It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks head steps out of the shadows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
(CNN) -- A surprise appearance by WikiLeaks.org founder Julian Assange at the TED Global conference in Oxford, England, has cast new light on the activities of the site and its mysterious leader.

Assange's site, which released video of a U.S. air strike in Iraq that killed a dozen civilians, claims to have revealed more classified intelligence documents than the rest of the world's media combined.

Explaining why WikiLeaks has been keeping a lower profile since releasing the airstrike video, Assange said Friday it was working on raising funds and strengthening its technical infrastructure to handle more traffic while accumulating "an enormous quantity of whistle-blower disclosures."

He later told reporters that "there are many things which are very explosive."

Assange, 39, said the site operates from several countries, including Sweden and Belgium, where laws provide more protection for its disclosures.

He said he canceled plans to travel to the United States for three public appearances, citing what he described as indications that U.S. officials might not follow the "rule of law" in dealing with him. He also mentioned advice from investigative journalist Seymour Hersh to be cautious. He said U.S. officials have since adopted a more "reasonable" stance.

TED Global is an annual conference hosted by the nonprofit organization TED, named after the three subjects it first began discussing in the 1980s: technology, entertainment and design. It has expanded its scope in the years since and its website now hosts more than 700 talks on a wide range of topics.

Source

This is a rare appearence. I wouldn't be out much aswell if I knew the US is keeping a close eye on me.

Assange cancled 3 previous flights citing what he described as indications that U.S. officials might not follow the "rule of law" in dealing with him.

Check out the article, and there's aslo a video.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
So much for the US and it's "democracy" and "freedom of speach" . Assange must be on watch, that the US does not violate any human rights against him and forces "national security" as a reason

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is exactly the problem -- the US will label wikileaks a "terrorist" operation and then there is no rule of law.

Did you really think Obama wants to pass a law allowing for the removal of US citizenship for persons deemed threatening to the US and then still follow US law and grant this person our Constitutional rights? Please.

Once anyone is labelled a terrorist, which is getting a broader and broader definition daily, all bets are off and the US can do whatever they please.

My advice:
Run. Julian. Run.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nagabonar
So much for the US and it's "democracy" and "freedom of speach" . Assange must be on watch, that the US does not violate any human rights against him and forces "national security" as a reason

Yeah, and Im surprised that hasn't happened. And hopefully won't but once he slips and falls, you better bet that the US will be there to catch him with a pair of handcuffs.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In my view it weakens the credibility of Wikileaks that they choose to sit on stuff for so long.
We have been hearing about the leaked diplomatic cables for weeks if not months now. Just release them already!
I'm sure that there are lots of sites willing to mirror the content if they are worried about server capacity.

This seems more and more like they're just trying to build up their PR hype.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This man deserves a Nobel prize for his work. He deserves it much more than Obama did.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I used to think Assange was the bomb-diggity until I started reading more about wikileaks. Between the site's budget and waiting months for anything new to be released on their site, the whole thing smells. Assange keeps showing up in the news but hasn't done much other than post one video. Honestly, I think he is just marketing himself and it seems to be profitable.

If you are looking for more information on wikileaks, or just want to see how wikileaks should operate, I suggest taking a look at cryptome.org.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
In my view it weakens the credibility of Wikileaks that they choose to sit on stuff for so long.
We have been hearing about the leaked diplomatic cables for weeks if not months now. Just release them already!
I'm sure that there are lots of sites willing to mirror the content if they are worried about server capacity.

This seems more and more like they're just trying to build up their PR hype.

Oh trust me, I dont think there worried about the server capacity.
They are more worried about their freedom, and life.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
My advice: release everything asap! dude theyre gonna get you eventually anyway! stop being unrealistic & thinking you can "bargain" for your freedom. unless your a cia front then...DO WHAT YOUR MISSION STATEMENT SAYS YOU INTEND TO DO!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm hoping that he is going for the something major and that this entire process is an effort to build credibility and awareness.

Some of the stuff I am pretty sure is out there would require such mass awareness for people to take seriously and I for one am willing to wait for it...

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
"He said U.S. officials have since adopted a more "reasonable" stance."

Of course Mr. Assange, they now own you and Wikileaks.

Co-operation has amazing advantages, and in your case was well worth the sacrifices.

In my opinion,. of course.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Fractured.Facade]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There was once a time I would consider wikileaks a valid website doing a good job. Not any more, it is so obvious now that Julian is just marketing his site and trying to drum up dollars. Don't get me wrong more power to anyone who can make a buck in this economy. In my belief though he is going about it the wrong way, he should have leaked something more by now. You wait to long and people lose interest and the hype fades away.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
We just need to wait and see what unfolds.

We cannot jump to conclusions. Im sure this guy has some information that will be worth waiting for. It just take's patience.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

That is a great point. Even if they came out with information that was damning, the public could simply not believe them. There has to be an increasing release of damning information. Once the public starts paying attention nothing will stop it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
You wait to long and people lose interest and the hype fades away.

Maybe this is exactly what Assange wants. wait until things coold down

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
He's not trying to drum up dollars for himself, not Julian. He's a minimalist that could disappear into the 3rd world with a backpack, water bottle and a laptop.

That's probably why they are so scared of him.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
You wait to long and people lose interest and the hype fades away.

Maybe this is exactly what Assange wants. wait until things coold down

Very true.
Im positive, soon, that we will be reading, viewing, something that will be very important from wikileaks.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

Yeah, and Im surprised that hasn't happened. And hopefully won't but once he slips and falls, you better bet that the US will be there to catch him with a pair of handcuffs.

The US government would not need handcuffs.

Someone will feed him a a edited video that shows US troops involved in what looks like a massacre with the names of some of the military involved.

A week or so later the truth will come out and it will be found to be a hoax and the military personal named will be found to have left the service long before the video happened.

These service men will then sue the founder of wiki leaks for a large amount of money for defamation and stress and win.

And that will be the end of wiki leaks.

Why then would the government have to do anything to the owner of wiki leaks

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
He's out to market his data to the highest bidder i thinks and that seems to be the CIA.

it would be in his own interestes to release data if the CIA wanted to pop him off as his best defence and yet he has not done this.

Hope i'm wrong but time will tell.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
it seems to me that if julian was realy a threat to the NWO then he'd be dead already,

and it seems to me, that if julian realy was what he says he is, he would have realesed all his info already.

i hope he proves me wrong, and soon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join