It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Republicans be abandoning Neoconservatism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
A possible very soon future Republican civil war could be brewing with two-factions. On one side are the George W. Bush era Neoconservatives who are in favor of military interventionism and government spying on citizens; on the other side are the pre-2001 Republicans who are opposed to military interventionism and government spying on citizens.

We could be seeing a boiling point coming after the November elections and when/if the Republicans take back Congress. Then we will see what happens when the first vote for military spending for Afghanistan appears and they are required to either spend or retreat, that will be the beginning of their war.

If you were to ask the opinion of any intelligent Fiscal Conservative they would tell you that Neo-conservatism has failed terribly and that even if Republicans ran on a Fiscally Conservative agenda that unless they either end the war or raise taxes all they will be doing is continue to enlarge the deficit and anger the citizens over austerity measures while funding an unpopular war.

Which has led me to believe that the Republicans will be left with no other choice but to hand over their leadership to the anti-war Republicans or face a 2012 landslide loss for being hypocrites... again.

This will also force the Democratic Party to reevaluate their foreign policy stances or face backlash from their Liberal-wing which is growing larger and more influential every year.

So what do you think?

politics.usnews.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Where have you been? Of course this is happening. This is the route Mr. Bush had us going down the last 4 years of his term and if you listened to Mr. mcCain, certainly where he wants to take us. Obama is only doing what the Republicans want to do...just faster.

I trust neither and this is why we are seeing the emergence of the Tea Party Movement. Although still in it's formulative stages...and it may be in an amorphus state for a while, the Tea Partiers are regular Americans that sense something is not right... and have no where else to go.

As the US Governement continues in decline and the 2 party system tries to maintain its domination...we will see the continued emergence of the "average Joe" party...or parties...infact, we will probably see some strange bedfellows... politically speaking.

I still fear either politically, and even culturally, and regionally..the Balkanization of the US. A loose confederation of regional and political states divided by old habits and ideologies:

A Texas Republic...a revised Southern Confederacy...maybe a Western Ranchers and Farmers Union of say Idaho/Montana/Wyoming/Colorado...maybe a Mormon Republic of Utah...an old revised New England?...an independent California?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
In 1864 people were thinking the exact same thing. The war was very unpopular in the midwest and northwest states. There were 2 factions in the republican party split on the war, abolition and reconstruction.
In the end they closed ranks to keep the democrats from gaining power.
Lincoln was elected to a second term and we all know how that worked out.

You make a good point and I am hoping that what you saying will come to pass. Logic is unfortunately not a big factor in politics so don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Even if you get rid of the neocons, all the bleeding heart libs will still find something to gripe and complain about.
Why?
..because some folks are happiest when they are miserable.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Oh they want to in the worst way. I have been hearing the voice since way before Obama was elected. "Bush wasn't a republican!", "Bush wasn't a conservative"!

Oh yes he was and every other republican was behind him all the way 100% He even drug democrats with him on the way since if they didn't vote for his lies they "weren't supporting the troops", and "questioning the President during a time of war".

Yes they wish they could distance themselves from Bush and Cheney's neocons but I don't think everyone has just forgotten. The repercussions of what they did to the US economy are still sounding strong.

new topics

top topics

join