It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Shoots Self while Trying to Kill Squirrel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, an elderly woman trying to get rid of pesky squirrels shoots herself. Could this be a larger part of the domestic war on terrorism???

ABCNEWS.com

LAPORTE, Ind. June 16, 2004 � A 78-year-old woman tired of squirrels raiding her bird feeder got out her shotgun to kill the critter, but instead accidentally shot and injured herself. Alberta Jones loaded her 16-gauge shotgun Sunday and carried it with the barrel pointed down to the back door to take aim, police said. The gun accidentally discharged, police said, and shotgun pellets ricocheted off the floor.

Both of her legs were struck by the pellets, and one in her knee required surgery Tuesday to remove.

"I've tried everything to shag them away, and they keep coming back," Jones said of the squirrels after the incident.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well thank god she is OK.. and I bet the NRA will pay her a visit soon to offer her some instructions on how to better kill things without personal injury.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
LMFAO.... omg that kills me. I can just see this old lady cursing out the squirrel for digging in her flowers and because she is old and frail she can't hold the gun up to shoot the animal and mistakenly shoots herself. I have squirrels like this in my neighborhood. Dang things keep digging up my flowers in my flower boxes. So I thought about getting an elephant gun and taking them out. BOOM. Wouldn't even have to bother picking up the dead animal cuz there would be nothing left. LOL

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Oh great. She is a local. Why do hoosiers always seem to do smart things like this? lol

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Squirrels are very smart animals. Maybe the gun didin't misfire, maybe the squirrels deflected the bullets.

Isn't a gun kinda drastic for getting rid of squirrels? Maybe the woman was in a confused state.

And, shooting squirrels is a bad, bad, bad thing. I have a "pet" squirrel that even my dog likes.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The little buggers are bloody fast and you better have a good aim. Problem in my neighborhood is the old lady across the street feeds the squirrels so they have no fear of anything. I had to throw water at one to get it away from my door so I could get in my house.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

"I've tried everything to shag them away"

Now, that's just wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
LOL. Thats why they wont leave. :-)

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I have squirrels like this in my neighborhood. Dang things keep digging up my flowers in my flower boxes.

Well, yeah, they do that. But, only once or twice. I just stick the flower back in.

Exception: they don't like the smell of the plant.
I once planted rosemary near their feeding area. They pulled it out once. I put it back in. They pulled it out again. I replanted. They pulled it out and it disappeared--I never figured out where they put it. LOL

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I had this really pretty pot on my front porch. Loaded with geraniums and a few other things. I was going to the store and this dang squirrel was just destorying the plant. So I chased the dumb thing across the street. I left to go to the store and realized I left the money at the house. I turned around and found the squirrel back in the plant finishing off what it started. It completely wiped the plant out.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
A woman who is less than competent with firearms? Sounds like marriage material to me (I was always big on self-preservation).

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Something the same but with a sadder ending. . .

A few years ago a man near where I live was out deer hunting, He mistook a tree for a deer, or somehow shoot a tree infront of him, it ricocheted back at him and he died.

I think he might have got nominated for a Darwin Award. . .

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Geico insurance commercial.

new topics

top topics

join