It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 out of 30

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Using the ORB survey of Iraq War Casualties from 2007, around 1.2 million Iraqis have been killed in the war.

The population of Iraq is about 31 million

That means 1 out of every 30 Iraqis alive in 2003 have died from the invasion. This number only includes violent deaths, no indirect deaths.

Imagine if 1 out of 30 people at your school or work place were killed.

If another country invaded the united states and killed the same ratio of people, that would be 10 million people, would we be very happy with our occupiers if they did that?

Remember the old Iraqi regime had already been completely taken out by May of 2003. It seems since we took power we have been killing just as many Iraqis as Saddam was.

I know this is not news, but I didnt understand the scale of the numbers until I did the math like that. Go ahead and read up on the survey if the numbers dont look right, its credible.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Using the ORB survey of Iraq War Casualties from 2007, around 1.2 million Iraqis have been killed in the war.

The population of Iraq is about 31 million

That means 1 out of every 30 Iraqis alive in 2003 have died from the invasion. This number only includes violent deaths, no indirect deaths.

Imagine if 1 out of 30 people at your school or work place were killed.

If another country invaded the united states and killed the same ratio of people, that would be 10 million people, would we be very happy with our occupiers if they did that?

Remember the old Iraqi regime had already been completely taken out by May of 2003. It seems since we took power we have been killing just as many Iraqis as Saddam was.

I know this is not news, but I didnt understand the scale of the numbers until I did the math like that. Go ahead and read up on the survey if the numbers dont look right, its credible.

Actually the regime is still not completely taken out if you mean kill or captured. And we are not killing Iraqi citizens.... We are killing people that are attacking us. We do not shoot first unless we see they are of hostile intent or are already shooting at us. It's WAR.... civilians die... This war has had the fewest civilian deaths of any major invasion/war we have been involved in. I don't hear you crying about all the civilians that died in Vietnam, Korea, WWII, or WWI.

Oh and 20% die from Car bombs.... That is not even the US doing that, that's their own citizens doing it.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Reign02]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
OK, 20% car bombs, but 48% gunfire, 9% areal bombardment, 6% accident still is a large amount.

No duh they are shooting at you, I would two if my brother(or mother, or sister, or farther) was killed in an areal bombardment for example.

Reminds me of some immortal technique lyrics (which btw are obviously dated because Saddam is long gone)

"They say the rebels in Iraq still fight for Saddam
But that's bull#, I'll show you why it's totally wrong
Cuz if another country invaded the hood tonight
It'd be warfare through Harlem, and Washington Heights
I wouldn't be fightin' for Bush or White America's dream
I'd be fightin' for my people's survival and self-esteem
I wouldn't fight for racist churches from the south, my n#
I'd be fightin' to keep the occupation out, my n#"
edit - btw this guy actually has visited Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times, I know he help build an orphanage and stuff and Afghanistan, so he really does know the people.

And I was referencing Bushes speech on may 1st 2003 when I said the regime was gone, he said "And this much is certain: No terrorist network will gain weapons of mass destruction from the Iraqi regime, because the regime is no more." speech

[edit on 22-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
no point in arguing with someone who has never been to Iraq.... They for the most part like us over there, they are able to do what they feel not what Sadaam says they can do.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reign02
no point in arguing with someone who has never been to Iraq.... They for the most part like us over there, they are able to do what they feel not what Sadaam says they can do.

I haven't been to Iraq, but I based my opinion off my neighbor who has been(it was a few years since he got back, so it might be different now), he did fight and he has horrible PTS. He basically told me the war is a complete fraud. I trust that guy so I am sticking to my opinion. Also the lyrics I posted are from somebody who has been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
If Iraq today continues peacefully and democratic, without corruption, then the children now will live in a much better future, then under Saddam

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I feel that it is sad that some people can justify the killing of 1 million people...while having an avatar that is a skeleton in war fatigues.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nagabonar
If Iraq today continues peacefully and democratic, without corruption, then the children now will live in a much better future, then under Saddam

So if China came over here, and killed 10 million people, and told us it was for our own good, because of our corrupt politicians, and our huge deficit and the money we owed China, would you fight? Or would you roll over, because you thought the Chinese had out best interests in mind?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
I feel that it is sad that some people can justify the killing of 1 million people...while having an avatar that is a skeleton in war fatigues.

Ok I am in the military.... WE ARE TRAINED TO KILL!!! You people have no clue what war is.... I too have PTSD from Iraq and Afghanistan... are you aware that the insurgents while attacking will hold forces back in the background and after we kill them will retrieve their weapons from their bodies to make it appear like we killed innocent civilians. We do not engage people that are not a threat to us or the people of Iraq. You internet nerds just sit on your computer feeding into all the BS that the internet and the media portrays which is everything BAD. You never see the good we do, well because that doesn't make for a good story.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Ok I am in the military.... WE ARE TRAINED TO KILL!!! You people have no clue what war is.... I too have PTSD from Iraq and Afghanistan... are you aware that the insurgents while attacking will hold forces back in the background and after we kill them will retrieve their weapons from their bodies to make it appear like we killed innocent civilians. We do not engage people that are not a threat to us or the people of Iraq. You internet nerds just sit on your computer feeding into all the BS that the internet and the media portrays which is everything BAD. You never see the good we do, well because that doesn't make for a good story.

First you say that you are "trained to kill"...then you end your post with how much good you do.

The fact is you are trained to kill. Just because you build a school in some small town, after completely destroying the entire damn country doesnt make you a saint. As far as only killing combatants, are you saying that 1 million people all took up arms? That is a blatant lie. No one (except you, apparently) would suggest no civilians have been killed.

Please. I'd rather be an "internet nerd" than a murderer for an unjust cause.

Furthermore, the media lies are what got us into these wars in the first place. They arent reporting on "the good things" because in war, there are very few good things, compared to the amount of chaos, death and violence.

Too many men of my generation have PTSD, and its a messed up situation, because alot of them snap. An entire generation ruined and brainwashed.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by aching_knuckles]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" (Disraeli)

The article says “calculated a range of 733,158 to 1,446,063 deaths” and based on a fairly small survey sample (“1,720 adults aged 18+, out of which 1,499 responded”).

As someone who dabbles in statistics for a living, I just wonder whether extrapolating upwards a result based on such a sample (whose demographic is unknown) holds much statistical significance, especially if a sample of the results were not checked for accuracy and currency.

Oh, I am sure the upward figure of 1.4 million will now be cited as fact (rather than the lower figure), thus demonstrating the futility of war and (of course) the crimes afflicted by the US et al. Personally, I don’t know which of the many estimates of post 2003 Iraqi deaths to believe in, in the same way as I don’t know which figure of the numbers of people murdered under Saddam Hussein (from 1 million upwards) carries the most weight.

What proportion of the post Invasion deaths were as a direct result of the internecine conflict between Iraqi factions, as there is a implication (from some) that all the Iraqi deaths were due to the US. Certainly, that charming and entirely unfairly treated young fellow, President Hussein, should have been allowed to thrive in Iraq merrily tearing tongues out of children and sitting on the hill of skulls he built.

Regards

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The whole Iraq war is just another genocide that will never be classified that way because it is executed as a crusade.

Turkey still hasn't admitted the Armenian genocide, that made it possible for what happened in WW2.

I am sick of this world and disgusted with the elites making this all possible.

Hang em high!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

are you aware that the insurgents while attacking will hold forces back in the background and after we kill them will retrieve their weapons from their bodies to make it appear like we killed innocent civilians.

My bet is they do that to retrieve the costly weapons, not to make the US military look bad.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

First you say that you are "trained to kill"...then you end your post with how much good you do.

The fact is you are trained to kill. Just because you build a school in some small town, after completely destroying the entire damn country doesnt make you a saint. As far as only killing combatants, are you saying that 1 million people all took up arms? That is a blatant lie. No one (except you, apparently) would suggest no civilians have been killed.

Please. I'd rather be an "internet nerd" than a murderer for an unjust cause.

Furthermore, the media lies are what got us into these wars in the first place. They arent reporting on "the good things" because in war, there are very few good things, compared to the amount of chaos, death and violence.

Too many men of my generation have PTSD, and its a messed up situation, because alot of them snap. An entire generation ruined and brainwashed.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by aching_knuckles]

First off the media did not cause the US to invade Iraq. And I am not suggesting that no innocent civilians have been killed. I know they have!!! But we are not doing it on purpose. LMAO u obviously have never been there either.... There really is not that much chaos, death, and violence. So many days pass by when absolutley nothing happens.... Do some research or get some balls and go to Iraq, and you too can expierience "all this genocide and killing" cause there really isn't that much killing going on.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
The whole Iraq war is just another genocide that will never be classified that way because it is executed as a crusade.

Turkey still hasn't admitted the Armenian genocide, that made it possible for what happened in WW2.

I am sick of this world and disgusted with the elites making this all possible.

Hang em high!

How is the war in Iraq genocide?? We are not going village to village killing people because of their religion or anything ( they shoot at us first and then we return fire).... You are a moron who thinks that we are because it just so happens that 95% of our enemy that attacks us is the same religion.

You people just don't get anything.... Almost everyday at bases all over Iraq they mortar and launch rockets at our bases unprovoked. We are not just going out and leveling villages or calling in rocket strikes just because. They also like to drive along the perimeter of our bases and do "drive by's" Ohh they are such a bunch of peaceful people.........

top topics

join