It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ignore Function - Why Only 10?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I was looking through a thread and a guy claimed to have proven the subject was wrong and stupid yet all he said was it was wrong and stupid. Just a opinion with nothing to back it up.

I'd like to put this guy on ignore. I can't though, as I've used up my limit of ten. I don't want to go on a tear and throw hundreds of people on ignore. I really never wanted to do it in the first place but over the years I have felt it necessary to do.

Some people just don't play well and I'd rather not read stuff that is totally off topic and useless.

So, am I tripping? Is ten too low? Too high? Should I just shut up, forget about it and go about my day?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, personally I don't see the reason to ignore anyone at all really, I mean everyone on this site at the very least has the potential to post something that's enlightening and or interesting and ignoring them could mean you miss that vital piece of information.

That’s just my opinion on ignoring other membes ofc. and I'm not having a go at you for using that particular feature or anything so if you wish to ignore people and you have in fact reached your limit then surely there is someone you could tolerate a little more than the other?

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I assume the magic number 10 is because of the straing such a practice takes on the board.

Think about it, the board has to reconfigure itself and basically delete all the people's posts that you are ignoring.

For a member like myself who has almost 7 thousand posts, that's a lot of extra work.

I assume if all members even just have the 10 ignores that would put a lot of strain on the various devices used to keep this place running.

Ohh and nobody likes a crybaby anyway
. No need to ignore folks!

Just kidding..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
ignoring someone for their opinions is in my opinion no different then blind faith, join religion if thats how you want to live life.

i only use ignore for spammers and they always get booted so i have no need to place anyone on ignore.

besides if you ignore someone just cause you dont like them then youll be unable to comprehend the retorts that other people make to them as you will only see the one side of the conversation.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

In short, yes your trippin
, I really can't see any reason to use it. In fact, not sure why the site even allows it, but hey I'm nobody.

Besides, in some cases, you might be doing exactly what they want you to do. By ignoring them, now you can not oppose their point of view.

IMHO anyways.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I have never used the Ignore button and don't really intend to. If I don't like what someone says on one thread I don't think it would mean they couldn't give some valuable information on another.

top topics

join