It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{1HR Video} WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange: "Transparent Government Tends to Produce Just Governm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Please click the link as there is a one hour or so video with Assange.

We spend the hour with Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, talking about the biggest leak in US history.

As the Pentagon announces it is launching a criminal probe into who leaked the documents, Assange asks what about investigating the "war crimes" revealed in the leaked military records?

He also talks about the media, why he isn’t coming to the US anytime soon, and what gives him hope. "What keeps us going is our sources. These are the people, presumably, who are inside these organizations, who want change," Assange says. "They are both heroic figures taking much greater risks than I ever do, and they are pushing and showing that they want change in, in fact, an extremely effective way."

www.democracynow.org...

www.democracynow.org...

The link includes the transcript
They keep saying the docs don't show anything we didn't already know
So what about the undeclared civilian casualties?
Where's the investigation, or were these orders being carried out?

Mods, how come when I put a link with the (ex) tags the link doesn't show up as of recently?

[edit on 28-7-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Assange asks what about investigating the "war crimes" revealed in the leaked military records?

So do I.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Can't disagree with the premise...it is that transparent government tends to produce just government.

However, most of us know that it is the other government or shadow government or whatever name you want to assign to it that actually calls the shots. Maybe he figures that by exposing more of what the "real" government (the one we do "see") is doing we can track it back to the other. I kinda think not, but it's worth a try.

The question also still remains...which faction of the "government" released this stuff. And why exactly. Not the obvious whys either.

Investigating "war crimes" will lead us to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld. Maybe some generals. But don't forget, these people are put in place for exactly the reason of shielding the real masters, so even if they were convicted, it does not necessarily lead us to the masters. We can only deduce for the most part and extrapolate from there. We've already done that here for the most part. It would be nice to have validation though.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The response is so funny -

"There is nothing released that is news to anybody."
"It was totally irresponsible to release this information!"

Ummm .. hello? If its all such common knowledge, then why the backlash? Its BS - of course theu havent been telling everyone on the MSM about how many civilians are routinely killed - and most people assume the number is zero.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

And more to be killed soon...because of this. Afghanistan is angry. Very angry. So's Pakistan. Wait until the Iraq ones hit.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Please click the link as there is a one hour or so video with Assange.

As the Pentagon announces it is launching a criminal probe into who leaked the documents, Assange asks what about investigating the "war crimes" revealed in the leaked military records?

The PTB crack me up! Funny guys they are!

Perhaps they will set a new legal precedent here. The right for criminals to incarcerate all their witnesses!

IRM

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Perhaps they will set a new legal precedent here. The right for criminals to incarcerate all their witnesses!

Yes, he made an interesting point in the video
The guy who got arrested for leaking the Baghdad video is incarcerated in Kuwait.

Assange said he was concerned as to why he couldn't just be jailed in the U.S., why on foreign soil? Is it to make it harder for him to have any legal representation?

They are using this as a scare tactic I guess for future whistleblowers.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

The PTB crack me up! Funny guys they are!

IRM

I like your response--it neatly sums up how the government routinely reacts to criticism it seems.

top topics

join