It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot so large, it can now be seen with the naked eye

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If you keep up with the sun check this out SUNSPOT SUNSET: Sunspot 1089 has grown so large, it can now be seen without the aid of a solar telescope. On July 21st, Gil Esquerdo "spotted it" as the sun set over Kitt Peak, Arizona:

Go to spaceweather.com... and check the picture out.( P.S Never knew sun spots could get so big that you down here on earth can see it with a naked eye thou very dangers)
Photo details: Canon 20Da, ISO 100, 1/8000s exposure

Esquerdo was located on adjacent Mt. Hopkins. "Twice a year, the sun sets behind Kitt Peak as seen from the ridge on Mt. Hopkins and the Whipple Observatory," he says. "Our monsoon thunderstorms cooperated long enough for me to photograph the event."

Kitt Peak is home to more than a dozen world-class telescopes, and many of their silhouettes can be seen in Esquerdo's photo. Highlights include the triangular profile of the great McMath-Pierce solar telescope and the towering dome of the Mayall 4-meter telescope.

Caution: Although sunspot 1089 is large enough to see with the naked eye, looking for it is not recommended. Even when sunlight is dimmed by clouds and haze, you can still suffer permanent eye damage by staring too long at the unfiltered sun. Be careful

[edit on 23-7-2010 by ddarkangle2bad]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Very cool.

One thing tho... please don't stare at the sun! One of my mates partially blinded himself as a kid doing exactly that. Welding goggles are the best way to do it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
actually u can view the sun directly without goggles at sunset and sunrise however you have only a small amount of time to view it before the suns glare becomes too much and then it can damage your eyes( that is if u see the sun rise...). If the sunspot is still there thats the best time to view it.

[edit on 23/7/2010 by loner007]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thread already here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
here is a link on how to make a pinhole sun viewer

solar-center.stanford.edu...

good stuff.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Heres the link for the existing thread too

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Simple search

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
visible to the naked eye, I don't think so.

I've just looked

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I looked at the sun using some black paper and couldn't see the hole.

top topics

join