It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Mixed Martial Arts Fans Here?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I know what you mean about Mirko coming to the UFC....it could have been a legendary run yet we got stuck with a legendary dud, I mean seriously

I'm glad Shogun at least redeemed himself with holding the title and pwning forrest in the rematch

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Arona is now chilling with carmen sandiego and waldo.....he was right about it suiting his style big time, with no yellow cards to worry about and a cage to back people into he would have been devastating. Who knows though maybe he'll pop out of the wood work at some point, would make for many interesting match ups.

Speaking of yellow cards they really need to think about bringing that to the UFC in some fashion.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by baalbuster

Hey baalbuster, thanks for chiming in man. Arona was/is a bad mofo for sure, and yea, I would like to see him in a cage set up. I'd love to see him and Phalares go at it. The dude had a scary intensity!
So top 5 alltime fav's huh? I would go with:
1) Rickson Gracie
2) Fedor Emelienko
3) Anderson Silva
4) BJ Penn
5) Bas Rutten
Honorable mention N. Diaz, Dan Henderson,Rampage and Miguel Torres.

I am glad ufc brought on the lighter weight divisions, there have been some great battles!
Yellow cards in ufc? hell yea!

spec

edit on 23-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by baalbuster

Arona is now chilling with carmen sandiego and waldo.....he was right about it suiting his style big time, with no yellow cards to worry about and a cage to back people into he would have been devastating. Who knows though maybe he'll pop out of the wood work at some point, would make for many interesting match ups.

Speaking of yellow cards they really need to think about bringing that to the UFC in some fashion.

Ricardo Arona

He wanted to fight with UFC when. Went to Rio so I wonder why that never happened, he even said he didn't have a contract and would be willing to sign one.

As for yellow cards, hell yeah. I also think the scoring system should work more like Pride's as well based n the entire fight.

I also think that there should be knees to a downed opponent, as well as head stomps and soccer kicks, and get rid of the elbows that just cut people. But, that will never happen.
We would rather have people turtle up and get punched in the back of the head.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I agree with everything but those soccer kicks man, those can kill someone! And don't take away the elbow, I think it is a viable weapon. I miss Florian's masterful use of it, and Jones makes good use of it. It is still a good tool for ground and pound too.
I agree with what you said about Chael's shortcomings, but I still like him in the mix o things. And of course I will enjoy him taking a beating
, and I think Silva is the one to do it. I'd like to see him and Vitor go at it too.
edit on 23-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I think Vitor would lose to Sonnen, I don't know why, I just think he was overpowered by Rumble and I think Sonnen could beat him. I just think Chael is too much of a beast and Vitor is not elusive like Anderson is.

I would like to see Dan Henderson against Sonnen. I think Dan would literally kill him.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Vitor certainly doesn't have Silva's elusiveness, but I think he has the KO power in his hands. But I too could see Chael overpowering him and gnp him. Vitor looked good last week, and quicker than I have seen him in a long time. But you know Chael would not try and fist fight Vitor.
Hendo/Sonnen would be epic, and I am really impressed with Dan's tenacity and brute badassness. His greco skills, bomb right hand, strong chin and wealth of experience make him a formidable opponent anytime. We could very well see that fight.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Seems the first fight between silva and chael left a lot of things being said and lots of things undone. I for one want to see a rematch just to see what happens, but I think silva will handle chael if there is a rematch. In the first fight silva looked really unsure and frustrated, but still came out on top. If he is focused and on point I just don't see chael being able to do much but try to grind him for a decision win...And if that happens it's going to be one boring fight, but silva should be used to chael by now and know his game, I really don't think he will make the same mistake twice.

As for arona, sure i would like to see him fight in the ufc, but it seems he has been out for so long that it will effect him like it would effect anybody else. I see him putting up some good fights, but blowing trough the competition...no way. I just checked his wiki and it seems last fight he had was in 2009, a win against marvin eastman. Still though he would make the roster more interesting if we ever see him back and in the ufc.

Oh and the rules in the UFC have always been in the back of my mind, I know they are not going to allow soccer kicks to downed opponents or stomps to the face, which does change the game a lot....But one thing they should allow is knees to a downed opponent's head on the ground. One of the reasons being is if you go for it and get a clean shot in it's basically lights out for the opponent or on his way to being ko'd, it can be a game changer.

But the main reason why they should let knees back in, is that it changes the whole ground game and it makes it a bit more hepatic and less boring. It's a risky move were if you go for it you either get it, or you dont and lose positioning because you really have to shift your weight pretty high and far to put any power into it, if you miss or its off even while your trying to go for it you will get turned or swept, pretty much all the wrestlers in the UFC would not use it because of that reason. But the strikers or others would use it, and it would make the ground fighting more exiting with less blanketing going on, I think it would make it more a back and fourth thing instead of the blanketing we see now most fighters do.

I for one would like to see soccer kicks and stomps back in, but ya I sort of agree with there reasons. And you can kill a dude with soccer kicks, and sooner or latter something like that might happen if mma continues down the line and years and years, sooner or latter it can happen. In pride soccer kicks were basically the thing that keept the wrestlers at bay or focused, none of that lazy ass shoot in grab some guys toe and drag him down. Because you either went all out, or you ate a shin to the face trying to come in at the guy.

Oh and the yellow cards are a good idea, I know the fighters aren't going to like it. And I forgot what it was exactly something like 10% deduction from your purse if you got a yellow card...But if there is one sure fire way to get rid of stalemates and circling eachother for ages in a 5 min round, or blanketing on the ground, it was the pride yellow card...It really hit them were it hurts, there pockets. And they took it way more seriously after they saw that yellow card.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

silva should be used to chael by now and know his game, I really don't think he will make the same mistake twice.

Agreed, you know Silva has been working on avoiding and/or getting out of side control. I think his emotion will actually work in his favor possibly. He will be representing himself, the Nogera's and Brazil, all of which Chael has dissed, so he might just amp it up and when he gets in that mode he can be pretty destructive.

But the main reason why they should let knees back in, is that it changes the whole ground game and it makes it a bit more hepatic and less boring. It's a risky move were if you go for it you either get it, or you dont and lose positioning because you really have to shift your weight pretty high and far to put any power into it, if you miss or its off even while your trying to go for it you will get turned or swept, pretty much all the wrestlers in the UFC would not use it because of that reason. But the strikers or others would use it, and it would make the ground fighting more exiting with less blanketing going on, I think it would make it more a back and fourth thing instead of the blanketing we see now most fighters do.

Well said man, it would be a game changer. I wonder if more serious injuries would occur as a result, because a single blow could/would be lights out, but what if the ref can't/doesn't stop it in time and 2 or 3 full shots are delivered? It could be too risky for serious damage in the eyes of organizations.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

A little piece from Bisbing about Chael. So Chael has only one testicle, or is that a joke? That makes sense about testosterone supplement I would guess. This could be an interesting fight, not in intensity so much as just strategy applications. Bisbing is quick and athletic, but I don't know if he can get out of side control once Chael gets on top.
Not a fan of Bisbing, but I am getting more excited about the fight. It should be a good wknd for some good fights.

spec

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Someone posted this in a forum today, Dan Henderson vs Palhares

Palhres trained with Arona too.
www.mmashareforum.com...

Look at the calves on that dude

Damn, ya think any ligaments popped in that heel hook, wow! I like that Palhares move, shoot followed by a knee. Damn did u see Dan slip and hit his head on the matt? That would of knocked a regular dude out me thinks.

You know an amazing thing about Hendo is not only the bricks he can throw, but the fact that he can launch them from the side of his head. He consistently keeps his hand up for guard which usually compromises some power, but not in his case.
edit on 24-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hey hey fight fans, looking forward to tonight's action, and thought we could make our predictions for some of the fights.
Weidman vs Maia - Both have excellent ground skills and Weidman is undefeated thus far. I think Maia still has an advantage on the ground cuz he is masterful at BJJ, but Weidman has an advantage in striking, imo, but he is no slouch on the ground either.
I will say Weidman wins with tko in the second.

Sonnen vs Bisbing- Well before I saw this vid, I would have said Chael wins in a dominant fashion against Bisbing by side control and gnp, but now I think Chael may want to exchange strikes as an effort to show off his new boxing skills. He looks pretty crisp in the vid and in the best shape I can recall seeing him in. He may try to box and then take it to his bread and butter on the ground.
I say Sonnen wins in the 2nd round via submission.
In this vid, you canskip forward to check out Cheal's boxing a bit, and I think he has improved in this area a lot.

Man I wish I could have heard what Cheal told Bisbing at the weigh-ins as Bisbing shoved his forehead into Chael. Anyone read lips?

Evans vs Davis - Both these guys have excellent wrestling and take down, but I think Rashads experience and quickness may be a problem for Davis. Rashad has good strikes too.
I will say Rashad wins by KO in the second round.

Looking forward to Charles Oliveira fight as well as Even Dunham too.

spec

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
What do you guys think of Sonnen's constant dissing of Mike Tyson? I almost think there may be another MMA vs Boxer arrangement in the works. I think a Tyson/Sonnen fight would be a big moneymaker, and I know Tyson has to be irritated from Chael's comments. I realize Mike has mellowed in his years, but still, I think he might jump at an opportunity to get a little limelight. We know he and Dana are friends so who knows, right?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Sorry about missing the fight predictions, but it was a good night of fights, other than the main card.

Weidman had an excuse to gas, he wasn't expecting a fight this quick and probably wasn't in peak condition, but what was Maia's issue? If the fights never changed, Bisping would have killed Maia.

As for Bisping and Sonnen, if that Sonnen shows up to fight Anderson, Anderson will dominate. Bisping looked fairly good, scrambling back up and attempting some takedowns of his own, although Sonnen won, it wasn't in decisive fashion IMO. I could have seen the decision going either way, with the only 'for sure' round being the third for Sonnen.

As far the main event, I thought Mr. Wonderful might be out of his league, but wasn't expecting such a dominate win from Rashad. Great fight from him and I am looking forward to Jones vs Suga. I also think Phil will be back and think the loss will help his career.

Can't wait for next week though...
Diaz Vs. Condit.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

if that Sonnen shows up to fight Anderson, Anderson will dominate.

Those re the exact words that came to my mind too Pred. He was not so dominant as he was in his last 2 fights. I guess I gave him too much credit for his new boxing skills, they only work on shadows and pads!

Ya know, I think if Bisbing had another minute in that last round, he might have finished that last bit of gnp with the elbows.
Yes, Rashad just outworked Davis, but I am glad he will be the one facing Jones. Maia looked gassed and I was surprised he tried to stand so much. Those 2 guys did not even look ufc worthy, imo.
Looking forward to the Diaz Condit fight for sure, then after that the next 3 cards are kinda lack luster. But we will still see some great fights throughout the year.

spec

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yeah gotta give Bisping credit he did much better then I expected making it a close fight. Sonnen said Bisping hurt him bad in the first round but did not know it or would have capitalized on on it. So I wonder if that is why he did not look 100% the rest of the fight. Still fight metric showed Sonnen won landed more strikes and got the takedowns etc. I don't know what was up with Rogan saying Bisping was winning by pushing Sonnen on the fence not doing anything Rogan is usually spot on but that was just silly.

blog.fightmetric.com...

Yeah Mia looked like absolute crap improved striking my ass, hats off to Weidman. Rashad did better then I expected. Davis was kind of tentative.

Yeah Sonnen needs to step it up for Anderson however Anderson does not get up like Bisping does if he gets put on his back, but he may learn from Bispings this is the key to minimizing Sonnens game. However he is not as good at getting up as Bisping and even if he makes that part of his strategy against Sonnen he won't be as good at it cause it has never been a serious part of his game all these years. So we'll see.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You may be right about Silva not preparing for Chaels style. I used to think he was making it his priority to prepare for that but it seems he may have thought he wouldn't be fighting him again. Surely now he will train specifically for Sonnens style. For the average fighter, starting now may be too late but I think Anderson is the exception and will be thoroughly prepared this time. Plus you know Segal's gonna show him the secret on how to beat Chael!

Either way, it will be a huge fight and I look forward to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by hawkiye

You may be right about Silva not preparing for Chaels style. I used to think he was making it his priority to prepare for that but it seems he may have thought he wouldn't be fighting him again. Surely now he will train specifically for Sonnens style. For the average fighter, starting now may be too late but I think Anderson is the exception and will be thoroughly prepared this time. Plus you know Segal's gonna show him the secret on how to beat Chael!

Either way, it will be a huge fight and I look forward to it.

Yeah maybe so I am sure Anderson will be well prepared this time around. However Anderson is very prideful and his ground game is based on BJJ where being on your back is not discouraged so I have my doubts he will train to get up like Bisping did. He may just feel he will submit him again which is Sonnens weakness. However it could be a very long night for him again if he does that. We shall see, looking forward to the fight.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Dammit missed some interesting fight its seems.

Will watch them later when I find them. But now that chael will fight silva again we can finally put this whole thing to rest it seems. But even with the style makes fights and the fact that chaels style is one of silva's weakness I still think silva will take this rematch, and possibly in devastating style.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Will watch them later when I find them

You can check em here man www.fightvideomma.com...

Not the best res, but not too bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join