It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

404 errors on the site

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i agree with that . The oves threads like delete this thread lol should be deleted .
as some of us posters know when we get in over our head and want to help you mods .
heck there has been a time or two when I im a mod to ask them to do just that.
but as you say the threads that dont fall there like the one your talking about should be just locked so we can see what went wrong and learn what not to do lol .
seams to me this is what most of us good posters want . We want a great place like ATS to talk about this stuff we want a good format ( rules) in place to keep down the riffraff . and we want to know what it was taht we messed up on when our post is deleted or others that seam ok are so we can see what the problem was and not repeat it

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
btw why did you remove a thread titled conspiracy surrounding me? on 7/21?

Because the thread author made a mistake, edited his opening post to contain this:

this dont really need to be in here, wanted to delete it but dont know how to, so edited it out, will try to delete, soz ats

Then asked us to remove it.

Threads are never removed without a good reason.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Because the thread author made a mistake, edited his opening post to contain this:

this dont really need to be in here, wanted to delete it but dont know how to, so edited it out, will try to delete, soz ats

I don't question your integrity here.
But you have to keep in mind the audience of this website. Deleting threads, and having it happen often enough for the membership to complain, is going to have a negative effect. It will drive the rumor mill. Of course, that may drive "hits"...but it would be shortlived. Regardless, it just feeds the "ATS is a CIA front" threads.

But, like i said, often it comes that I intend to cull info from a thread only to find it deleted. That information is made dead, so that i can no longer access it. This is what drives me absolutely mad. I count on it to be there, and its not. Perhaps i should lower my expectations...but before i do would rather ask if we could review how/when threads are deleted vs locked.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

i figured it was something along those lines, but i couldnt be sure cause i didnt actualy get to open it and read it before it was gone and ironicaly enough its title was perfect for arrousing such suspicions, btw the thread i was refering to in which even the subsequent questioning of its removal thread was also taken down was not that one, i cant actualy remember what it was titled, so nevermind that one.

thank you for taking the time to answer my question, though it may have seemed like a waste of time it puts my mind at ease and if anyone else noticed it too then it will also put their mind at ease,

i believe you, however i cant just go by that assumption all the time or else im not doing a very good job being a conspiracy theorist. its my nature to question even when i know the answer, my parents would tell you that too.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The only time whole threads get put in the trash bin (they aren't deleted) is when they REALLY violate our TAC or, the author requests it and has a compelling enough reason for us to do it.

If a thread turns into a flame fest that would take several hours to clean up it's going to get trashed. We have a volunteer staff, they don't have the luxury of spending hours upon hours removing hundreds of posts that shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

If you truly want to avoid threads you are interested in getting trashed, alert the staff at the earliest possible moment the slagging starts, we can usually save them that way.

Believe me when I say it, we HATE removing threads from public view. There is nothing worse that I can think of, especially since it's usually a handful of malcontents that cause it to happen, in most cases, and ruin it for everyone.

Springer...

[edit on 7-25-2010 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Some threads are closed with a reason or moved and closed with a reason. Others are simply deleted.

And while it may not be the case, it actually does seem to me too that there have been a lot more plain old deleted with no reason lately. One case in point was anything referring a few weeks ago to Operation Deep Sleep in the title or OP.

And when that happens and there's no reason given, people are just going to wonder...especially ATS people.

(While we're at it, at the same time this appears to be going on, there also seems to be a lot more slack being cut to allowing duplicate threads to continue. This makes me personally even more crazy when I think I posted in a thread and go back to check for any replies and then can't even find my post.)

[Edit: Dangit, Didn't see Springer's post come in while I was writing. I guess there have just been more severe violations lately.]

[edit on 7/25/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

IMO, all you need to do is read the T&C.

I mean, it's not complicated, hell they even trimmed it down last year because people were too lazy to read the whole thing.

B.S.

Interpretation of the rules is anything but straightforward. That is where the explanations would help. Perhaps in your mind it is an OK for mods to continue to have to close thread after thread forever. I was thinking their load would be lightened in the end with a bit more 'splainin along the way, that's all.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I don't really see anyting to "interpret" differently about the T&C.

It's black/white. A list of " Do not's".

Pretty simply to follow, if it's not listed in the T&C then it's not against the rules, therefore thread stays open.

Other way around however, and thread gets closed..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

But in a city of millions ( like ats the anonymity of the crowd gives the trouble makers a place to hid in plane site.
and my word use isn't any better then my spelling .

nonsense! - you get your points across just fine
I rather like the way you put things and say what needs to be said.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It's black/white. A list of " Do not's".

Your's may be a black and white world. Mine is anything but. *

But such is life.

* There's some irony in my avatar then,

[edit on 7/25/2010 by wayno]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Sure the big threads, Doc Velocity's thread, that was a GOOD thread to keep open/locked so that other members could see what happened and WHAT happens when members behave that way etc..

I would have loved to see how that thread would have played out. It's a shame that it got 404'd in my opinion. It had me on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of explanation.

As far as it being a tool to educate members on how not to let there threads progress I'm not too sure about. I've seen other threads that remained open and were far more outside the Terms and Conditions. Who knows? That's not for me to figure out I guess.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ahh thank you...Its the "searching for" or "calling out" of these people thats bad.. I can understand that....

I guess the problem is even if the OP doesn't do that, it still will degenerate into a witch hunt....

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Sure the big threads, Doc Velocity's thread, that was a GOOD thread to keep open/locked so that other members could see what happened and WHAT happens when members behave that way etc..

I would have loved to see how that thread would have played out. It's a shame that it got 404'd in my opinion. It had me on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of explanation.

As far as it being a tool to educate members on how not to let there threads progress I'm not too sure about. I've seen other threads that remained open and were far more outside the Terms and Conditions. Who knows? That's not for me to figure out I guess.

Me too. It is unfortunate that he has no apparent way to try to explain what happened. His reputation is in my eyes, always going to be suspect.

The connection of him and the ADL is a thread worthy of its own. However, i feel that it would be deleted as it pertains to a member.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster

Not sure what was deleted here...but it might be viewed as a lack of respect for a member to have a post deleted for topic maintenance in his own thread. A T and C violation, etc, maybe. But being off topic, when he invented the topic to begin with? LOL...doesn't that sound absurd?

Just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
**** ATTENTION ****

We're trying to listen to what all has to say, however any further off topic posts,
you will be directed to the ATS issues thread or the complaint feature and this thread closed.

Please do not respond to staff actions in this thread, use the complaint feature so that the entire
staff may review.

Thank You.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
First off, I love this site and hope the following question is in keeping with the 404 topic.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

The only people who really need to know is the OP itself, any "major" event, such as the Doc Velocity thread from a few days back ALWAYS gets explained to the general ATS members at some point or another if it's required.

I was so looking forward to reading more in that thread by Doc when I got home from work and got the 404 error message. I believe it was leading to some great discussions and the topic didn't seem to violate the T&C as stated here:

Originally posted by Springer

The only time whole threads get put in the trash bin (they aren't deleted) is when they REALLY violate our TAC or, the author requests it and has a compelling enough reason for us to do it.

If a thread turns into a flame fest that would take several hours to clean up it's going to get trashed. We have a volunteer staff, they don't have the luxury of spending hours upon hours removing hundreds of posts that shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

I was disappointed that the entire thread had to be deleted rather than whatever offensive post or whatnot was included in it. I did also try to follow proper protocol and filed a "complaint" as it is termed asking why the whole thread was gone. I haven't heard anything back. I know the mods are busy and there are many more involved posters than myself who would rate a higher priority.

Originally posted by elevatedone
**** ATTENTION ****

We're trying to listen to what all has to say, however any further off topic posts,
you will be directed to the ATS issues thread or the complaint feature and this thread closed.

Please do not respond to staff actions in this thread, use the complaint feature so that the entire
staff may review.

Thank You.

I was just bummed by the whole experience...or the lack of the reading experience I hoped to have. I hope that reconsideration might be given in the future to deleting a post that might violate rather than a whole thread...not knowing what it contained though...maybe a flame fest did erupt there and I could understanding not being able to take the time to clean all that up.

I hope this question on Doc's thread going to the 404 bin is in keeping with the topic enough. If not, i apologize in advance to all on this thread. I seriously don't mean to cause a thread closure here and don't need a response if it has gotten that touchy. Just delete my post and I will let it go and move onto reading other threads. I truly appreciate all the mods do here. Thank you. Peace.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Can someone tell me why i'm getting a 404 error when trying to read the thread titled "Wow, this is what the Mayan's think about 2012"?

I managed to post a reply to it earlier, now its been 404'd?

Jamie

[edit on 28/8/10 by jrmcleod]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join