It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC closes in on massive particle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

LHC closes in on massive particle

Physicists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have seen several candidates for the heaviest elementary particle known to science. If the observations are confirmed, it would be a first for Europe; so far, the top quark particle has only been generated by one lab in the US. Dr Arnaud Lucotte said the discovery could assist physicists in the hunt for the elusive Higgs boson, or "God particle".

Source

Looks like the LHC is starting to produce some results. Is it just me or does it feel like science and technology are really starting to advance at accelerated paces. I mean I know it usually works that way, but lately it just feels like we have had major announcement after major announcement.

We have the new info from the Keplar observatory about Earth like size planets abundant in the universe. We have the unknown signal detected from the core of our galaxy. The discovery from South Africa that made news about a 200k year old civilization being located there. All of the talk about Extraterrestrials from the UN, UK and other major world governments..

Couple this with the discovery of "buckyballs" in cosmic dust (discovered on Earth 25 years ago). BuckyBalls

These are definitely exciting times..

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Xcathdra]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
The discovery from South Africa that made news about a 200k year old civilization being located there.

I would take this one with a grain of salt.

The perpetrator of this has a history of snookery.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by susp3kt

The discovery from South Africa that made news about a 200k year old civilization being located there.

I would take this one with a grain of salt.

The perpetrator of this has a history of snookery.

Fair point.. I just wish scientists would be a bit more open minded when it comes to the established timeline of History. There is a temple that was found in Eastern Europe somewhere (Ill try to find the article) that is dated to 10,000 +/- BC.

There just seems to be overwhelming evidence that our knowledge of the past is wrong.

At least other scientists are trying to advance technology into areas that were thought impossible a few years ago. Who knows, maybe a discovery in the future will help reveal the past.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
carbon dating is so imprecise its hard to believe some of this date.
science is making leaps and bounds but why have we not found a better fuel source (big oil?).
I'm very exited to see what come out in the next five years now that the Acron 7 chip is almost done.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
What a remarkably dysfunctional thread. Starts with LHC (with sketchy details at best) and then veers into African civilization and ET crap.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I have been really interested in the LHC ever since I saw a program on National Geographic about it. I just hope nothing bad happens while they try to re-create the big bang and the "God Particle".

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
What a remarkably dysfunctional thread. Starts with LHC (with sketchy details at best) and then veers into African civilization and ET crap.

Who said anything about ETs?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
He / She is refering to the orgional post when I made some comments about all the info coming out lately covering a multitude of scientific areas, including the LHC, buckyballs, the find in South Africa as well as the results of the Keplar observatory.

Dysfunctional.. Your opinion, so thats fine. Skecthy information? You can take that up with the author of the origional article.

My point behind those posts was to tie together the advances being made in the theoretical areas, which have now crossed from theoretical to based in fact.

The LHC is being used for more than just trying to find the God particle. Some theoretical drive systems are going to be tested as well using part of the LHC. The results of these tests can revolutionize the way we see the universe, and quite possibly allow us to explore it in person.

At the very least, you could of offered something of substance to your post, instead of just a snide comment.

Uses for the Large Haldron Collider - Purpose of LHC - Wikipedia
Yahoo Answers - LHC
Large Hadron Collider - Chicago Tribune articles

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Dysfunctional.. Your opinion, so thats fine. Skecthy information? You can take that up with the author of the origional article.

I just don't see the point of quoting of any article, if you don't create a digest of what you think is the most salient bit of information in that article.

My point behind those posts was to tie together the advances being made in the theoretical areas, which have now crossed from theoretical to based in fact.

What advances? What does a successful calibration of the LHC detectors to top quark have to do with alleged ancient civilization in Africa and or alleged "signal from the center of galaxy"?

The LHC is being used for more than just trying to find the God particle.

The LHC is not being used to find any kind of "God Particle". I just hate that stupid term, to be honest. Maybe they'll find the Higgs boson (which has absolutely nothing to do with God), or maybe not.

Some theoretical drive systems are going to be tested as well using part of the LHC.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? I work for a project at the LHC and that sounds like utter bull to me.

join