution itself, state laws prevail. The healthcare bill was of course NOT an amendment to the Constitution.

It's good to see the healthcare bill challenged, but I really wish states would be more assertive with their 10th amendment rights. In reality we all know the politicians are whipped by money, courts and lawyers too....

www.loudountimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
From some of the provisions I have read about in the Obamacare package, I am glad to see it being challenged. I think more states should follow suit and file as well. If an overwhelming majority of states file against this, then perhaps it can be removed and we can go back to getting actual healthcare.

As it stands and from what I have been able to decipher so far (with help):
the requirement to have insurance either through an employer or through self is much akin to a new tax on the middle and lower class that otherwise might not have been able to afford it, especially in the wake of mass layoffs and unemployment;
small business owners must provide an insurance option to all employees and will receive a bit of financial assistance from the gov't for doing so, which means employees who are currently making barely or less than enough to survive, now have an additional deduction from their meager wages, again seeming more like a tax hike than a benefit for both the business and the employee;
healthcare provider networks are going to be restructured, which means fewer options to choose from and your current doctor may no longer be in your healthcare provider network, and that is mostly just a pain in the neck to change from someone you trust;

I will stop there, although there is more I could add. I dont want to get too far off the OP.

Again, I support this decision and hope that more state AGs will follow.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
People are still trying to figure out what the bill even says and is going to do to our medical system, but if you have any doubt that it's going to mess it up even worse then you're a fool.

new topics

top topics

join