It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puzzling Space Ray Pattern in Antartica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

A puzzling pattern in the cosmic rays bombarding Earth from space has been discovered by an experiment buried deep under the ice of Antarctica.

Cosmic rays are highly energetic particles streaming in from space that are thought to originate in the distant remnants of dead stars.

But it turns out these particles are not arriving uniformly from all directions. The new study detected an overabundance of cosmic rays coming from one part of the sky, and a lack of cosmic rays coming from another.

Wasn't this the subject of the movie 2012?

where neutrinos were heating up the earths core...

and then all hell broke loose..

source

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by ArMaP]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There is a lot of potential causes of this.

It's hard to say.

It could be malfunctioning equipment (though I doubt that).

It could be the scientists mis-interpret their findings.

Or there could be natural processes around Earth, such as the magnetic field, that cause the rays to come in one area more so than another area.

What we need is to have space probes visit distant space, preferably outside of our solar system *really far away from the Sun*. Then we can get sensor readings on cosmic rays in deep space. Then we can see what the basic background radiation is like away from massive objects like those in our solar system.

My point is we have very little data to base our theories on. We need to collect data from many other sources before we can make bold assumptions about this phenomena.

Just my thoughts.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I am gonna bump this thread because it's really interesting and fascinating and I would love to hear some of the bright minds here at ATS comment on it.

Who cares if you are right or don't know anything about it.

Just read the article and post your thoughts, this is like a hugely important scientific subject. These findings are surprising to say the least.

Anyone have any thoughts at all about it?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
well, with the way that the magnetosphere seems to be shaped, from the diagrams and such that i've seen - it's like a spider where the earth is in the area of the abdomen...as well as what its function is, toward our welfare, which is deflecting dangerous stuff coming from space - some of which we know of and so certainly much more of which we are still unaware, it makes sense to me that there would be such a pattern at the polar region.

i hope i made sense with that. i can explain further if necessary but i don't want to convolve my idea unnecessarily.

new topics

top topics

join