It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida confirms 24 cases of dengue fever in Key West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Florida confirms 24 cases of dengue fever in Key West

www.cnn.com

New statistics from the department said 24 cases of dengue fever have been reported in Key West through mid-July. Of those, 18 involve Key West residents, five are residents of other Florida counties and one case involves a resident of another state. In addition, 49 so-called "imported" cases of dengue fever are reported in Florida. Those cases involved people who had traveled to areas under a dengue endemic, such as the Caribbean or Central and South America.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Corexit Tied To 'Dengue Fever' In Florida?
Heads up: It's dengue fever and it's here

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
There have been a few threads here about dengue fever. Now it's confirmed.

For those who don't know what dengue fever is:
WHO: Dengue Fever

Dengue is a mosquito-borne infection that in recent decades has become a major international public health concern. Dengue is found in tropical and sub-tropical regions around the world, predominantly in urban and semi-urban areas.

See related news link for information about the risk of it spreading.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's also called 'Breakebone fever' because the pain is so excruciating that it feels like your bones are being broken.

I live in northeast Florida and I am not taking any chances, we bought plenty of mosquito repellents to protect ourselves from this.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

That sounds horrible. Guess it's scary stuff. Get rid of standing water too.

The only reason I even found this article was because I was looking for articles on West Nile fever, which is up in the Atlanta area and, it looks like, in Florida too.

Pesky mosquitos!

[edit on 8/4/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
They make it sound like it's restricted to hot weather areas, but mosquitoes are everywhere. West Nile has moved north, it's across most of south Canada too, so why would something like this not spread everywhere also?

What I noticed this year, way up here on the 53rd parallel, is the moment the snow started to melt and there was water, there was mosquitoes. They seem to be getting tougher, and bigger.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Would that have anything to do with Bill Gate's vaccinating mosquitoes
for people who don't want to be in the 15 or cent population reduction
by vaccine he mentioned a while back?

[edit on 4-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

The related USA Today article I linked in the OP says it's too soon to tell, but it is a possibility.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Haha...yeah. Great question. Always be on the lookout for the stories beyond the stories.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Maybe the mosquitos were created in a government "lab" and are being released in order to cover up the toxicity being experienced by the Gulf spill victims.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well...one of the linked threads in the OP does discuss the Corexit angle in regard to dengue fever. You never know. More stuff to keep at the back of your mind...in case.

join