It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa: Spacequakes Rumble Near Earth!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Beware the spacequake! Rumbles without sound, Auroras rain down and Magnetic fields shake! It seems the description of a new futuristic space weapon but it's only the effects of our Sun' storms!

Researchers using NASA's fleet of five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a form of space weather that packs the punch of an earthquake and plays a key role in sparking bright Northern Lights. They call it "the spacequake."

Source science.nasa.gov...

By tugging on surface magnetic fields, spacequakes generate currents in the very ground we walk on. Ground current surges can have profound consequences, in extreme cases bringing down power grids over a wide area.

Spacequake like Earthquake!

Take a look to the video in the Nasa article called "A spacequake in action".
Really awesome.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
You and I started the same new thread and at the exact same time... your post is better than mine tho

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
if all the suns are powered by a grater field of energy then maybe some day we will experiance a space quake which my precurse a star supernova far away. Like the energy would flow faster along the electrical lines and the sun might react before we see some sort of event.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Really?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

check the post time

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Right the same time!

However, a star for you my "Time-friend"!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

And one for you as well!

Great minds think alike and sometimes at the same time

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow! Not only do we have to worry about quakes under our feet we now have to worry about them over our heads. Things just get crazier and crazier everyday. This just show that there is so much we don't know about space and the universe.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
A few years ago I read a book called 'Electric Universe; The Theory of Everything' was it's name I think. I believe this would tie right in.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Gregarious]

new topics

top topics

join