It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage over ruling that mom who strangled daughter won’t be jailed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
CALGARY — A Calgary mother won’t spend a day in jail for killing her teenage daughter with a head scarf — a decision that has prompted outrage.

A national victims’ group, based in Toronto, is stunned by the suspended sentence given to Aset Magomadova by Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Sal LoVecchio on Thursday.

“I really strongly disagree. It sends a massively huge message to the rest of the country and the world that her daughter’s life was valueless,” said Joe Wamback, co-founder and chairman of the Canadian Crime Victims Foundation.

“Even though this girl may have been a handful and trouble, that’s not the issue. The issue is human life. Sentencing is not just about the criminal, but has to speak for the victim and to denunciation.”

In October, LoVecchio acquitted Magomadova, 40, of second-degree murder and found her guilty of manslaughter in the death of Aminat, 14. He placed her on probation for three years with several conditions, including taking counselling for grief, depression and anger management.

The judge rejected an argument by Crown prosecutors Mac Vomberg and Sarah Bhola for a 12-year prison term, instead accepting the position of defence lawyer Alain Hepner, saying a suspended sentence can still meet the demands of justice.

“At first blush (a suspended sentence) may sound like a get-out-of-jail-free card. It is not,” said LoVecchio.

“The court has said the act in question does not merit a period of incarceration. What the court has done is reserved or, to use the word of the statute, suspended judgment on that point for a period of time on conditions. If the conditions are satisfied, then the individual will not be sentenced. If they are breached, the individual will be brought back to the court to be dealt with further.”

Someone should take this damn waste of a woman and stone her fat but to death!!!
Take this hadji's scarf and wrap it around each leg and kill each leg... cut them off with a jig saw... then let her bleed out... this is what s wrong with the followers of allah... the character "Allah" is a psycho that needed to be decapitated..... Do you know how many mental midgets around the world believe in this pedophile???
Allah was a mental midget just like his followers!!!
I am going to pray that this woman gets face and anal cancer at the same time!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I need Details.

For those like me who hesn't heard this story. Why did this woman kill her daughter? What were all the details? The ruling and opposition to it might make more sense.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Unless it was self-defense, how can this be tolerated?

Is it because the victim was female? Troubled kids deserve murder?

Mine have driven me to my knees in despair and feelings of extreme frustration, anger, and worry for their prospects. They have made me lose money from work, having to go to their schools for discipline/disrespect problems, and caused me much grief and sorrow over their rebellion.

But always in front of us there is the thought that their strength and independence will be sorely needed in their adult lives. Whenever I have had to be harsh with them, there has been much character-building, praise for their positive attributes, and encouragement to be the better person inside them.

This woman commits the most heinous crime there is, the murder of her own offspring....and no jail time?

It's so hard to be a parent who cares and tries, this makes me sick. I guess the standards of parenting are getting so low as not to even exist anymore?

What happened to the right of the daughter to be a brat, a screw-up, or whatever else her mother had issue with, and still remain alive long enough to finish growing into someone? Juvenile offenses of any kind don't necessarily mean a wasted life, after all. Those records are sealed for a reason, so saying she was a difficult kid just doesn't cut it.

Who is completely formed and mentally developed by age 14?????

I am just not sure what criteria this court is using to justify this sentence. The implications are horrifying!

Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Calgary Herald link

IndyPosted link

Aset Magomadova stands convicted of strangling her 14 year old daughter in 2007. Her son, who was 12 at the time witnessed the killing, in which his mother used her head scarf to murder his sister. The boy is now in foster care. Canada and the world are in a rage because the court in Calgary, Alberta did not sent Aset Magomadova to jail, instead sending her for court mandated counseling on an outpatient basis. Many observers are comparing the murder of Aminat Magomadova to Muslim “honor killings”. The facts of the case are far more complicated.

Despite coming to a peaceful refuge in Canada from her native Chechenya, war raged within Magomadova. Magomadova arrived in Canada a widow. Magomadova’s husband had been killed by a Russian rocket and she had a part of her foot amputated when she was in a Chechen jail. Upon arriving in Canada, she was hit with the news that her son, who is now 15 has muscular dystrophy. Her daughter, who suffered from memories of the war in Chechenya, quickly fell in with a bad crowd on coming to Canada, getting hooked on methamphetamines and lashing out violently at family and classmates alike. The day of the murder, Magomadova’s daughter Aminat had angrily refused to go to court for sentencing in a violent attack on a teacher in her school.

Canada.com quotes Magomadova as follows concerning the difficulties faced by the Magomadova family back in Chechenya.

Read The Full Story: Calgary Mom Strangles Her Kid With Headscarf, Dodges Jail – IndyPosted

[edit on 16-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Women usually get off easy when they are caught committing a crime. Sometimes this can be a good thing, such is the case with so-called victimless crimes, where people are punished too harshly.

Also, women seem to be convicted much less than men and when they are actually convicted, they seem to be let off easy, at least compared with men.

Could it be because people tend to believe women more, or look at them as less of a threat? I'm sure that juries tend to "like" women better. For instance, when a women does something wrong, child molestation, she must be mentally ill, yet when a male does it, he is a monster. With women, they tend to blame everything other than the woman. The same goes for child murder, I'm sure they will claim that they were stressed or "in over their head" and people actually buy that crap. If they kill their husbands, they claim abuse and turn the victim into the villain... and it works!

With that being said, I think that anyone who hurts a child should be tortured... to death. The motive or reason shouldn't matter. IMO, there is never a valid excuse for hurting a child.

--airspoon

[edit on 16-7-2010 by airspoon]

new topics

top topics

join