It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

So you're from Holland too.

Better safe then sorry is my motto.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

No, you are nitpicking.

On a thousand year scale, 2013 is around 2012.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by virgom129

It's called science. As more data comes in and as we get closer to the date a more accurate prediction can be made. If a meteorologist were to make a weather prediction a month in advance and then another one for the same date the day before it occurs you wouldn't accept the former prediction as being more accurate. Why? Because the meteorologist now has more concrete data on which to base his prediction.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
For everyone posting the Kaku video and choosing to believe him over others, I want to point out that his specialty is theoretical physics with a focus on string theory. Just because he is smart and famous does not make him an expert on astronomy and astrophysics. It has already been pointed out that he is using out-of-date data and that most recent predictions place this solar maximum as being the weakest we've had in a long time. If our electronics were not fried during the last maximum in 2001, then they won't be fried during this maximum either.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I love all the certainty on ATS
No,.. Nothing will happen
yes there will be an event
No there wont
yes there will,
no there wont,.
yes there will
Then the twisting of statements to try to make a point
the fun just never stops..
Saying that there will not be a catastrophic solar event is as reliable as anything on here..
The only fact is,.. Nobody,.. NOBODY knows what will happen.. or when
BUT, what is wrong with preparation,.. NOTHING

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Totally agree,,,

So why do all these science junkies on here keep saying this solar max will happen in 2013 and definitly not late 2012??

I'm on the fence on this 2012 scenario but have to laugh at these guys pretending they know better than the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

They say that it will occur in 2013 because that is what the current data is showing. The initial prediction was for 2010/2011, possibly 2012, but as we get closer the Sun's activity is not where it should be at, so the date was pushed back. If the prediction changes again it will be more than likely that it will be pushed to a later date. However, I think all current data supports a small maximum in 2013. I know Phage had a nice graphic that shows all of this visually.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

It's not a definite.

As Phage has already said, a large solar storm can occur at any time.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by faceoff85
[mor

Locations in mid to upper latitudes could suffer widespread disruptions of their power grids.

Why mid to upper lattitudes?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Two of you just quoted Phage..He may be good but he makes mistakes.
JUst check out this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Phage admits going over the math but misses the fact it is out by "6" decimal places??

His response??

"Yup, you're right.
Pesky zeros. "

I'm supposed to believe this guy 100% ???
Any one can search these sites, its how we interpret the results that count.
An opinion is just that...

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Actually I didn't quote Phage. My data comes from NASA. I just know that Phage had a graphic from somewhere that shows how the current prediction fits the data almost perfectly at this point.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Its happened before and it can happen again. Just b/c some scientists think it may be the least active solar max in awhile doesn't mean there can't be a freak storm. It pays to be prepared.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Because those are the regions where the Earth's magnetic field is strongest. The closer to the equator, the weaker the field. The effects felt on the surface are the result of fluctuations of that field. Stronger field, stronger effects.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thx for your easy for me to understand reply. Extrapolating to the future and back this makes an interesting theory for the behavior and progress of survivors along the equator as opposed to more northern and southern latitudes. With an extinction (of technology) type event many would be trapped in an eventual hunter-gatherer type of society while those closer to the equator would still have some technology to draw on for awhile. Gives me some clues to events of 12,000 to 13,000 years ago and also better predictability for the future.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It would be "during 2012" not "around 2012".
Around means exactly that, not during but either before or after.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I found it interesting to note that article from the UK outlet used the word "will" one time, and the word "could" ten times. There are just too many variables and unknowns to say that it "will" happen at any particular point in the near future.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I recall a massive solar storm in the spring of 1996 that fried my business’s satellite communications link.

Because the damage was so wide spread, there was a shortage of replacements that led to having to wait a few months to get a new dish placed on the roof and then properly positioned.

Really, really horrible things happened as a result of this, we could not use some computer applications and had to pull out this stuff called paper. It’s very thin and made from wood pulp. It can be written on with something called a pen or a pencil, the pencil is a cylinder of wood that encases a thin tube of lead. When you press the lead to the paper it leaves a mark, similar to what your keyboard does on a computer screen.

Other catastrophic inconveniences included having to pick up a telephone and speak to other human beings!

Yet the real hardships occurred when some people even had to go to the post office to send the paper written on with pencil through the mail to the recipient.

Fortunately everyone managed to survive this very harrowing and uncertain time, though naturally many needed expensive therapy and counseling to get over the impact of the trauma!

Life goes on people, this is just another way to promote sales and upgrades of communications equipment, a form of stimulus package if you will.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join