It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23% Say U.S. Government Has the Consent of the Governed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Now, i knew that A LOT of people have not been happy with our government the for the last ten years or so, but I hardly expected this, ...

23% Say U.S. Government Has the Consent of the Governed

The notion that governments derive their only just authority from the consent of the governed is a foundational principle of the American experiment.

However, a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 23% of voters nationwide believe the federal government today has the consent of the governed. Sixty-two percent (62%) say it does not, and 15% are not sure.

So, it seems only 23% of the US population condone the policies our government is shoving down our throats without a thought or care about what the people, the "governed", think or want!

Over the past couple of years, most Americans have opposed many initiatives of the Political Class including the bailouts of the financial and auto industries. Additionally, most voters still favor repeal of the national health care plan and overwhelmingly disagree with the Justice Department's decision to challenge Arizona's new immigration law in court.

Fifty-five percent (55%) don’t even think most members of Congress pay all the taxes they owe.

Voters are evenly divided over the notion that a group of people randomly selected from the phone book could do a better job than the current Congress.

One reason for skepticism about the Political Class is that 70% believe Big Government and Big Business are on the same team working together against the rest of us.

I don't have a simple answer on how to fix this train wreck of our government system that we have, that pays no attention to what "the people" or "the governed" want or care about unless it is election year, then have no intention of carrying those election promises out once they meey the "big business lobbyists" in DC.

I say it's time to have a probation period for our politicians!

Let's say after a year or two, we have a poll to see if the people they are representing are happy with what they are doing once they're elected! And if the poll turns out that the politician isn't voting the way his constituents would like, he's out and it's time for another election!

That would be one way to keep them in line!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Notice to the politicans! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pay CAREFUL attention!

See the above post and recognize that YOU are on some VERY shaky ground. No... EXTREMELY shaky ground!

Anyone recognize the following:

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Our Founders would, as they wrote this in the Declaration of Independence!!! Politicians had better take note and do so very, VERY quickly!

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Yeah, that is the rest of the text of the Declaration of Independance.

The part that comes right after the parts we were made to memorize.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wonder what proportion of the 23% who disagree are employed, by their government? Would just be interesting to know.!
I think we British feel the same. In fact, I’d hardly be surprised if a similar number of Europeans felt the same about the EU. Especially given the way both MEP’s and career politicians like to avoid giving us a referendum, over just about anything, at just about every opportunity.

It's because whenever politicians have tried to be more democratic, they’ve often learnt the EU people don’t like their EU cage, so they’ve ended up cooling towards democracy altogether.

So don’t worry my American Subjects: Theirs roughly a similar number of people as yourself’s (who were once in a prosperous, politically diverse climate) now in an increasingly “one-way” “progressive” society (with the “peasants” feeling exactly the same as you, about it!!!)

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
I wonder what proportion of the 23% who disagree are employed, by their government? Would just be interesting to know.!
[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

They are either employed by the government or are sucking off its teats. This government has become of by and for the corporations. Screw We the People.

The implosion is inevitable. What rises from the ashes should be of concern to all since historically it is a dictatorship.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Government at all levels has discovered they really don't need the consent of the governed. They have the guns.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Honestly, polls are a good way to start a discussion...but people should not take them seriously as they are not accurate in the slightest and can be easily manipulated for any purpose.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Solomons]

top topics

join