It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is name of Jewish God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Please help me with an answer to a very simple question. I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

What is the name of the Jewish God? Is it Yahweh? In other words, what is the name they use to refer to their God?

I realize this may seem like a foolish question to many of you, and I apologize for that. I want to discuss with someone (my Jewish doctor) and don't want to appear completely ignorant.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yes that is correct.
But some Jews feel it is too scared to pronounce.

Isaiah 42:8

"I am Yahweh. That is my name. I will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to engraved images.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

this post is totally my speculation. cuz i'm not sure.

no one is living long enough to recieve the answer to that question, due to a war in the skies between idiot "adults" about trivial issues for the sake of nothing and no benefits whatsoever.

two sides of the big fight are between:

the first priority should be "home"
the first priority should be "immortality"

neither side is right without both sides being right, but they are either too stupid, ignorant, skeptical, juvinile, senile, debunked, to realize:

home is not home if one is less than immortal because then one is debunked to the point of convincing ones' self that ones' selves do not exist.

immortality will not be accepted without a home first, to the point it creates unconscious autopilot like self destruct sequences and defense mechanisms akin to the ingredients of stupid, ignorant, skeptical, juvinile, senile, debunked.

two last big black wholes holes that bicker endlessly and having as of yet undetermined consequences.

home is not home if i am not immortal, if god wants to be alone god does not know alone, and just because god does not know alone does not make it fact that god is not god. maybe creating everything took something out of god, like knowing what "alone/a lone" is. creation gave god amnesia, on some, or maybe just one issue. if you need to know and witness the thing that could do such a thing, i must defer you to what happened during, before, and possibly after the "big bang".

it's not worth being immortal if immortality's cost is "home". alone sucks.

But like i said at the beginning of this post "this is totally speculation and conjecture", based upon my experiences of what sucks.

now back to our regularly scheduled program,
et

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

There ya go!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I think some of the Zionists consider Benjamin Netanyahu a god.

Or at least a minor diety.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I think some of the Zionists consider Benjamin Netanyahu a god.

Or at least a minor diety.

My intent on asking this was serious. I don't appreciate you treating it with such a comic attitude.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

Exodus 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

There ya go!

Thanks much! I've heard a similar translation, "I am WHO AM".

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Please help me with an answer to a very simple question. I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.

Jews never say the name of God. It would be blasphemous for them.

But in the Torah (Deut. 6:4) the recitation is:

"Listen up, Israel: Hashem is our God, Hashem is one."

So Hashem is the name used for God.

Hope this is helpful.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Deuteronomy 6:4

"Or Yahweh is our God; Yahweh is One, or The LORD is our God, the LORD alone, or The LORD our God is one LORD" footnote in Holman Christian Standard Bible
"4`Hear, O Israel, Jehovah our God [is] one Jehovah;" Young's Literal Translation
"4Hear, Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah;" Darby Translation

I really like using biblegateway.com very usefull...there's more than are 21 english translations/versions available, as well as 40 other language bibles...

I have quoted above the versions that used a name as opposed a title (Lord/God) in that verse, these are english however, not hebrew...I don't speak hebrew, but I am assuming neither do you...so having this conversation you are probably going to use the english version of the Hebrews God's name...(like Juan in spanish is John in english)

Then there is Psalms 83:18...His name is usually found there in most english translations

"18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth." King James Version
"18that men may know that Thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the Most High over all the earth." 21st Century King James Version
"18 That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth. " American Standard Version

and for the fun of it, here's some spanish versions of Psalms 83:18

" 18 Y conozcan que tu nombre es Jehová;
Tú solo Altísimo sobre toda la tierra. " Reina-Valera 1960
"18Y conozcan que tu nombre es JEHOVA; Tú solo Altísimo sobre toda la tierra" Reina-Valera Antigua

Maybe the conversation starter could be..."how do you say Jehovah in Hebrew?"

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ersatz

Hashem..
Wow...I find that very interesting, in english versions/translations, the name Hashen is only used once, and that is in reference to a man, who whose sons were mighty men in Davids army

1 Chronicles 11:26,34 "26 As for the mighty men of the military forces, there were As′a·hel the brother of Jo′ab, El·ha′nan the son of Do′do of Beth′le·hem...34 the sons of HA'SHEM the Gi′zo·nite, Jon′a·than the son of Sha′gee the Har′a·rite"

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
What is name of Jewish God?

sometimes it seems that it depends on what circumstances the jew is in, and what options the jew percieves as being possible.

sometimes it appears that it depends upon the situation the jew is in and what available options are in existance, i think.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
reply to post by Ersatz

Hashem..
Wow...I find that very interesting, in english versions/translations, the name Hashen is only used once, and that is in reference to a man, who whose sons were mighty men in Davids army

One of my flat mates is a Jewish kid.

What Moses recites is the Shma, one of the fundamental commandments of Judaism, which derives from the Torah, he says:

Shma YIS-rah-el, ha-SHEM Elo-KAY-nu, ha-SHEM eh-KHAHD.

"Listen up, Israel: Hashem is our God, Hashem is one."

It is used to avoid saying one of the holy names of God.
It's safe for use in casual conversation, It means "the Name".

All the best.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

In the New International Edition
Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'

Therefore "I AM" is the name of God.

I AM = Elohim (אֱלהִים) = YHVH =Yahveh = Adonai'

The Sacred Name appears in the Hebrew Scriptures as four Hebrew letters Yud, hey, vav, hey, which is closest represented by the letters YHVH. This is known as the Tetragrammaton. According to Jewish tradition it is 'not to be uttered' in order never to profane His name in any way. In Judaism it is therefore pronounced as 'Adonai', meaning 'Lord'.
The Tetragrammaton YHVH, has several representations. The more popular forms are YAHVEH, YAHWEH.

top topics

join