It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Spoofs Cell Phone Tower to Intercept Calls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

LAS VEGAS — A security researcher created a cell phone base station that tricks cell phones into routing their outbound calls through his device, allowing someone to intercept even encrypted calls in the clear.

The device tricks the phones into disabling encryption and records call details and content before they’re routed on their proper way through voice-over-IP.

Paget’s system costs only about $1,500, as opposed to several hundreds of thousands for professional products. Most of the price is for the laptop he used to operate the system.

Source : www.wired.com...

Privacy? Which privacy?

Digital age is exposing our personal life more and more. Hoe do that affect you?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I found that I could build multi track recording studios in throw away computers (P2's, P3s ) using multiple sound cards and ASIO drivers for less then 100 dollars TOTAL and I have two computers linked together with 20 tracks simultaneous recording
This uses less then 5 percent processor per computer.
I am not referring to two plus two consecutive, I am referring to all tracks recording at once in real time.

I use old head phones for drum triggers/mikes duck taped to the drum shells straight into the line ins on the cards
20 dollar mikes from Philips two line ins per card
I can do the whole band live in any location for no cost.

every one thinks my recordings are expensive studio work.

I mention all this to say that a creative person who looks for opportunity can do major things cheap with PCs and windows.

If I were to mount a mike on a thrown away sat dish for instance I could record conversatons at some distance....
not to mention reading optics from a window vibrating and converting to sound...with simple stuff that is mostly salvage...

I am working with nothing, imagine what someone with resources and real skills could/can do.
privacy really doesn't exist anymore

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I used to be involved in a not for profit sound studio (practice room+recording), teaching to kids and teenagers so they get interests other than doing drugs. A little bit of work and creativity with minimal investment can make for a great setup. You obviously took that to the next level. Cheers to you (virtual beer).

join