It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lockerbie Conspiracy...and BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Christmas, 1988.

Just after 7pm, the Maid of the Seas had entered Scottish airspace at around 30,000 feet, out of sight and sound as it approached the small town of Lockerbie. Then at 7.03pm, 38 minutes into the flight, a bomb had exploded in the forward luggage hold. The disintegrating plane hurtled earthwards, with the fuel-laden wings exploding into Lockerbie’s homes, killing eleven townsfolk. Although its thought that some 150 passengers survived the initial explosion, everyone on board was killed on impact.

For more on the Lockerbie Bombing see this thread: Pan Am 103 to Lockerbie

This thread is NOT about what happened that day - it is about what has happened since.

On 31 January 2001, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was convicted, by a panel of three Scottish judges sitting in a special court at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands, of 270 counts of murder for the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, on 21 December 1988 and was sentenced to life imprisonment.

On the 20th of August 2009 he was released on compassionate grounds after the Cabinet Secretary for Justice in Scotland, Kenny MacAskill deemed that Megrahi was in the final stages of terminal prostate cancer and expected to die within three months.

11 months later and Al Megrahi is still alive.

His release was controversial, but what has come to light since then could paint a completely different picture of the details surrounding his release. It is most definitely true that Megrahi was seriously ill...but what he also used as a bargaining chip?

Jack Straw admits Lockerbie bomber's release was linked to oil

Jack Straw has reignited the row over the release of the Lockerbie bomber by admitting for the first time that trade and oil were an essential part of the Government’s decision to include him in a prisoner transfer deal with Libya.

The Justice Secretary said he was unapologetic about including Abdelbaset al Megrahi in the agreement, citing a multi-million-pound oil deal signed by BP and Libya six weeks later.

Documents published this week showed Mr Straw originally promised that a PTA would only be reached with Libya if Megrahi was excluded. But he later caved in to Libyan demands to include Megrahi. It followed a warning from BP that a failure to include the bomber could hurt the oil giant’s business interests. - Telegraph

Yes, when it rains, it pours - everyone's favourite whipping boys, BP, are once again at the centre of a conspiracy.

This story ran just one month after Megrahi's release and didn't seem to garner much interest at the time. However, it has resurfaced recently after a number of US Senators (probably spurred on by BP's recent publicity) have begun to question BP's links to the deal to release Megrahi.

Sen. Lautenberg Questions Tie Between BP Oil Contract in Libya, Lockerbie Bomber's Release

BP's role in the release of the Lockerbie bomber from a Scottish prison is being questioned in a letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, who is requesting an investigation into the oil company's success in securing a drilling contract in Libya.

"The prospect that oil contracts between BP and the government of Libya may have affected the release, as well as new questions about the veracity of medical reports detailing Mr. Megrahi’s health at the time, are disturbing developments that demand the attention of Congress", Lautenberg wrote to Sens. John Kerry and Richard Lugar, the co-chairmen of the Foreign Relations Committee. - Fox News

Also:BP Faces New Scrutiny in Lockerbie Case.

However, not everyone sees this as a conspiracy, especially not Alex Massie, author of The Lockerbie Conspiracy - an article in Spectator Magazine. According to Massie this latest 'Lockerbie Conspiracy' is anything but a conspiracy stating that "...cock-up - or rather the vagaries of medical prognosis - is a likelier explanation of all this than conspiracy not least because there is precisely no evidence of there being any conspiracy."

Alex does play the role of the sceptic very well and I would absolutely recommend the article to those wishing to see things from another point of view. Although even Alex agrees that signing the PTA (Prisoner Transfer Agreement) most probably did help BP's commercial interests in Libya.

In light of recent events in the Gulf Coast these dodgy dealings hardly come as a surprise, sadly. BP have shown that commercial interests are far more important to them than humanitarian/environmental interests and it seems that has been showcased once again during this saga. As Senator Charles Schumer stated: “commercial interests — oil or otherwise — should never be prioritized over justice for victims of terrorist acts and severe punishment for convicted terrorists.”

I'll leave you with a comment that Gordan Brown made a few days prior to Jack Straws admission that Megrahi's release WAS linked to oil...

"There was no conspiracy, no cover-up, no double dealing, no deal on oil, no attempt to instruct Scottish ministers, no private assurances.”

Related;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19/7/10 by LiveForever8]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
This is a interesting threat, I wrote one similar a few days ago about how i think the American government are trying to use this allegation to put more pressure on BP. I also wrote this theory about the Lockerbie bombing if you are interested

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

I think the subject is very interesting, especially considering how BP are now under the microscope lately. Put more pressure on BP? Yer, it's about time their working practices are put under the spotlight - even if nothing comes from this it will serve as a warning that they don't have a free ride any more, hopefully.

Your link doesn't appear to be working, but here is a thread that might interest you - A History of Oil - 'Oil, Smoke and Mirrors'.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The reason it doesn’t work is because according to one of the mods it’s not my own work, I can assure you that it is. I set up a website anyway with my theory posted i’ll giver yours a look could be interesting thanks.

kevinunknown.blogspot.com...

top topics

join