It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal police officer shot dog in Arundel park

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
It is not illegal to discharge a firearm in a city limit.
The cause must be justifiable.
How else do you think that a homeowner can shoot a burglar,
or a nurse can shoot a man attempting to rape her.

Maybe the Husky was trying to assault the Shepherd or rape the Shepherd.

Why is it not possible to give negative stars. The Shepherd didn't have a mark on him and the gun happy "off"icer apparently has no clue about dog behavior or play fighting versus true aggression.

Take this man's gun, his job and his freedom! He's a danger to society if he can pull his gun in a public place and discharge it, killing this dog, without understanding the scene! He's too quick on the trigger for my liking.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Two wrongs dont make a right but if the cop gets pummeled to death with stones at least he wont be able to kill anyone elses pet or child for no reason at all.

I agree. The only way to stop this kind of BS, is to police the police. If these guys run into a lot of unfortunate accidents a few months down the road, maybe the rest of them will begin to get the point.

If this were my dog, I would lovingly forgive this police officer and apologize for my dogs behavior. I would cry on tv and mourn for my dog and talk about how I was happy to have had the time together with him, and that coming from a rescue shelter, I am not surprised, and I am ready to forgive and move on. All the while, I would be researching this cops habits and personal information and I would be plotting a cold dish of revenge for several months down the road! I would personally make myself an agent of Karma, and I would make sure that a lot of unfortunate accidents made this guy unable to work or carry a weapon!

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Looks like our "FEDERAL POLICE" (read UNCONSTITUTIONAL) have the authority to do anything they want Got it. Just don't ever let your children play with those of a federale, he might shoot your kid for taking a toy.

WTH ARE FEDERAL POLICE???

Are these Obama's SS stormtroopers?

Come shoot my dog and see what happens

[edit on 5-8-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

ATA..
Spot on! To think a hollow point bullet to take care of the problem when he pulled out his weapon and took two steps back and shoot this Life form.
It tells me alot in his choice. Ice cold!
Or there was some hot chick he wanted to show how studly I am.
Anyway we look at it, Get him out of the program.

I flash white hot.

Two ways/whys of the the law, yours don't count.

Was his name mention in this ordeal.. there is a reason for that as well!

Unless he is brought to justice.. Unless its put on MSN, it won't happen!

I'd also like to mention, all others that have posted their feelings regarding this.. Ditto!

Correction, except for one Identity that wanted to excuse this outcome.
You could of been the next victim if you threaten him in his action..
Worthless "Piece" I'd say. Hollow point bullet.. My God.
Makes you want to coward when he is in Uniform, not knowing his past..

My heart goes out to the family of this Pet!

I feel sorry if this A$$hole has children.... it could be repeated again.

No justice will be seen here.. but seen again without it.

Be Wise!
Be well.....
Jesse

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I know this thread is a few months old, but I found it in a search because I read a recent article about this case and wanted to post my own thread. It looks like they are reopening the case because of an 'outcry' from residents in the town.

Also, as opposed to the OP article, the off-duty cop who shot the dog is saying he did it because the dog tried to bite him:

Baltimore Sun

Bear-Bear was playing off-leash in the fenced-in park when the officer arrived with his wife and leashed German shepherd named Asia. The husky's owner and the federal police officer have offered differing accounts of what happened next — the officer told police that the husky tried to bite him and his dog, but Bear-Bear's owner says the dogs were playing.

The officer pulled a gun and shot the brown-and-white husky, who died from his injuries a few hours later. Neither the officer nor his wife reported any injuries to Asia, according to police accounts.

The whole point of dog parks is to have a safe haven for dogs to play around off-leash. People certainly don't expect that they should have to worry about some fool walking around with a gun waiting to shoot the first dog that looks at him funny. Let's say the huskie went to attack his German Sheppard for the sake of argument. I have been around at least three aggressive dog fights in the last few years, the last one was just two weeks ago (some very irresponsible pit bull ownersLET their unleashed dog creep up like a dang cat and attack our friends leashed dog at the river. ). In neither of those instances has the dog that initiated the fight EVER tried to hurt a nearby human.

My take? I think this guy perceived the Husky as being aggressive towards his dog and shot him out of fear for his own dog's safety and later tried to say the dog was trying to attack him knowing that discharging his weapon in such a manner would get him in some deep doggy doo-doo (no pun intended).

I think he should be charged with something and it gets me that off-duty cops can just walk around with concealed weapons and shoot anything that threatens him in an instant. That is the thing of it nowadays, all a cop has to do is say he/she felt 'threatened' and any action is justifiable.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Bit of an update:

WJA, ABC7 News out of Washington, DC has named Keith Shephard as the officer who shot Bear-Bear on Monday night. Bear-Bear was a Siberian Husky who was playing in a community dog park when Shephard, allegedly fearing for his life, shot the husky in defense.Source

And it looks like the case just might be investigated:

In the aftermath, Anne Arundel County police reopened an investigation and the Rettaliatas are confident that eventually the man who killed their four-year-old husky will pay some kind of price.Source

I'm betting if there is any price paid it'll be a paid suspension (read: vacation) and a whole lot of bravo and applause from his psychopath peers.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Further update:

As a group of 20 people demonstrated Monday outside the Anne Arundel County courthouse in Annapolis supporting of the owners of a dog fatally shot Aug. 2 in a Severn park, county prosecutors said it may take another week or more for them to finish their investigation and decide whether to charge the shooter. Source

Another week before they decide to file charges or not.

The article makes it sound like the guy involved is an army MP or something like that.

Maybe best buddies with that guy who tossed a puppy off a cliff.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
UPDATE

Charges filed against the good officer.

The charges against Mr. Shepherd are both misdemeanors. They are:

Misdemeanor Animal Cruelty – Inflicting Unnecessary Suffering and Pain to an animal ($1000/90 Day Maximum Penalty)

Discharging of a Firearm within 100 yards of an occupied structure ($1,000/6 month maximum penalty) Source

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The cop should be sent in for a psych eval on the way to being fired, imho.

If you have so little self control that you shoot another dog at a dog park, you have no business carrying a gun, at all. Much less being given the authority to carry one as a police officer.

I honestly cant believe that NOTHING was done to this guy. If a non-cop did the same thing, they would have gone to jail for it. The double standard here is really amazing. Hopefully the public outcry will change this.

Edit saw the update, but still think this guy needs a psych eval to go with his charges. That sort of behavior is not normal. Clearly this guy is either on a power trip, or he is such a coward he reaches for weapons long before any reasonable person would.

[edit on 25-8-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
I'll probably get slammed for this.. but i'm sick of reading things like this. If a cop ever decided to shoot my dog, he better be wearing his vest, cause I got a H&K .308 with his name on it. Enough is enough.

Seriously, no one is going to delete this guy's post, a clear threat of violence against the police?!!?

Wow, I don't know about shooting dogs, this site is going to the dogs.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Going forward, the OP needs to post the mailing address where we can send letters. I'm so fed up with these situations and it takes me too much time to look up the info. So please, post the mailing address for PoPo or the DA and to whom it should be addressed.

If enough physical letters (not just emails that can be deleted) are sent in, it has a bigger impact on getting something done.

A police officer has NO BUSINESS bringing a firearm to a dog park.
Just like a cop has NO BUSINESS drawing a gun at a snowball fight.

If he felt like his life was in danger, then why didn't he just grab his dog and leave? Had these people never been to a dog park before? Why didn't they take Asia's leash off?

It wouldn't hold any water in court if I said I shot a cop because "I felt my life was in danger", so WHY should a cop get to use that excuse? This double-standard crap needs to end. And YES! He needs a psych eval.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
to me, just sounds like the TPTB are testing the patient of US citizens and 'wanting' us to go full bore against the system..they WANT us to start something.

Cops KNOW better~!!!! Come on wake up all~! How many times in the last 2 years have we heard cops be outright and belligerent do crap like this?!

is the cop wrong, YEA!! will he get a slap on the wrist?? already did IAW the updates. same old story... i'm not surprised at all about this ..

oh and the cop's last name of all names .. just so happens to be 'Shepard' .. LOL.. yea....

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

I'll probably get slammed for this.. but i'm sick of reading things like this. If a cop ever decided to shoot my dog, he better be wearing his vest, cause I got a H&K .308 with his name on it. Enough is enough.

Seriously, no one is going to delete this guy's post, a clear threat of violence against the police?!!?

Using "Police" in general does not constitute a threat. If he said he would like to pull the trigger on this Keith Shepherd idiot then yes it would be a threat.

I have already envisioned myself shooting someone who shots my dog because of the anger I feel over such senselessness.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Aim high. Go for a head shoot.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

What if it was your dog? Or even your kid? Or for that mater you that got shot by this fool. Enough is enough.

edited for spelling. I can not spell when I get mad.

[edit on 8/25/2010 by fixer1967]

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
could they try bringing privet charges?
sad that to get justice you have to make your own.
if they see HIM in the park again ?!?!
you best put your self between him and your dog.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
if they see HIM in the park again ?!?!
you best put your self between him and your dog.

He shouldn't even be ALLOWED in a dog park, much less return to that one. I have a feeling the people who go to that park would riot him out. And I think the dog park should have a sign posted:

"No firearms, tasers or knives permitted."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join