It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me find the perfect fiction book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Every time I purchases books there about history or educational. I have gotten tired reading about politics and war. There's a burring taste on my tongue looking for a book that is fictional. I just don't know where to look! Can someone recommend me a good title in fiction. Anything that has to do with action, adventure, mysterious place. just something awesome! I would like to read a book with great character identity.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

One of my Fav fiction books would have to be Spares by Michael Marshall Smith.

Great story, extremely engrossing and varied and a fantastic main character.

Here is the book on Amazon (uk)

www.amazon.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchel
Life of Pi - Yann Marte
Any Human Heart - William Boyd

Good thread, need a bit of summer reading after not reading much this year.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
"The Ring World"
"The Ring World Engineers"

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The Time Ships: By, Stephen Baxter is the sequel if you will to H.G. Wells the time machine, and literally has EVERYTHING in it. I found it one of the best books n science fiction.
Another entertaining one is Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Charles Sheffield.

If you like thrillers and action, try Dean Koontz's, The Taking, Or The Bad place.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
There's a thread devoted to this book, I don't think I saw you on it so I'll assume you haven't read it. "The Stand" by Stephen King sounds like just what you want. Action, adventure, mysterious places. It's long, but it's worth it and if you get into it the pages will just fly by.

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman is great as well and is even heavier on the mysterious places aspect.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'm going for The Pliocene Saga by Julian May

it's fun it's scary it's crazy and it all makes sense

it's the history of the Earth past present and future for 6 million

years it has conspiracies time travel Aliens and the Best assortment of characters and great dialoge

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Help me find the perfect fiction book?

the experienced adult in me says: "write it".

the innocent child in me says: "all books are based in part in fiction."

the religious zealot in me says: "any holy book will do."

the realistic based me says:

try Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol".

if you are a conspiracy loving person, and like the things you mentioned, you may enjoy it. i thought it was a remarkable read, and i really enjoyed reading it. wow is an understatement. full of twists and turns and mixed with a boatload of interesting facts.

i think you may enjoy it.

pleasentries,
et

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I second Stephen King's The Stand. I also really enjoyed Jeff Long's The Descent and everyone should read Chuck Palahniuk's Fightclub.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco, is a classic work in historical fiction. Hard to beat, actually. Here is a link to more details on that novel on the Librarything website:

www.librarything.com...

And here is the Librarything entry on another historical fiction work, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, by David Mitchell:

www.librarything.com...

A science fiction classic work that reads like historical fiction is Larry Niven's A World out of Time. Here is the Amazon description:

www.amazon.com...

[edit on 8/7/2010 by Uphill]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Isabelle Allende, The House of the Spirits. A post colonial Latin American family saga with politics, magic and love thrown in for good measure.

Bram Stoker, Dracula. Mysterious places, Whitby, Yorkshire! A good read, much bastardized by the film industry. Coppola's offering most resembles the book.

Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure. Not if you're feeling depressed though; it is all too easy to identify with Jude! Hardy understood the nature of the slave/trap system and poor Jude never quite transcends his life's constraints. But he does leave a small legacy.

Douglas Coupland, All Families are Psychotic. If you like your humour dark, give this one a whirl.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I would recommend Salman Rushdie's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", and "Shalamar the Clown."

If you want 3 books in one and a serious mind frak I'd say "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's one of my all time favorites.

Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" is also very good.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I've just bought this book, based on your recomendation, better be good

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

LOL..... Ohhhhh man.... the pressure.

I hope you'll love it mate, I thought it was great.
If you like Sci-Fi and scarily realistic Sci-Fi, you should like it....

Lemme know how you get on with it my friend

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I personally liked The Once and Future King by T.H White, based on Le Morte D'Arthur by Malory.

Some other good authors you might wanna look into would be Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This thread has made me realize that I haven't bought a fiction book in ages, as I skip through the book shelfs all I find is reference books on the history of advertising / photography and php code

I can back up peoples recommendations for "the stand" though it's the only Stephen King book I have re read as soon as I finished it. Another one of his that I liked was "Insomnia". I also enjoyed "From a Buick 8"

I am a bit of a sci-fi fantasy fan though so my personal recommendation would be the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy books and maybe the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Based purely on your opening post, I would say the PERFECT book for you right now is the Illuminatus! Trilogy. If you get through that you will not regret it!

And I see that SaulGoodman has recommended a book for you, I'm suprised he didn't recommend this!

*First ever BTS post, feels strange....*

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A Walk On The Wild Side and Never Come Morning by Nelson Algren
Tales of Ordinary Madness by Charles Bukowski
Half-Life by Shelley Jackson
Nightwood by Djuna Barnes
In Watermelon Sugar and Trout Fishing In America by Richard Brautigan
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Other Electricities by Ander Monson
Remainder by Tom McCarthy
Labrynths by Jorge Louis Borges