It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

June (was) Earth's hottest ever: US monitors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Everyone is complaining about how hot it is everywhere. We see this from time to time, and it is normal during a La Nina season. This may or may not get worse as summer goes on. This fall you may even expect more severe thunderstorms than normal. This winter even more snow!

Terra Daily

Last month was the hottest June ever recorded on Earth, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday, amid global climate warming worries.
The combined global land and ocean surface temperature data also found the January-June and April-June periods were the warmest on record, according to NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, which based its findings on measurements that go back as far as 1880.

In June, the combined average for global land and ocean temperatures was 61.1 degrees Fahrenheit (16.2 Celsius) -- 1.22 degrees Fahrenheit (0.68 Celsius) more than the 20th century average of 59.9 degrees Fahrenheit (15.5 Celsius).

Temperatures warmer than average spread throughout the globe in recent months, most prominently in Peru, in the central and eastern United States and in eastern and western Asia, according to NOAA.

In contrast, cooler-than-average conditions affected Scandinavia, southern China and the US northwest.

The Beijing Climate Center found that Inner Mongolia, Heilongjiang and Jilin experienced their warmest June since records began in 1951, while Guizhou saw its coolest June ever.

Spain's nationwide temperatures made June the coolest in 13 years, according to its meteorological surface.

Global ocean surface temperatures averaged 0.97 degrees (0.54 Celsius) above last century's average of 61.5 degrees Fahrenheit (16.4 Celsius) -- the fourth warmest June since records began. The Atlantic Ocean saw the most pronounced warmth, NOAA said.

The average land surface temperature that month was 1.93 degrees Fahrenheit (1.07 Celsius) more than the 20th century average of 55.9 degrees Fahrenheit (13.3 Celsius) -- the warmest ever.

Meanwhile, sea surface temperatures were declining throughout the equatorial Pacific Ocean, in line with the end of El Nino, a climate pattern that lasts an average of five years during which unusually warm sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean move east.

NOAA's Climate Prediction Center forecast that La Nina conditions, where ocean waters in the east-central equatorial Pacific are unusually cool, would likely develop during the northern hemisphere summer this year.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
This is EPIC news....

Hottest ever? Lol, and i have been cooped up in my pad with the AC on as humidity has reached 96% im my province

Still mad news..... Wonder if the trend wil continue or fade away next year?

By the way here in China figures just released show a 932% increase in natural disasters compared to the same time last year!!! go figure? ... And that is just befour tonights typhoon hits in about 1 more hour!

Link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

I think it is due to extra solar activity from the Sun heating the Earth more effecting the the dark liquified mass (oil) that is within the U.S. GoM. Due to this mass being dark in color it should be altering the temps. around its location since its trapping more heat. This is why I think a large hurricane may be spawned and should explain for the high temps. in the US during month of June, I hope not though..... As far as fall and winter weather is concerned if this oil alters the ocean currents responsible for moving the warmer currents around the world then La Nina and El Nino may be effected as well.....

[edit on 7/16/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

I just got hammered by that typhoon as my plane was landing in Manila,two nights ago ,I like the way the pilot said" just a little light rain "understatement of the year.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by 12voltz]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

I just got hammered by that typhoon as my plane was landing in Manila,two nights ago ,I like the way the pilot said" just a little light rain "understatement of the year.Bring it on i love storms and heat.

Glad to hear your ok and still able to post here on ATS

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Just read your thread while you were posting here, how weird is that? Anyway yes, the trend will continue a while longer. Its in the 90's here and will be all week.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long

Originally posted by 12voltz

I just got hammered by that typhoon as my plane was landing in Manila,two nights ago ,I like the way the pilot said" just a little light rain "understatement of the year.Bring it on i love storms and heat.

Glad to hear your ok and still able to post here on ATS

I was thinking the same as I read it...

2nd line

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by redeyedwonder

I think it is due to extra solar activity from the Sun heating the Earth more effecting the the dark liquified mass (oil) that is within the U.S. GoM. Due to this mass being dark in color it should be altering the temps. around its location since its trapping more heat. This is why I think a large hurricane may be spawned and should explain for the high temps. in the US during month of June, I hope not though..... As far as fall and winter weather is concerned if this oil alters the ocean currents responsible for moving the warmer currents around the world then La Nina and El Nino may be effected as well.....

[edit on 7/16/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

We are in a La Nina which is a cooling of the equatorial waters in the Pacific, so it may be a while before the oil can do any changes there.
However I like your point of the oil possibly warming the waters of the Atlantic., possibly causing an El Nino for the UK...weird.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Thanks for the concern ,all is well here but i read that about 40 people were killed and most of Manila and surrounds lost power for 24 hours and a lot of damage .Batten down the hatches Master Shen Long.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Typhoon and hurricane frequency can rise during a La Nina season, hurricane activity remains strangely low this year. Possibly due to the GOM waters being heated by the oil?

[edit on 16-7-2010 by redeyedwonder]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
uh, that only means hottest ever recorded which mean like the last 150 years.

always an ice age or a greenhouse on ATS though. I'll just wait and see how the rest of the year shakes out

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

I was about to mention something similar. Sure, we've recorded the earth's temperature for maybe a hundred years, out of billions of years! Don't freak out.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Heat waves are still continuing, and we haven't even hit August yet. Here in Chicago a week of 90's. At least the rains have let up for now...

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This coincides with a story I posted today.

World simmers in hottest year so far

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

Yes, I read yours too. Seems this year is gonna be a scorcher in some places. Last couple years we only had a few days above 90, and were laughing about "global warming". As I said above we are not even into August and have seen 10 or more days of them. Summer hit early here.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Wonder how much data they had to distort, manipulate, and delete, to come up with these conclusions?

Wonder how many Metropolitan areas, airports, and other areas known to be a few degrees hotter, have temperature recorders around them.

Sorry, but I am just to cynical to blindly take reports like this as fact. Too much deception, and too many grant checks are on the line for this to be believable.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Great post OP, thanks.

Yeah, it is true we have only recorded weather for 150 years or so. What folks need to remember is the incredibly narrow envelop of environmental conditions which have allowed civilization as we know to get to where it is today.

Ice cores have proved much wilder and more frequent fluctuations in earths past. The relative calm we are sitting in more of an exception than a norm. Some have even suggested this calm IS the reason for the rise of our civilization in the last 1000-2000 years. Before that, that wild weather kept our numbers down and focused us on merely surviving rather than thriving.

It would not take the disasters of biblical proportions so warmly embraced on ATS and other places to throw a serious wrench into the works. Some extended droughts here, shorter growing seasons there, and we have a whole new ball game affecting our agriculture and our economy.

Of course this in not a polarized response, no gloom/doom nor global warming is all a hoax, so I expect no response. I just hope people realize how thin a veneer we exist on.

new topics

top topics

join