It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild hogs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

well I don't like to watch animals getting killed ,but I'm astonished to see such a large group of pigs! Good heavens . that many pigs are unstoppable unless you have a panther 3000, whatever ,night vision scope , sniper rifle.

which I don't

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I think the show said they can have three litters in 14 months and can average 12 piglets per litter, which means they can double their population in six months and seven out of ten would need to be killed to level off the population growth. Add in they will eat anything and we have a real problem. Then like icing on the cake some dumb mothers mixed Russian boars into the mix...hehe just great!

As to eating them a friend of mine told me if you put them on normal pig food for three months they will taste just like domesticated pig without the gamey flavor.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The info we were given recently is that an escaped pig will go completely ferral in 2 generations. With close to 3 litters in a year, it doesnt take long to for a pig to revert back to being a boar with no signs of ever being domesticated. That and a lack of natural predators is not a good thing.

We hunted them a lot in the panhandle of FL when I was a kid...I like the taste of the meat even.

Kafer

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
We live in Ga where wild hogs are very abundant. My husband hunts them and traps them and we eat the meat all the time. The way we cook it, I guarantee you, you cannot tell the difference between domestic and wild. It all depends on how its cooked, if its cooked right, it tastes great. But like others have said, if you get a really big stinky boar hog, it wont taste so good.

[edit on 7/19/2010 by concerned190]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

Well come on. Give it up. Whats the recipe?
share!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
you can cook it all kinds of ways, My husband usually smokes a leg or shoulder on the smoker ALL day about 12-14 hours then he chips it up for some tastey BBQ. I like to put a big roast(or any chunks of meat really) in the crock pot with a can of coke and some seasonings cook it on low for 6-8 hours and then shred it up add some BBQ sauce and have BBQ sandwitches. I also like to cut the meat up (pork chop size) cube it bread it and fry it with some country gravy and its very tasty.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The young ones are very good lean meat and smoke very good.

You can smoke a ham from a young piggy rock hard and store it that way for months.
great for survival
You can also grind them into sausage and smoke the sausage till hard.

My all-time favorite is sausage made with berries and nuts added to the pork and smoked.

If it's too gamey, it can be ground and mixed with spices to make Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, etc. jalapeno sausage is good too.

www.baydog.com...

This from my in-laws in Texas carry a can of bear repellent(pepper spray) and if you are run up a tree by a large boor or sow you will not have to wait till they decide to let you down.
Don't spray the piggy before running to the nearest tree as it sometimes takes a couple minutes to work. but it will drive them off.

Wild piggys have bad eye sight but a good sense of smell and can smell you in the tree. but the pepper spray overloads there sense of smell and they give up trying to find you.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
catch and feed younger pigs on corn for around 3 months and the meat becomes great to eat, some pig meat can be infected with parisites so if it smells rank, best not to eat. younger smaller ones will always be better.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
In referring to eating adults, I wonder if you brine it if it makes it more edible.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As others have said, they can be good eating and they can be very dangerous to hunt or to even cross paths with it.

As far as hunting them goes - you have to remember they are nowhere near as dumb as they look.

They actually have a better sense of smell than a dog and are roughly the same level of intelligence.

Add to that they breed like rabbits, can really tear up the landscape and if they can get it in their mouth and eat it - they will. That includes crops, trash, small / young critters, etc.

Given the danger a large one can pose ( for what its worth I'm in the "tree climbing club" too) - I'd suggest trapping as a means of getting them in a survival situation.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by concerned190
you can cook it all kinds of ways, My husband usually smokes a leg or shoulder on the smoker ALL day about 12-14 hours then he chips it up for some tastey BBQ. I like to put a big roast(or any chunks of meat really) in the crock pot with a can of coke and some seasonings cook it on low for 6-8 hours and then shred it up add some BBQ sauce and have BBQ sandwitches. I also like to cut the meat up (pork chop size) cube it bread it and fry it with some country gravy and its very tasty.

Small 150 pounders would look to be just great for the old pig buried in the ground over a pile of hot coals for 10 or 12 hours. Whole pigs for a pig roast are not cheap by any means and here we have free meat…hehe

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
We just BBQ'd a feral hog two days ago. We had backstrap, ribs, and shoulder. My buddy and I like to hunt hogs. He got it with his Bow. Perfect shot as the little fellow didn't even run. The little ones are the best to eat. Try putting the meat on ice and salt for 2 or 3 days. That will usually get rid of any "gamey" taste. Do be careful as others have said. They can be pretty mean and like to run in packs. It can be pretty scary in the dark when you hear that snort and hear the grass moving.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
pit traps work good just dont fall into your own pit. they are very tough mean as all get out. another common name for them is razorback. search here for hogzilla to see how huge they can be

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join