It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding Water of the Gulf

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I thought this was very interesting due to the hard evidence and that I haven't seen it other places. I also included a few other things that relate to the topic and I feal are significant but didn't want to make a bunch of seperate threads.

“We think it most likely happened, either due to the presence of methanol, or methane gas. or the presence of the dispersant, Corexit.”

Methane dead zone found just offshore “linked to oil”; Stretches entire 1500 sq. miles of sample area

An unusual low oxygen zone in Gulf of Mexico waters off the Alabama shore has persisted for more than a month, and evidence points to the ongoing Deepwater Horizon oil spill as the cause The researchers measured low oxygen levels along the entire 40-mile stretch they sampled around Dauphin Island, Ala., from about 40 miles offshore to within a mile or two of the shoreline. The bottom layer of water was oxygen-depleted at depths of about 30 feet close to shore to 100 feet further out, along the continental shelf — a rim of shallow water tracing the coast from Mississippi to Florida.

“It’s not little local pockets,” said Monty Graham of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, who is tracking the zone. “It’s over a regional scale. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were a band of low oxygen over that entire area between the Mississippi River and Apalachicola, Florida.”

“The low oxygen was pushing up very close to the shore,” he added. …

[T]he low-oxygen waters seem to be arriving via a tongue of cold water that has pushed up from offshore carrying elevated levels of methane, Graham said. …

“The effects off the shelf might be longer,” Graham said. “If you drive the oxygen down at 1200 meters (3600 feet), there is nothing to replace that oxygen rapidly. You might see a low oxygen signature for years, maybe even decades.”

I think it's great that they have finally gotten the gusher capped but things like this deffinately show that we are far from being out of this.

meetthetruth.com...

www.wkrg.com...

www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Lupin]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
"The sample was destroyed in the explosion"

Looks like we're dealing with a really big bomb

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-7-2010 by SwissPort905v2]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Only two replies?

This is NUTS!!!!!
Shouldn't the city have the beach quarantined?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lupin

interesting indeed.

not surprising, but interesting.

i'd be curious to know what the parts per million were before the spill, in order to have a proper control in the experiment. seeing as how the gulf releases a lot of oil and whatnot naturally every day.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Very interesting report. I wonder if pieces of plastic (from toys, garbage, bottles, etc) were included in the PPM?
This is kinda scary to see. Kids are playing in dangerous waters these days.

[edit on 18/7/2010 by InnerTruths]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
they said in the video that about 5 parts per million would be normal.
so its quite a bit higher.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
they said in the video that about 5 parts per million would be normal.
so its quite a bit higher.

not exactly. the 'chemist' said he expected to see something at about 5 ppm, but didnt say why he would expect that number. And no background is given for what would be 'normal' or why.

and to head off the flames at the pass: I am not saying this isnt interesting information. I'm just wondering what the larger context of these results are.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lupin

As much as I would also like to know what the normal background levels are, 221 ppm seems like an extreme amount. And if that is not good enough, the exploding sample is outrageous!

I applaud this local news group for doing this, but shouldn't the FED be doing this kind of water sampling daily? If not to protect our own citizens along the Gulf, but at the very least, to help with the determination fo how much BP is fined?

Star and flag for this find OP.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We are no where near out of this yet. It's just the beginning. Someone told me many years ago, if the right hand is waving frantically above the table, focus on what the left hand under the table. BP et al needed to get rid of reporters, & especially cameras, so the sat a huge hat on top of a pipe and said *whew! It's all over.*

And folks...again, not all bad things can be seen with the naked eye. Don't swim, or let your kids swim, in that toxic waste site we used to call the Gulf of Mexico.

k

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
THIS NEEDS TO BE SENT TO SOMEONE OF INFLUENCE.
No joke
The ATS Board members and owners need to Help

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yeah I watched that this morning on youtube and was shocked. Well not really shocked but just trully amazed that parents are letting their kids swim in this shiv. They must know with all the corexit being sprayed that when it mixes with oil it then can go right through your skin and kill red blood cells. Im not even a parent and I know this. If I had kids and wanted to go to the beach I would for sure do all the research I possibly could on the matter. Wake up you fools, your kid's lives are at stake.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You think a kid sitting in a small hole covered in sun tan lotion could have thrown those numbers off a little bit.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by slt63366]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
hello, im new to this site. its crazy how much this stuff^ isnt being talked about on the mainstream media... i wonder about the little boy who was digging the hole where 221 parts per million were found, could it be possible for it to i guess seep through his skin? and also i live on the georgia coast, and i recently heard miami was starting to get little bits of oil washing up which really freaks me out cause miami is like the tip of the east coast... i think? i think bp execs along with halliburton execs too should be put on trial for environmental destruction

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Suntan Oils

Suntan oils have two advantages; they are water-resistant and have very good moisturizing properties. This is because they prevent the loss of water through the skin as they form an occlusive layer on the skin. Most oils consist of mineral oil together with some other moisturizing oils.

OMG!! There's Suntan oil on the beaches! Run for the hills.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by slt63366

No completely different type of chemicals.
I work in the transformer industry High voltage for a fact. transformers require oil testing periodically. So I am familiar with this process of testing.
BP scientists will say this number is not high enough to be cause for concern.
Bullsh*t,.. these people may not see immediate effects but WILL over time. For example your feet happen to be VERY absorbent and look where the concentration is high..
Children like the one in the sand pool will be very susceptible to chemical absorption. Who knows what will happen to them in the next few years..
the people on the beaches are not very intelligent

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by slt63366

they are also known to be highly carcinogenic (benzopyrene and other polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons), and yet people slather their children in it every day.

and they feed their kids food packaged in petroleum, and the drove to the beach in cars that emit toxic fumes from the partial burning of petroleum...

context

the presence of oil on a beach in the gulf doesnt seem all that shocking to me.

the gulf seeps millions of gallons a year on its own, in addition to the thousands of oil wells leaking out there for decades now.

without a large context all these ppms dont imply much, IMO.

i would be curious about the presence of methane (?) and corexit, though.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

So then You would be 100% confident there is no worry and you would swim in the gulf? Right Now

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by batboy420

www.abovetopsecret.com...

go here to my thread where tar balls(more than usuall) washing up on the space coast. My hometown beaches. In the begining they said it would be here by may30 but then the loop current backed up, but by now I am sure something is lurking in the water, be it oil or methane or dispersant one.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by justadood

So then You would be 100% confident there is no worry and you would swim in the gulf? Right Now

how do you come to that conclusion?

really, i want to know.

I wouldnt swim down there before the spill, i know the oceans are full of toxic crap.

im just wondering what these numbers actually mean, in the proper context.

i really dont know how you can take a question like that and turn it into me saying 'everything's fine'/

please help me understand.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I just posted this in another thread about the same clip. Thank God for News 5!

Just a few days ago the "First Lady" told people to come on down and vacation along the gulf!! What's up with that? Does she not care that people and children especially are going to get sick? She is more worried about "overweight children" than those kids playing with toxicity in the places she told them to visit (implying that they are safe)??? BTW the news report that I am talking about showed a picture of her getting out of a pool down there, not the gulf, but a pool and guess what her swimsuit said - "It's all about me" was printed all over it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join