It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Designed To Attack The Android Smartphones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I posted this on my blog this morning, but thought everyone here may want to know about it. I'm sure there are at least a couple of people here that own an Android smartphone.

(Note to mods: I ran this through Copyscape before posting it to my own blog, so the only thing we may see is duplicate content.)

Who doesn’t love the latest technological devices? Being able to lay your hands on one of the latest ‘toys’ is almost like being a kid on Christmas morning all over again. Technology has advanced so rapidly, these past several years. These devices are both smaller and more advanced than even products released a few days before.

One of these ‘toys’ is the Android phone. The Android phone is a smartphone that is produced by different manufacturers, and is based on the Google Android operating system. The manufacturer of the Android phone mentioned here, is HTC Corp., a Taiwan based technology firm.

Reuters reports that two security experts have designed a software tool that can exploit a flaw in the Android smartphone. They claim this software is a root kit. A root kit is a means to gain administrator access control of a system, by use of software or hardware. The head of Spider Labs, Nicholas Percoco, and a colleague, while in attendance at the Defcon Hacker’s Conference on Friday, released their version of this tool.

This software has but one purpose: To hack into your Android phone and rob you of your information. This can be done all without your knowing anything about it, until it is too late. Unfortunately we do not know if the makers of these smartphones are working on a fix for this issue, as neither HTC nor Google could be reached for comment.

I recall an old cliche that says, “locks and security systems are designed to keep a honest person out.” Therefore if anyone wants into a system bad enough, they will find a way to gain access. It is up to the owner of the information to remain diligent and secure the information they want to remain private.

Source:
Reuters

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I think they will definatly be working on a fix for this. You would be stupid not to.

also I bet the guys at apple HQ are also looking for flaws in the android to undermime the competition.

I like the fact that i can have an Iphone like device without giving any money to apple

(yes all my replies are a word salad, i know)

[edit on 2-8-2010 by MR BOB]

join