It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A plea for the protection of the vulnerable...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.-Mark5.14

and they plotted to arrest Jesus in some sly way-Matt26.4

Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God.-Acts4.18

whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death-Prov8.36

For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you will perish; it will be utterly ruined-Is60.12

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.-Matt28.18

The other beasts had been stripped of their authority, but were allowed to live for a period of time.-Dan7.12

All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.-Ps6.10

so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin-Heb9.28

got your nation or household best interest in mind?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

edited the posting to say, while there is concern for protecting mentally ill people from possible bad advice, it is not another persons right to further expose them without consent first.

If someone feels like they aren't being heard it could possibly be due to the person speaking what they believe to be facts when in reality it's merely the opinion of the poster.
This "fact" being expressed can cause the poster to be ignored by others, that could very well hinder an OP from hearing what could be sound advice.

The "listen to me" "they're wrong" type of approach is about control and about the poster when it should be about the author of the thread.

Some people insist on being heard because they are in fear for another's well being but taking control over another person will always result in failure. (Exceptions being family members and only in extreme cases or through the courts, leo, ect)

I feel in many cases it's better to ask questions and allow the person to talk it out, gaining information and a greater understanding of what the person is asking for.

I for one struggle in communication; expressing my thoughts but not with great clarity.

If someone is in crisis, or they might soon be in a crisis, the approach is first to be quiet, allowing the other person to know they have your attention, not the other way around. Ask questions and also repeat their words so there are no misunderstandings. This gains their trust and allows you to be heard, allowing the opportunity for your sound advice and good intentions to truly help the person.

Telling someone off the bat that what they believe in is not real will destroy good advice, trust, and communication.

We all have had control issues, no matter how good our intentions :bnghd:

[edit on 19-7-2010 by sweetliberty]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join