It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anne Rice renounces Christianity after one too many hateful preacher quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

"It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group"

Anne Rice quits church, blaming Bradlee Dean, among others

"Muslims are calling for the executions of homosexuals in America," Dean said in a story posted by the Minnesota Independent. "This just shows you they themselves are upholding the laws that are even in the Bible of the Judeo-Christian God, but they seem to be more moral than even the American Christians do, because these people are livid about enforcing their laws. They know homosexuality is an abomination."

"Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group," she said. "For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

"My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me. But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become."

Reminds me of the Gandhi quote:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing the article and the quote from Gandhi.

And I agree with both of them. Christ is awesome, but Christians are really mean to anyone who does not believe in their ways. Same with just about every organized religion around. Once a Human becomes the spiritual leader of a particular sect, you loose the whole idea. All of the great leaders from the realm of spiritual mythos had a unique message that has been greatly distorted by those who have come after.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by lasertaglover]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Way to go Anne Rice!!! she saw the arrogance and hypocrisy of modern day christianity I hope she's ready for any backlash because egomainacs like Rev.Dean don't take rejection very well as do the "born again." fantics who will be calling for her head on a platter.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Double post bleh...

[edit on 043131p://1826 by mike dangerously]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Is it just me or does she sound mad that christians wont kill gays and muslims are better because they want to kill gays even in other countries.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Nope. It is just you.

She left that religion because of how anti-gay, and anti-other things she believed it is.

That article the OP posted had a recent update:

Updated: A new page on Facebook has launched, urging Rice to take a look at the United Church of Christ:

On July 30, 2010, famed novelist Anne Rice renounced Christianity because she refuses to be anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-science, anti-birth control. We share Anne's faith in a loving, inclusive, reasonable God. You'd like the UCC!

blogs.citypages.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good job Rice.

Roll with Jesus and wave to the Christians you leave behind! That's my advice.

One day, Christianity will find Jesus as well...and we will forgive them all.

PS- Rice's husband (Stan) was a wonderful poet/painter before he passed away...check him out-

Stan Rice

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Anne Rice This shocking link was provided by a poster below. No wonder people despise us, Christians, and think we are an ignorant and violent lot. I don't blame them. This kind of thing makes me weep. Maybe commitment to Christ means not being a Christian.GOP-linked punk rock ministry says executing gays is ‘moral’ « Minnesota Independent: News. Politic
minnesotaindependent.com
You Can Run But You Cannot Hide, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit ministry that brings its hard rock gospel into public schools, has been deepening its long-running ties to the Republican Party of Minnesota. Long a cause célèbre for Rep. Michele Bachmann, who has twice lent her name to the group’s fundrais...
Tuesday at 10:37am · Comment · Like

This post on her facebook page lets me know what shes protesting and i agree with her.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Organized religion is really organized ignorance where the only value that can come from it is some degree of uniformity that breeds superficial decorum or outward peace. That is the meaning of Islam--or any of our organized religions--in their outward expressions as religions of peace. Sure there will be peace as long as everybody believes in the same thing.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by inforeal]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Good post (star).

Anything that attempts to control our minds, hearts, and souls for our own good should be circumspect. And organized religion and politics are at the top of the list.

Free your mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yay!

Maybe now she will resume the Vampire Chronicles and we will maybe see more of Lestat and Rowan Mayfair!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

I miss all of those characters a lot. She really poured her heart and soul and made those characters come alive and off of the pages.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
SandF
Just goes to show Christ and Christians can be two different things, though occasionally when Christians act like you might think Christ would have wanted them to act, they are a beautiful people.
Thanks for the Ghandi quote.
I am not a vanpire fan.
I am a cooling fan

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I like to believe that any human being, who feeds the poor, helps the sick, serves humanity, and seeks higher truth, whatever their religion, displays beauty whether they be Christian, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, atheist, agnostic, or just a good hearted human.

To me . . . that is indeed beautiful and fills the heart with joy and hope when we see such people.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

"Maybe commitment to Christ means not being a Christian."

Aha, she gets it!

Sort of reminds me of:

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I actually just read this on the huffington post yesterday. Good for her for leaving! I didn't know she stopped writing books because she was all caught up in religion. Hopefully she goes back to writing now and doing what she loves.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Jesus' message was and is one of love and judgment. We're supposed to love and He's supposed to judge. Funny how so many churches get that backwards.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Good to hear that Anne came to her senses. Peace and love among all people - we don't need religion to obtain this - just the opposite IMO. Hope Anne continues with the Vampire Chronicles.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
"In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian." are her exact words. Kind of fails logic tests. If she believes in CHrist then she is a Christian by default. If she doesn't then why would she quit christianity in Christ's name? I would bet all you christian haters out there just love muslims though. Ever heard of the massacres in allah's name? Do some research.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

Looks like Anne Rice forgot one of Jesus's clearest teachings:

"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves." ~ (Matt. 7:15)

I suppose Anne though Jesus was joking when He said that.

top topics

join