It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Help Identify This Skull?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, that is, it certainly looks like a skull. My little Daughter found this on a Beach in North Wales, U.K.

I'm thinking it looks like some kind of tropical fish of some sort, although I might be and probably am way off. Can anyone help identify it? I'm curious, thanks. If any other pics of it will help from different angles please let me know.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Honestly? That looks like a vertebrae from a spinal column.....

[edit on 7/22/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
looks like a cat vertebrae

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
think there right vertebra
a skall would be hollow and no nose cavity's there

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I have no scientific knowledge, but I would never think that was a skull.

More like part of an animal spine, or maybe part of paw or something like that.

Good luck

link   
Thanks for the replies, note in the first pic you can see a hole going right through to the other side, is this consistent with vertebrae?

link   
I would also say vertibrae, going to your local vets may help, they usually have a keen eye and may be able to tell you what it is there and then.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is definitely a vertebrae!
Compare it any picture of any skull and then a picture of a vertebrae and you will see!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes it is vertebrae. The hole is the channel in which the spinal cord;nerves reside.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think I was being too broad with my definition of skull. Seems everything points to it being a vertebrae then. Thanks all.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Thanks for the replies, note in the first pic you can see a hole going right through to the other side, is this consistent with vertebrae?

Yes, it is where the Spinal Chord would be found, a nervous center organ that attaches to the Cerebrial Cortex, and has sections that branch outwards from each vertebrae and connects with other various parts of the entire nervous system as a whole.

Found it on the beach huh? Who knows, maybe it's part of Natalie Woods...

[edit on 7/22/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

Thanks. Do people think it's most likely from an animal then?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
Honestly? That looks like a vertebrae from a spinal column.....

[edit on 7/22/2010 by hhcore]

Just what I was thinking. There are no eye sockets for a start. Fish skeletons are very fragile things too.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Definitely of some form of animal, probably marine in nature but who knows... could be a land based mammal of some sort. I'm not of the opinion that it's from a cat however... would need to do some research to find out more. Why dont you surf over to the Google site and search for the word vertabrea - would help you better than ATS I'm sure. =
=

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I'd say so, where do you think the spinal chord runs?

[edit on 22-7-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

Hi Hawkwind
It could be animal, bird or even large fish I think. The only thing I would probably rule out would be Human, but don't take my word for it as I am not an expert!
Where is the "Phage" of bones?

[edit on 22/7/10 by wiser3]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
it looks like it might be from an animal that is long and serpentine - not a snake but maybe an eel?

it is pretty worn down.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Well, that is, it certainly looks like a skull. My little Daughter found this on a Beach in North Wales, U.K.

I'm thinking it looks like some kind of tropical fish of some sort, although I might be and probably am way off. Can anyone help identify it? I'm curious, thanks. If any other pics of it will help from different angles please let me know

As the others said, it's a vertebra.

More specifically, it's a cervical (neck) vertebra of some sort... not cat (spines aren't high enough) but possibly dog. Not bird.

Fish vertebra look like tuna cans.

(it kinda vaguely resembles some of the sauropod vertebra I'm working on, but you'd know if it was sauropod. For one thing, they're extinct. For another thing, the piece in your hand would be about as large as a recliner chair.)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

i thought it looked like a sauropod, too.
a mini-me sauropod.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I found a skull on a beach once. Kept it in a plastic bag for about a month (the smell.... the smell...) until one day when I took it into school, my teacher said her brother was a zoologist and could ID it for me. Turns out it was a sheep skull...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join