It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: 5.3 quake removed. 4.8 just south of Yellowstone confirmed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
WIKIPEDIA SAVE THE DAY!!!

en.wikipedia.org...

I am no master on the subject, but from what I can understand; Protons, electrons, and heavy ions have a better chance at reaching the ground when entering from the north and south poles.

Pilots have a warning system in effect to tell them to fly at lower altitudes and avoid the poles during solar events.

There are ground stations placed all over the world that measure how much energy makes it through to the ground from the sun. The Sudbury Neutrino Observatory being one of the most successful in improving our understanding of how the sun interacts with our planet.

Sudbury Neutrino Observatory @ Queens University in Ontario, Canada

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Yes there are proton storms. No there was no such event associated with the C3 flare on Sunday. If there had been the protons would have arrived soon after the flare, not on Tuesday night.

There is nothing in the Wiki article which says anything about protons reaching much further than the ionosphere (that's where the aurora occur). It talks about increases in radiation occurring as a secondary effect of proton events. That is what poses a danger to aircraft flying the polar routes.

Neutrinos are not protons and trillions (really) of them pass right through us and the Earth every second. They are high energy particles which are difficult to detect because they have very, very little effect on us, our planet, or anything else. Neutrinos are produced deep within the Sun. While there is some speculation that they may be produced by very powerful solar flares there is scant evidence to demonstrate it.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Its all good that you believe that the sun, and solar events dont effect us or the earth that much. I believe the complete opposite. The sun dictates the arrangement of matter and even as far as effecting our thoughts and moods.

Thats beside the point though, large generators and capacitors have emergency shut down systems in place for when a CME hits Earth. The larger power systems are vulnerable to be overcharged and overheated from picking up on the charge from a CME.

The best example being the 1989 CME that brought down power for 6 million people in Quebec by frying 2 pricelessly massive generators, and causing billions of dollars in damage. Morse code cables pick up on the emf interference and can even heat up to the point of combustion as well as shock operators.

an article on the 1989 CME:
www.solarstorms.org...

this wiki is good for the list of damages and radiation effect on biology. apparently homing pigeons lose their homing ability during a CME. dolphins/porpoises lose their magnetic navigation ability.

wiki wiki geomagnetic storm

My reasoning behind magma being effected by CME's is that copper wire is effected. It would make sense that any conductive metals would be charged by a geomagnetic storm. The picture of lightning coming out of the icelandic volcano comes to mind.

my thought process is bulletproof by no means, but i find this to be an enticing subject.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 7minds

It is a fascinating topic, one that arouses a lot of interest. But again, the data just does not back up the speculation.

Yes, geomagnetic storms induce electrical currents in long electrical conductors. No doubt about it. Power lines, wire fences, oil pipelines are all subject to the phenomenon.

Animals are known to use the Earth's magnetic field for navigation. A disruption of the field may very well cause them problems.

I don't think magma is very conductive but I could be wrong. Even if it is, I don't see how an electric charge would cause earthquakes. Lightning in volcanic (and thunder) clouds is a well known phenomenon, probably caused by friction between ash (water) particles. Lighting doesn't cause earthquakes or volcanoes but volcanoes can cause lightning.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
sorry, the lightning comment was offhand.....not really referring to the subject matter. the photos of the lightning seem to be coming from sheer friction. Electricity jumping between particles showing some conductivity.

I could look at photos of it all day. the foot of the avatar.

[edit on 5-8-2010 by 7minds]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I clicked this thread because I was interested in reading about a quake, not a sun

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's all good. I was replying to him to try to explain that these events do occur in clusters like today. While it might not be an everyday thing, they do occur. I probably wasn't clear enough that I meant it didn't have to be associated with anything, much less a CME to happen.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
4.0 aftershock was just reported for this:

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.0
Date-Time

* Thursday, August 05, 2010 at 14:59:28 UTC
* Thursday, August 05, 2010 at 08:59:28 AM at epicenter

Location 43.606°N, 110.423°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region WYOMING
Distances

* 31 km (20 miles) ENE (62°) from Jackson, WY
* 33 km (20 miles) E (86°) from Teton Village, WY
* 35 km (22 miles) ENE (57°) from Rafter J Ranch, WY
* 339 km (211 miles) NNE (20°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 5.3 km (3.3 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 18, Nph= 18, Dmin=14.7 km, Rmss=0.55 sec, Gp=115°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=7
Source

* U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID us2010zpcy

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I hope this helps give a bit more understanding of the subject.

This is the Terra Magneto Scope or GRSSAL - (Global Realtime Scientific Sensor Aggregation Limn)

terramagnetoscope.net...

I lets you pick 2 of the 8 available worldwide magnetic sensors and compare them to seismic data. Giving you a scope of how solar wind speed/density and seismic activity are comparing in real time.

Now I may be shooting myself in the foot with this. Mostly because I doubt that every peak in solar activity results in an equal sized earthquake. But just the fact that these 3 factors (solar wind/density+seismic activity) are being compared in the same realtime graph tells me that there is definitely a correlation between CME's and seismic activity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join