It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Fish Symbol = Female

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I've sometimes wondered about the story of the Christian fish symbol you see around, and in particular how it incorporates so many features that are female. I wonder if this has anything to do with there being a more female drive and focus in early Christianity that was later suppressed by the Catholic Church.

Female, Anhk, Yoni, Fish, Horus. Representing life, birth, rebirth, etc.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/c4ee15e6115ead19.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 16-7-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Many times in the Old Testament God's people Israel is portrayed as a "woman", with God as her husband. The "Bride of Christ" concept is in the New Testament too.
I did a thread on the appearance of the idea in revelation ch12;
The woman in heaven

So there isn't necessarily something very strange about having a female symbol for the church.
In fact it hasn't really even been suppressed. The Roman Catholics will routinely talk about "Mother Church"

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I've sometimes wondered about the story of the Christian fish symbol you see around, and in particular how it incorporates so many features that are female. I wonder if this has anything to do with there being a more female drive and focus in early Christianity that was later suppressed by the Catholic Church.

Don't see any particular conspiracy here; except for a few things.

If you read the Gospel of Mary, you will see that the male apostles of Jesus were what would today be called "chauvinist pigs"; especially Peter.

In response to Mary's explanation of the Knowledge that she had received through the Vision of the "Son of man", the male apostles ridiculed it as "strange teachings'; concluding that it was something that Jesus would not have said.

But Jesus loved Mary more than the other apostles, as stated in the Gospel of Philip, Jesus "...kissed her often on her mouth.".

Now, clearly, that is something that the male-dominated Christian church would not have appreciated; which is the reason why both the Gospel of Philip and the Gospel of Mary had to be repudiated as 'heretical'.

But another point, even the male apostles of Jesus did not appear to understand that, in their next lives, they may very well be 'raised from the dead' as, horrors, women; thus making any hatred of women at least 'unwise'.

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I always thought it stood for 'Pisces' which is where the Sun began to rise during that time on the Spring Equinox.

Similar to the times when people worshiped the Bull....Taurus....during the age of Taurus.

Canaanite El God....was a Bull God. If Im not mistaken...Mithra's stories about 'killing the Bull' was in a time that the age of Taurus was ending. Then you have the age of the 'ram' (Aries)...inbetween the age of Taurus and and Pisces....and there was times when sacrifices of the 'rams' was a part of religions.

Just my take on it...

[edit on 16-7-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
God forbid it would have anything to do with the procession of the equinox, and all that nasty paganism and stuff.

Although I do see the correlation between paganism and the adoration of the female, of which I certainly don't disagree, but could it possibly be a symbol representing the "age" they were living in at the time? The Age of Pisces perhaps?

EDIT: Dern it virgo
Well done. *\o/*

[edit on 16-7-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Cecil

If you read the Gospel of Mary, you will see that the male apostles of Jesus were what would today be called "chauvinist pigs"; especially Peter.

In response to Mary's explanation of the Knowledge that she had received through the Vision of the "Son of man", the male apostles ridiculed it as "strange teachings'; concluding that it was something that Jesus would not have said.

But Jesus loved Mary more than the other apostles, as stated in the Gospel of Philip, Jesus "...kissed her often on her mouth.".

Now, clearly, that is something that the male-dominated Christian church would not have appreciated; which is the reason why both the Gospel of Philip and the Gospel of Mary had to be repudiated as 'heretical'.

But another point, even the male apostles of Jesus did not appear to understand that, in their next lives, they may very well be 'raised from the dead' as, horrors, women; thus making any hatred of women at least 'unwise'.

The Gnostic texts are all late frauds by tiny fringe groups or even lone individuals. Anyone reading this would be well advised to trust the Bible as it came down from Orthodoxy, rather than someone who accuses Wikipedia of being an "accessory before the fact to genocide" and "criminal negligence resulting in genocide."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the idea that the male apostles could be "reincarnated" as women seems contradictory from someone who complains about the Gospel of Thomas not being canonical.

Simon Peter says to them: "Let Mary go out from our midst, for women are not worthy of life!" Jesus says: "See, I will draw her so as to make her male so that she also may become a living spirit like you males. For every woman who has become male will enter the Kingdom of heaven."

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ichthys, greek for fish.
it stands for an acrostic.
Jesus Christ God's Son Saviour

[edit on 16-7-2010 by icepack]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian the Christian

The Gnostic texts are all late frauds by tiny fringe groups or even lone individuals. Anyone reading this would be well advised to trust the Bible as it came down from Orthodoxy, rather than someone who accuses Wikipedia of being an "accessory before the fact to genocide" and "criminal negligence resulting in genocide."

Many of the gnostic texts date back to the same time, if not earlier, then the gospels. There were different sects that had different beliefs after the time of Jesus. The 'orthodoxy' as you call it, contorlled all the ones that 'the powers' of that time, disagreed with...killing people and burning their 'texts'.

Control and power doesnt suggest truth by any means.

Im not siding with one or the other...Im just saying.

The texts that were buried in Egypt and found are not frauds. Its just showing that different groups had different ways of relating their 'ways' of life to the man called 'Jesus'.

This stems from the fact that different sects viewed the OT differently. So their interpretations of 'Jesus' and his purpose are seen then, differently.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Same wave of thought I see...

And ya know...to take it a step further...Jesus is claimed to of warned about the time when we see the man carrying the pitcher of water (or something like that)....Aquarius is around the corner.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Church (people of God) are the bride.
when we all become one.

Like also when Jesus says about marriage between a man and a woman: "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh"

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When I was a little girl in Sunday School, we were taught that the fish symbol was from Jesus telling Peter "I will make you fishers of men." If the fish symbol evolved from female symbol it makes sense. What better way to fish for men than to use female bait?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup

reply to post by DISRAELI

Church (people of God) are the bride.
when we all become one.

Like also when Jesus says about marriage between a man and a woman: "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh"

Yes, exactly.
And these two ideas are deliberately brought together in Ephesians ch5 vv23-31

[edit on 16-7-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
What better way to fish for men than to use female bait?

It worked on me!

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
In my child like ignorance I always thought the fish symbol stood for a fish.

The fish represented the people and we were to be fishers of men.

This might be explained in the last verse of the last chapter of the book of Matthew in the New Testement.

Maybe I'm too simplistic but it works for me when I see the fish symbol used in a Christain manner.

Please forgive any spelling errors. Been working on my computer and lost my spell ckeck program. Going to find it now.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
it's the pisces. the fish was the symbol for life. it was believed that all life started in water. has nothing to do with jesus. just another pagan belief adopted by christianity to convert pagans.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
In my child like ignorance I always thought the fish symbol stood for a fish.
The fish represented the people and we were to be fishers of men.

Maybe I'm too simplistic but it works for me when I see the fish symbol used in a Christain manner.

I see no reason why the early Christians should not have been thinking of both meanings at the same time- the usual "initial letters" interpretation, and also the "fishing".

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian the Christian

The Gnostic texts are all late frauds by tiny fringe groups or even lone individuals.

This, of course, is what the Christian religious 'authorities' want you to believe.

Billions of dollars are at stake.

Their jobs and their pensions and their wealth and their book contracts and their power and prestige and pride are all at stake.

And, if it came to be known that the Pharisaical-Satanic doctrine of a physical raising of a dead body from the grave is responsible for the Holocaust...

Neither the Jewish nor the Christian religious establishment would want you to know that.

In any case, point out one mistake in my explanation of the reply of Jesus to the Sadducees.

Just one.

Forget the Gnostic texts.

You don't have a clue as to what Jesus himself taught.

And the idea that the male apostles could be "reincarnated" as women seems contradictory from someone who complains about the Gospel of Thomas not being canonical.

Simon Peter says to them: "Let Mary go out from our midst, for women are not worthy of life!" Jesus says: "See, I will draw her so as to make her male so that she also may become a living spirit like you males. For every woman who has become male will enter the Kingdom of heaven."

The world we live in would be so much better if people would restrict their comments only to those subjects with regards to which they actually have some Knowledge.

A woman who receives the Vision of the "Son of man"--like Hagar did in Genesis and like Mary did in the Gospel of Mary--becomes 'male' by that Vision; something which does not in any way interfere with their femininity. In fact, it even intensifies their femininity...

For a reason which you would never believe, even if I told you.

Which, of course, is why 'Jesus loved Mary more than the other disciples and kissed her often on her mouth'. (From the Gospel of Philip)

Jesus kissed her often.

Not merely every once in awhile, but often.

And not on her lips.

On her mouth.

Get it?

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
And, as long as we are talking about the evils of the Roman church in relation to, specifically, women; there is the following article in which the ordination of women is considered to be on a par with pedophilia, no less:

www.independent.co.uk...

"But Jesus loved Mary more than the other disciples and he used to kiss her often on her mouth."

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
When I was a little girl in Sunday School, we were taught that the fish symbol was from Jesus telling Peter "I will make you fishers of men." If the fish symbol evolved from female symbol it makes sense. What better way to fish for men than to use female bait?

A very sick cult leader named David Berg had the exact same idea in the 1970s and sadly exploited it to a disturbingly large extent.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Guys come on.

It's fish god. Illuminati and the elite love fish god, which is a god made up by Africans.

Dagon? pretty well known.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a609e2eca312.jpg[/atsimg]

The Starbucks lady is also a mix God they worship which is a fuse between fish god / Dagon and Semiramis / Queen of Heven.

The Fish symbol has nothing to do with the Bible. It's pagan garbage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join