It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drunk Driving Mayor free on "10 miles over"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
DUI charge dismissed against Surfside Beach mayor
www.thesunnews.com...

JULY 22, 2010

The state dismissed the driving under the influence charge this morning, Deaton said. Deaton pleaded guilty to driving 10 miles over the speed limit and forfeited a $133 bond as a fine.

Read more: www.thesunnews.com...

the original arrest story:

www.wmbfnews.com...

JANUARY 8, 2010

SURFSIDE BEACH, SC - A Grand Strand mayor was arrested early Friday morning and charged with driving under the influence.

Surfside Beach Mayor ALLEN DEATON, 54, was booked into the J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 2:30 a.m. Friday.

According to an arrest report, around 11:30 p.m. Thursday a Surfside Beach Police officer clocked Deaton's vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed and conducted a traffic stop. According to the officer, he saw Deaton fumble with documentation before opening his door to address the officer.

Once the door was open, the officer reported smelling a strong odor of alcohol. He said the mayor's eyes were glassy and speech was slurred.

When Deaton handed the officer the paperwork, the report states he included vehicle registration, insurance card, WHICH WAS EXPIRED, and a gold Visa credit card. When the officer returned the credit card, he was given a driver's license.

Deaton said he had played in a pool tournament at the Moose Lodge and apologized when asked if he had been drinking, according to the report.

Just before midnight, officers conducted a field sobriety test, which the administering officer said indicated a blood alcohol content over the legal limit. The report states Deaton refused to submit to a breathalyzer test.

also here:

www.carolinalive.com...

The report also says Deaton had trouble focusing on the officer and that "there was a strong odor of alcohol emitting from his person as he spoke."

The officer asked Deaton if he'd been drinking. The incident report quotes Deaton as saying "Umm, actually I just came back from the Moose Lodge and I played pool tournament and I apologize."

The officer called for a sergeant who then called for another officer, cited in the report as being an "Advanced DUI "SFST" detection officer."

Deaton submitted to a field sobriety test, and the results listed in the police report show the officer believed Deaton to be "materially and appreciably impaired" and his BAC estimated to be "over the legal limit."

And to add to the privileged treatment:

NewsChannel 15 had a news crew at the jail awaiting Deaton's release, but according to Deputy Jail Director, Joey Johnson, Deaton was LET OUT A BACK DOOR. Johnson says he will look into how that happened because inmates are usually released through the front door.

I wish I could do whatever I wanted and just get a fancy lawyer to make it all go away.

Not.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Oh, my gosh the corruption is evident everywhere.
ARGH!
Here near me in Riverside CA, a Police Chief had something like 11 drinks and I believe 5 prescription meds before he tried to drive.
The police let him go.
Everyone lied for him.
The topless dancer was the only one who told the truth.
He is trying to look good now by attacking other City officials on other issues.
ARGH!
Stop the madness or our whole country will be just like Bell and Maywood, California !

join