It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-aircraft energy laser unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

US firm Raytheon unveils its new anti-aircraft laser at the Farnborough Airshow in Hampshire, releasing a video of it shooting down an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) at the US Navy test range on San Nicolas Island off the coast of California.

Raytheon said "the solid state fibre laser produces a 50 kilowatt beam and can be used against UAV, mortar, rockets and small surface ships.
We've tied this into Phalanx, the US Navy's anti-missile defence system that links a multiple barrelled 20mm Gatling gun to a radar guidance mechanism.
This system is already installed in many ships, both in the US and other Nato nations, such as the Royal Navy.It functions as the last line of defence, so if you can fit a laser onto it, you have a longer reach and an unlimited magazine, cause it keeps on throwing out photons,"

Link to video!

Link to more information

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hey that was interesting!

It looked to me as though the laser had to be focused on the drone for quite a few seconds for it to be destroyed. A bit of a drawback!

How far away must they be from a higher intensity beam weapon to this one?

Not far i bet. And could you imagine the potential?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Excellent Video, I saw this this morning and thought it was the coolest thing, and I bet that what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg as to what they can really do.

I wonder how far this can be effectively used like that?

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Maybe I should of put this in the UFO section or just added UFO to the title....seems to of done wonders to this phage's thread

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Yeah, I noticed that other thread popping up.

I'd feel a bit hard done by if i were you.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Well this was the 1st one I think...I don't feel hard done by...but aren't there rules about multi posts....the "this is not a ufo" one was on the top threads all of yesterday

new topics

top topics

join