It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding Water of the Gulf

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I understand that some people are going to be in denial over this, but the evidence is right there, in your face. Come on. The chemist said "normal" expected amounts should equal 0 parts per million to 5 parts per million. Mineral oil is different chemically from petroleum oil. He tested for petroleum oil product, not mineral oil product.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Is it at all possible that the boat she was leaning out of had fuel leaking and gasoline might have gotten into the sample that exploded?

And they said it was a marina, which means there are boat fueling stations right there.

I don't understand why this is surprising anyone, there was an oil leak for 80 plus days in the gulf, of course there is going to be higher ppm of oil in the water.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Endure]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I understand that some people are going to be in denial over this, but the evidence is right there, in your face. Come on. The chemist said "normal" expected amounts should equal 0 parts per million to 5 parts per million. Mineral oil is different chemically from petroleum oil. He tested for petroleum oil product, not mineral oil product.

and im not saying he wrong or it isnt concerning.

but without a test to show what the ppms would be before the spill, its hard to know what this means.

and the point about the kid in the hole, possibly covered in suntan lotion is valid.

my only point is, what is presented isnt science. Science requires a control, a way to test your results against something else.

this is indeed useful information, but there are more questions to be answered, thats all.

testing for high levels of corexit seems like a more valid test, since there should have been basically ZERO corexit in there before 4/20.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Once again I visited the sea floor and all its fish Saturday north of Tampa Bay about fourteen miles out on a man made reef. Everything looked great but I think I'm going to find a way to check the water for Chemicals and toxins before I do my next dive. I don't want to have my buds and myself dieing because we were to dumb to check the water first.

Anyone know if they make some type of quick test kit like you would have for testing pool water?

FWI, I seen a huge sea turtle and many Dolphins. If you go fishing out there don't use dam balloons for bobbers!!!! We found one floating away from a fishing boat so we ran it down and took it out of the water. That could have killed any sea turtle, they eat them thinking they are jelly fish and die.

To the kid who let the big beach ball go I'm sure the dolphins thank you lol.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thats the whole problem Govenment agency are not doing there jobs,
should there be fuel in the water from the marina? should the water not be tested daily and reported, if not perhaps you need another government to impliment the changes nessary for public safty.

Is America a third world country? This is 2010 the ability to aquire and gvie out information is not that complicated

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It is all under control nothing to be worried about unless you are a smoker.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr20121221
Thats the whole problem Govenment agency are not doing there jobs,
should there be fuel in the water from the marina? should the water not be tested daily and reported, if not perhaps you need another government to impliment the changes nessary for public safty.

Is America a third world country? This is 2010 the ability to aquire and gvie out information is not that complicated

Sadly, we the people have decided that fuel in the water is ok as long as we can go out in our boats. Marinas always smell like gasoline near the docks. You can't go to a marina and not see the rainbow sheen of fuel in the water. I am not saying that this a good thing at all, but it is a fact of life with fuel powered engines on the water.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

What re you referencing your post to mineral vrs. crude?
what s with the mineral oil

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am also a victim of Gulf oil spill. Guess how?

I cant find any interesting topics other than Gulf oil spill and Israel...

I am getting bored of this oil spill really...

hope BP gets rid of oil spill sooooon....

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'd like to believe the news story, but it offers no proof. It's basically just the news reporter's word of mouth, as well as the "chemist". We should see his credentials, and also a video log of the testing being performed, so we can witness the exploding water for ourselves.

It was suspicious that he would laugh and turn away from the camera when talking about the exploding water. Also, he didn't even know what a normal oil level in collected water samples would be. They made a guess.

Nevertheless, if the water really did explode, then that is horribly frightening.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped the test tube.

"Oops..crap...how am I going to explain this one without looking stupid".

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have done this kind of experiment very often to purify lipids. The first time I had to use the blown instrument (I call them ''ampoules à extraction'', i dont know the english word for this), I didnt really knew how it work.
I had to purify eugenol, the chemical that give clove it's odor. This stuff will not blow when expose to open flame. Eugenol does not dissolve in water but only in lipids (oil).
So I put my eugenol sample in the ''ampoule à extraction'', I put the organic solvent for the purification and close the device.
For a good purification, you have to shake it. But this process produce gas wich build up pressure inside the device.
I didnt think about it and BOOM. The ampoule is blown in pieces, just like the one in the video.

I still have my old lab results for this experiment I did. I had 0.5237mg eugenol in 0.500L of sulotion. That is 1047 ppm.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Once again I visited the sea floor and all its fish Saturday north of Tampa Bay about fourteen miles out on a man made reef. Everything looked great but I think I'm going to find a way to check the water for Chemicals and toxins before I do my next dive. I don't want to have my buds and myself dieing because we were to dumb to check the water first.

Anyone know if they make some type of quick test kit like you would have for testing pool water?

FWI, I seen a huge sea turtle and many Dolphins. If you go fishing out there don't use dam balloons for bobbers!!!! We found one floating away from a fishing boat so we ran it down and took it out of the water. That could have killed any sea turtle, they eat them thinking they are jelly fish and die.

To the kid who let the big beach ball go I'm sure the dolphins thank you lol.
and just how deep do you go?
maybe 75 ft?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Knobby
[mor

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The PPM in the water and in the sand is not verifiable as to it's level of danger, but the one test site that exploded the test tube, now that is news! If a quart of ocean water can explode in a siple test of organic materials being added to it, there's trouble abrewing. Sometimes the smallest news item can be very significant indeed.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Any number of factors could have made that glass break,but the news jumped on it without giving hard evidence...no surprise there from the msm.
Not saying they are making it up,and if it is indeed due to an added chemical in the water,then that is worrying.
The disspersant maybe?

They IMO,got the highest reading on the beach from the hole the kid dug,because over time,heavier globs of oil sink into the sand which the kid disturbed.
Most likley they were reading long term contamination there i think.

Just my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Well If I mistook your reply as,. no big deal go ahead and swim then apologizes to you.
I find this a very serious issue and strongly believe this will cause serious harm to the people swimming in it

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
As has been said, what in the world are those parents thinking, letting their children play on the beach like that? I'd be more afraid of the corexit than the oil alone, incidentally. I'd simply have to regard any coastal region as a potential toxic chemical site, and would never allow children to play in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in three to five years time, if not sooner, we start hearing about something like G.O.S. -- Gulf Oil Syndrome -- affecting children and adults who were exposed to polluted waters during this crisis.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I wonder how much BP is paying people to come to sites, such as ATS, and blame high petroleum levels on the beach on suntan oil? In the midst of one of the biggest oil disasters in world history, it's suntan oil that's the real problem?

Unbelievable.

Nothing to see here people. Didn't you hear? The spills over. Return to normal life. Head back to the beach.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nyteskye
I wonder how much BP is paying people to come to sites, such as ATS, and blame high petroleum levels on the beach on suntan oil? In the midst of one of the biggest oil disasters in world history, it's suntan oil that's the real problem?

Unbelievable.

Nothing to see here people. Didn't you hear? The spills over. Return to normal life. Head back to the beach.

Really? What on earth is going on here.. There was an OIL LEAK for 80 plus days. Of course there is going to be oil in the water... why would BP bother to pay people to try and pretend there is no oil? Everyone on the planet knows there is oil in the water... get a grip. The question isn't whether there is oil and dispesents in the water, the question is what are the ramifications of oil and dispersents in the water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join