It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems Take on Supreme Court's Giant Sell-Out of Our Democracy to Corporations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The Supreme Court handed over our political system to corporate power, and now some lawmakers are fighting to get it back.

Democrats in Congress are fighting to undo, or at least mitigate, the potential damage wrought by the Supreme Court in its Citizens United decision, an example of right-wing judicial activism that has the potential to put the final nail in the coffin of American self-governance and turn over our elections to multinational corporations.

Source: www.alternet.org...

You can sign the petition here: movetoamend.org...

We gotta take the power back!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;"

"make no law" is pretty clear to me.

Judicial activism would therefore be allowing a law that abridges freedom of speech.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Allowing super rich corporations to feed billions to a candidate is not freedom of speech, it's control by the rich.

Watch what politicians fight this rep or dems and you have a list of who is corporate controled.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

So the freedom of speech of corporations are more important than yours?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Allowing super rich corporations to feed billions to a candidate is not freedom of speech, it's control by the rich.

Watch what politicians fight this rep or dems and you have a list of who is corporate controled.

hmmm so what about super rich political parties or individuals?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that it really bothers me when I see these things written from the left or right. Anybody with a brain can see that the whole left right paradigm really is just a show. It is not just democrats or republicans that are in bed with corporatist fascists. It's all of them for the most part.

This isn't right vs left. It's ALL Americans citizens vs elitist scum that have hijacked our country.

Everybody else who still is knee deep in partisan politics needs to wake up!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What bothers me is the fact that corporations are considers "persons". Can a corporation have an opinion? No. Can a corporation go to jail? No.

Only people inside it or controlling it have opinions, and have it voiced through them. It makes the insiders less liable.

In Canada we have that thing called election laws that prohibit corporations to make political donations, plus every party receive a small amount of money per vote to finance themselves. That system is not perfect but it is WAY better (my opinion) than savage capitalism going on in the US.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gagol

The American political machine protects its own.

The democrats aren't mad about private organizations engaging in political activism, they are mad that those private organizations aren't under their direct control.

The purpose is to limit speech during elections only to official party campaign ads.

Private organizations don't have to play inside the confined left-right paradigm of the parties, thus they are a threat.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
For those too lazy to actually read the article :

“They wanted to hear the possibility that that’s the way the constitution would read to them,” said Grayson. “So they picked an issue out of the air that nobody had conceived of [as a First Amendment case] because 100 years of settled law meant that corporations cannot buy elections in America, and they not only allowed corporations to buy those elections, but they made it a constitutional right.” He called the decision “a tragedy for us all,” as “corporations now have rights that human beings can never have.

top topics

join